Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 394941 times)

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #1050 on: August 31, 2009, 01:40:53 am »

"Corrupted by Religion"
Corrupted by _____.
Everything corrupts in some damned manner. Politics is probably worse, but that's my opinion.

I'm pretty sure that 99% of all major 'corrupted by religion' events were actually political events using religion as a tool. Crusades? 9/11? Israel/Palestine war? Yup.

Sure, there's some stuff about getting offended by someone else's religion, but it's normally by people who try to claim the moral high ground by looking religious. "THAT GUY IS A PAGAN WHO THREATENED OUR HOLY NATION! IF YOU VOTE FOR ME, I'LL KILL HIM!"
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: August 31, 2009, 01:41:54 am »

Have you ever heard of the attempts to remove the "Under God" from school pledge thing

I find it to be such a harmless statement anyhow.

That's not my point, my point is that "anyone who wants that to be changed should lobby" is a very naive comment. It IS being lobbied, and everyone who lobbies is being attacked as unamerican, demon-possessed, anti-apple-pie and all that shit.

It also quite simply wasn't there before, was it? Now consider in 50 years if someone had added "Satan compels you", what would every Christians would be trying to do then.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 01:43:47 am by Sergius »

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: August 31, 2009, 01:42:41 am »

-Native
I find that offensive and demand it be removed in the name of my rights given by the universe that revolves around me.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: August 31, 2009, 01:59:17 am »

I figured nobody should get offended or have any objection to this tiny change:

Oh, Allah! can you see by the dawn's early light
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming;
Whose broad stripes and bright stars, through the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming?
And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that Mohammed was still there:
Oh, say! does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: August 31, 2009, 02:01:24 am »

That was cool.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: August 31, 2009, 02:05:07 am »

I figured nobody should get offended or have any objection to this tiny change:

Oh, Allah! can you see by the dawn's early light
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming;
Whose broad stripes and bright stars, through the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming?
And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that Mohammed was still there:
Oh, say! does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

Well, the syllable count in the first line goes a bit off, but it's funny.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: August 31, 2009, 02:06:35 am »

I don't understand why everyone has to argue over whether or not something is bad or not. The debate should be about whether or not something is true or not. Every time people argue over these overtly emotional pleas, people are offended and positions simply solidify.
!!&!!

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: August 31, 2009, 02:07:23 am »

Positions are so solid now we aren't going to change them with an atom bomb.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: August 31, 2009, 02:48:12 am »

I think the major instance here is that there is no reason to remove them unless everyone wants to.
The same thing could equally be said about racial slurs...

I'm pretty sure that 99% of all major 'corrupted by religion' events were actually political events using religion as a tool.
Exactly! Religion can be used as a tool, people are too loyal to religion and it can easily have people acting without thinking of the consequences.

Christianity requires devotion to religion beyond all other concerns.

Christianity (supposedly) requires devotion to the service of others, not religion.

Yeah. And since when did joining Christianity mean you had to focus everything towards it beyond all other concerns? That's not what I was told.
You make it sound as though I said that you had to drop everything and live in a church. What I mean is that in all matters religion should be your highest priority. Christianity means obeying the religion, if you have to lie in order to help someone then you that isn't christianity, because lying isn't allowed. If you can find a single quote from Jesus that permits service to others to be put before service to god you might have an argument, but until then you should face the fact that if a christian's god commands them to inflict suffering on others then they have to do so in order to maintain their religion. If you have been taught a version of christianity that doesn't demand that your god be the most important thing to you then that is just weird...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: August 31, 2009, 02:54:12 am »

Well, look at it this way. If God told me to do something, I'd drop everything and do it (after some healthy skepticism, obviously) but if you think being Christian means not doing anything like go into politics or join the army because you think God should come first and you can't serve him properly whilst doing whatever else, I'd have to disagree. God should come first, but our religion basically boils down to "do good, be tolerant and be kind". I don't see how that prevents me from doing anything else.
God is the most important authority figure in my life, but he's also the one that does the least, and by no means is he my only one. Taking a oath of obedience is acceptable, but if God told me personally "Don't do that!" I'd take it as read that I shouldn't, and thus wouldn't. If a priest told me "don't do that!" well, he's a priest, not God. As for considering the religious ramifications of other soldiers, that assumes they're all Christians too. Other religious have other structures and that's fine by me. I won't shove religion down someone's throat if they don't do it to me. Sure, killing is supposed to be a no no, but I always took that to mean murder, unjustifiable or not. A soldiers sins are not as bad as a mass murderers. Nowhere near as bad, even assuming they
a) Look upon them as sins
and
b) Are in fact Christians.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 02:58:10 am by Jackrabbit »

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: August 31, 2009, 02:59:21 am »

I think the major instance here is that there is no reason to remove them unless everyone wants to.
The same thing could equally be said about racial slurs...

I'm pretty sure that 99% of all major 'corrupted by religion' events were actually political events using religion as a tool.
Exactly! Religion can be used as a tool, people are too loyal to religion and it can easily have people acting without thinking of the consequences.

Christianity requires devotion to religion beyond all other concerns.

Christianity (supposedly) requires devotion to the service of others, not religion.

Yeah. And since when did joining Christianity mean you had to focus everything towards it beyond all other concerns? That's not what I was told.
You make it sound as though I said that you had to drop everything and live in a church. What I mean is that in all matters religion should be your highest priority. Christianity means obeying the religion, if you have to lie in order to help someone then you that isn't christianity, because lying isn't allowed. If you can find a single quote from Jesus that permits service to others to be put before service to god you might have an argument, but until then you should face the fact that if a christian's god commands them to inflict suffering on others then they have to do so in order to maintain their religion. If you have been taught a version of christianity that doesn't demand that your god be the most important thing to you then that is just weird...

Catholics are taught to love God.

They are also taught that the way to love God is to and love serve others. To serve and love others is to serve and love the Catholic God.

That's what I was taught.

Whole point being, do good things for other people, because it's the nice thing to do.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: August 31, 2009, 03:31:02 am »

Taking a oath of obedience is acceptable, but if God told me personally "Don't do that!" I'd take it as read that I shouldn't, and thus wouldn't.
So you don't see any issue with agreeing to obey when you know full well that you are willing to renounce that obedience at a moments notice? A christian is only allowed one master.

Whole point being, do good things for other people, because it's the nice thing to do.
But that is the key issue, you do it because god wants you to, nice has nothing to do with it. If god comes along and say, hey people, it's time for armageddon, everyone with a halo please proceed directly to the light. The 'nice' thing to do would be to comfort any people who are distressed by this, but if you do that then you will lose your halo...

Besides, for christians god decides what nice is, all to often that has been "save them from their pagan ways"...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: August 31, 2009, 03:41:45 am »

Taking a oath of obedience is acceptable, but if God told me personally "Don't do that!" I'd take it as read that I shouldn't, and thus wouldn't.
So you don't see any issue with agreeing to obey when you know full well that you are willing to renounce that obedience at a moments notice? A christian is only allowed one master.

But that is the key issue, you do it because god wants you to, nice has nothing to do with it. If god comes along and say, hey people, it's time for armageddon, everyone with a halo please proceed directly to the light. The 'nice' thing to do would be to comfort any people who are distressed by this, but if you do that then you will lose your halo...

Besides, for christians god decides what nice is, all to often that has been "save them from their pagan ways"...

Heh. That's a nice straw man you've built.

Catholics don't believe in a literal Armageddon. (well, the ones who know their theology.) That's a fundamentalist belief. The book of Revelations is acknowledged to have been written as

a) a sociological commentary
and
b) on drugs

Catholics are supposed to do good things for the sake of being good, not because God wants them to. Get your facts straight.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: August 31, 2009, 03:45:54 am »

Should I take this 'oath', then the only thing about my religion that would make me back down would be God explicitly telling me to. Himself.
And what makes you think I'd consider any of my higher ups my 'master'? Of course God is my master, I wouldn't think of slapping that term on anyone else. You start calling your boss 'master', see how he takes it. Sure, I'd be loyal to my boss, but I wouldn't consider him my 'master', excessive inverted commas. As for agreeing to obey, that's a fairly restrictive term. What do you mean by obey? As in, do whatever the person you are obeying wishes, no matter what it is?

Besides, for Christian's god decides what nice is, all to often that has been "save them from their pagan ways"...

What exactly makes you think that we believe in a literal Armageddon? And even if it happened, our belief is that God is kind and forgiving. If he punished those who comfort those are being 'left below', if such a ridiculous thing were to occur, then he is not the God I believe in, and therefore not someone I'd worship.

No! I'm getting drawn into this, this stupidity and pointlessness!
I shall respect others viewpoints!
I shall remain true to my own!
I shall... Escape!
Jackrabbit has left the bickering!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 03:59:39 am by Jackrabbit »

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: August 31, 2009, 04:21:22 am »

This is the thread that never ends,
It goes on and on, my friends.
People started posting it, not knowing what it was,
And people kept on posting forever just because...

*Song to the the tune of the song that never ends*

« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 05:53:09 am by Osmosis Jones »
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 370