Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 394788 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #1200 on: September 06, 2009, 03:34:08 am »

Its not and is. Its in the middle.

According to Moldwin’s Demarcation Criteria, SETI qualifies, although its major hypothesis, that alien exist and they can give us the finger, lacks fallibility. Which is a key component for the sci. method.

Its not a clear psedo science, and its not a clear science. I dont think you can be wrong to call it one or the other. I do find it wrong to say that isn't one or the other.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: September 06, 2009, 05:10:57 am »

If one assumes that aliens exist simply because it cannot be disproven then that is being silly. If one sets up an experiment, making reasonable assumptions about how one might detect aliens and avoiding any phenomena that have existing explanations, and then proceeds to perform the experiment, then should they receive favourable data it would be prudent to accept their hypothesis until a similar experiment can provide evidence of an alternate explanation.

For any 'god' entity to have relevance it must have some influence upon the world. Therefore one should be able to measure such influence in the same manner.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 09:12:34 am by RAM »
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: September 06, 2009, 06:49:45 am »

Yes for example if I were to post this on page 80 I would be breaking the rule.

Damn, I miscounted.
I was planning on doing that sort of a thing, but was away during page 80. Luckily, I'm here for page 81.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: September 06, 2009, 06:55:41 am »

Yes for example if I were to post this on page 80 I would be breaking the rule.

Damn, I miscounted.
I was planning on doing that sort of a thing, but was away during page 80. Luckily, I'm here for page 81.
Dammit man!

jayt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: September 06, 2009, 02:09:32 pm »

Could god microwave a burrito so hot that he could not eat it?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: September 06, 2009, 02:54:20 pm »

Its not and is. Its in the middle.

According to Moldwin’s Demarcation Criteria, SETI qualifies, although its major hypothesis, that alien exist and they can give us the finger, lacks fallibility. Which is a key component for the sci. method.

It doesn't, really. It's theoretically falsifiable, just really really difficult because studying the universe at large is so far out of our grasp right now.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: September 06, 2009, 03:53:59 pm »

I consider myself an atheist.
this explains why every time you speak I feel inclined to argue against you without any reason whatsoever... BTW you are also an extremist pessimist dedicated to remove all fun from life.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: September 06, 2009, 04:18:02 pm »

Yes.  No.  Maybe both.  Who knows what kind of crazy crap you can do when you have power over all the universe?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: September 06, 2009, 04:19:08 pm »

this explains why every time you speak I feel inclined to argue against you without any reason whatsoever... BTW you are also an extremist pessimist dedicated to remove all fun from life.

Hey hey now. I read the post you're quoting from, and he hardly seemed that "extremist" (does that even mean anything?) or pessimistic at all, and I don't knwow here you get the "dedicated to remove all fun from life" part from.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Rvlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: September 06, 2009, 04:40:10 pm »

Hey hey now. I read the post you're quoting from, and he hardly seemed that "extremist" (does that even mean anything?) or pessimistic at all, and I don't knwow here you get the "dedicated to remove all fun from life" part from.
Haven't you seen the [EVIL][INTELLIGENT] tag Jaked122 is using, it seems that an intelligent force of evil has come to lay siege on this thread. :P

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: September 06, 2009, 04:41:25 pm »

Intelligent? The tags broken, I don't know of an intelligent person who'd jump onto a thread and insult people like that.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: September 06, 2009, 04:42:24 pm »

Agreed.

Catholic god?

Nope.

(Omnipotence, ironically, doesn't mean you can do anything and everything - just anything that's possible.)
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: September 06, 2009, 04:43:20 pm »

Really? I always thought that he could microwave a burrito so hot he could not eat it, right up until the point where he could.

It makes a twisted kind of nonsensical sense.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: September 06, 2009, 04:44:34 pm »

I dunno, I'm just going with what the bishop told me.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: September 06, 2009, 04:45:41 pm »

I'm making it up, so I'm more wrong than you! Ha ha!
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 370