Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 394861 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #1110 on: September 02, 2009, 06:16:57 am »

Quite frankly, if we get everyone to agree that 4chan is weird, we'll have accomplished more than this entire thread.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: September 02, 2009, 06:44:41 am »

I regard this thread as a great accomplishment, I mean, honestly, who could have thought it would go this long without being locked?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: September 02, 2009, 06:48:08 am »

Too true. We may have been brash at times, but I think we came away as better people.

Or as people, certainly.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: September 02, 2009, 08:04:46 am »

I think this thread has kept going since it always seems to derail or die before something lock worthy happens.

As for 4chan, I regarded the fact that they had no problem with putting Hentai on the front page as evidence that I should steer well clear.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: September 02, 2009, 12:01:22 pm »

Dude, what happened to the (anti-)religion discussion?
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: September 02, 2009, 02:28:22 pm »

Well, going back to the first post, which is supposed to set the scene for the thread:

So, how do you atheists, explain all these above?
I have had a experience that I'd describe as meeting God (it was not a near-death experience)
I've met anime characters and characters from novels in my dreams, but that doesn't mean they exist.  If you've been thinking about something a lot, you can have a dream or sometimes even an image of it whilst awake (I usually get these when I'm tired).
but even without it I wouldn't be able to understand how you think you're alone in the universe.
I'm not "alone".  There are many other human beings on this earth with me.  Billions.  All of them just as capable of perception, intelligence and emotion as I am.
Everything is so perfect,
But it isn't though, is it?  If life were perfect then everyone would get an equal chance in life, but they don't.  Some people are born into rich families and get whatever they want, while others inherit horrible genetic diseases that kill them quickly.  The same goes in nature too - why would a benevolent God create a world which had a worm that lived by burrowing through childrens' eyeballs?
there's a reason for everything
Well, no, there isn't.  If I throw a dice and it comes up 6, it doesn't mean I've rigged it.  If I buy a lottery ticket and win, it doesn't mean I've cheated.  Some things are random.
and there are so many "coincidences", how's that?
What is a coincidence?  Isn't it just something that appeals to the human brain's concept of "strange"?  Let's take a random example.  David Beckham was born on May 2nd.  The Queen was born on February 6.  Wow!  There's a 1/133225 chance of that happening!  But the thing is, something has to happen.  And sometimes that thing is strange.  When, for instance, was the last time that you were surprised that a really interesting and exciting coincidence didn't happen?
How did everything start?
This is a difficult question, but "God did it" doesn't solve anything.  Where did God come from?  Why did God make the universe as he did?  How did God make the universe?  How does God operate?  How can you detect God?  Simply invoking God doesn't solve any of the important questions.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: September 02, 2009, 03:45:18 pm »

There are "so many coincidences" because million-to-one events are bound to happen pretty damn often when you have a billion chances of them per day. Also, you tend to remember when things are unusual a lot more than you remember when they aren't.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: September 02, 2009, 07:08:14 pm »

Where did God come from is a weak retort to the god did it answer to universe creation.

The retort I think is better, is that an answer that can be applied to everything is an answer to nothing.

What coincidences?

I look. I see none.

Douglas Adam Puddle story come to mind. Life came to be for this universe, the universe didnt come to be for life.

If the universe did come to be for life, then why is majority of the universe deadly for life?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: September 02, 2009, 07:11:23 pm »

Since Toady seems to be moving in on off topic stuff, this topic is the walking dead.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: September 02, 2009, 07:13:18 pm »

What do you mean? This thread is surprisingly on-topic for how long it is.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: September 02, 2009, 07:15:40 pm »

It gets derailed every now and then, but it's still talking about its subject matter for the most part. ;D
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: September 02, 2009, 07:52:46 pm »

Well, nothings been achieved, though that's not so bad, but when it derails, it does so for pages at a time, long enough to warrant a lock.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: September 02, 2009, 08:14:35 pm »

Honestly, right now it seems like the only person trying to derail the thread is you. The rest of us were talking about the original topic.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: September 02, 2009, 08:18:07 pm »

That's fair. Sorry.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: September 02, 2009, 09:00:37 pm »

how can you achieve anything in a forum thread?

I believe in nihilism/buddhism. Either nothing happens or we all are worshipping the same God in different forms.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 370