Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 393328 times)

SniHjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Hacenten
Re: Atheists
« Reply #885 on: June 13, 2009, 07:30:23 am »

EDIT: I GET IT NOW!!! All of you are actually normal people, trolling me! This is the most elaborate troll ever, I was actually convinced there was normal people that held your opinions. Hahaha, Now that the jokes over, you guys can all go back to being normal people, with normal viewpoints, and letting everyone live together in normal peace and normal harmony like you normally would. Lead the kind of stuff I see in this thread to the ridiculous extremists  ;D
Woo, you guys sure got me good. I'm glad it's over now though.

I might have added a few normal in there...

If you really think that there is somesort of baseline normal, then you are seriously deluded.
That [Magma] is a bit deep down there, don't you think?
You really aren't thinking like a dwarf.

If you think it is down too far, you move it up until it reaches an acceptable elevation.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: June 13, 2009, 08:20:24 am »

And in the short three hundred or so years that the middle east was a glorious place for experimentation, math and astronomy. It was all stopped and deemed evil by religion. Religion doesn't foster science. At best it stands aside. Generally its in the way, and science is trying to walk around religion.

Religion does foster science in that case. Last link says so. The thought is that God created humans and gave Him knowledge in order to prove Satan's arrogance. Knowledge is thus, God's devil-slaying gift. Want more links? :P

But otherwise, I agree with you. Somewhere after that three hundred or so years, the meaning of jihad generally changed to mean "killing for Allah" instead of "researching for Allah". Blind fanaticism causes far more bad than good. Someone thought it was far easier to gain respect by talking loud about Faith, proving that he's better at theology, than actually going out there and discovering something new.

I don't give much thought to people who oppose stem cells, cloning, or evolution when they know nothing about it. They're just hiding behind religion to fight against things they don't understand. These same people would oppose things like nuclear weapons and government if they had a reason to use religion to back up their view.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: June 13, 2009, 05:41:58 pm »

This is a complete contradiction to the atheist viewpoint that "We don't try and FORCE others to subscribe to our beliefs, THEY do".

The atheist viewpoint seems to be "Everyone should be an atheist, but it it wrong to force others into atheism with violence." Shooting people who do not subscribe to your belief system seems to be something that monotheists do alot more than polytheists and atheists. Which makes sense, as the three major monotheistic religions are run by an malign demiurge and his servants.

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: June 13, 2009, 05:45:17 pm »

The very fact that it's done in the name of religion, as opposed to by religion, supports my point.
Yes, an abstract concept is supposed to actually do things itself. What has science done then? People do research in the name of science, people do experiments in the name of science, science does not do research or experiments.
Goddamn! Grasping at straws here, aren't you!

Nah uh, you're the one who got it wrong. The whole damn country is KKK. And what you're suggesting is that the black guy paint his face white to fit in.
Well FUCK THAT.
I'm confused. Do you live in America? If you do, do you live in the Bible Belt? I have found your problem. I've been all up and down the East coast(which represents a size-able amount of the country) and have never found an area where i am surrounded by enormous amounts of religious zealots lynching atheists. The entire country is NOT KKK, one building is KKK, and I'm suggesting the black guy stay away from that building (of course, if it's a public place then he should protest/take action to get them out of there so he can enjoy it as well)

Ah but then it's not good that was done, it's just a side effect of a  selfisch act. In my opinion, that's not something credit should be given for.
Okay so what is the difference? The result is exactly the same. Who gives a shit whether it was actually good or just a "side effect of a selfish act" if the end result is exactly the same.
You're trying to argue 2*3 is better than 3+3 for getting the answer 6.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 08:33:38 pm by Chutney »

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #889 on: June 13, 2009, 06:52:57 pm »

Hi!  I'm back in this thread yet again to encourage people to be civil.  Warnings are the next step.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: June 13, 2009, 06:53:56 pm »

Thank goodness.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: June 13, 2009, 07:16:29 pm »

Shooting people who do not subscribe to your belief system seems to be something that monotheists do alot more than polytheists and atheists..
There are more monotheists than polytheists and atheists.  The prior vastly outnumbers the prior, and there have been far too few religion-based holocausts to support that statement.  It is there fore a statistical impossibility for your statement to be false.

If you look at history there are quite a few violent polytheistic countries, about as many as there are non-violent.

Then you have the rare incident of an atheist going to a religious gathering with a gun, and pointing it at someone's head while asking them if they believe in God.  They say "yes," they normally get a bullet through their head.

No hypotheses on religion (be it denial or not) is immune from having idiots willing to kill people that don't agree with them.  Atheism is the only belief (lack, whatever), that has never been organized enough to go to war.  If an atheistic nation was around during the crusade period, for example, they easily might have joined in in the name of "educating those blinded by theism" (that sounds like a medievalish statement) if only they were led by one of those idiots, which back then was entirely possible.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: June 13, 2009, 08:34:49 pm »

Hi!  I'm back in this thread yet again to encourage people to be civil.  Warnings are the next step.
This is probably because of me. I deleted what I think is the offending statement, and would like to apologize to you (Toady), and SniHJen. A temporary nerd-rage came over me, I am better now :(

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: June 13, 2009, 11:06:34 pm »

Sometimes I wonder if Toady One only watches us and pops in to lock threads and tell us to be nice.

He's sort of like God in that way, just here to smite us when we're being excessively foolish. I think God got bored of smiting us after a few thousand years. The destruction of VN was like Noah's flood :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: June 13, 2009, 11:27:46 pm »

Sorry Toady.

This thread just won't be complete until it reaches 666 pages...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: June 13, 2009, 11:32:25 pm »

Sorry Toady.

Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: June 13, 2009, 11:40:22 pm »

Thank goodness.
... for Chef Boyardee?
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: June 13, 2009, 11:46:06 pm »

Sorry Toady.

No, 999, the number of the Megabeast.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: June 14, 2009, 01:15:05 am »

There are more monotheists than polytheists and atheists.  The prior vastly outnumbers the prior, and there have been far too few religion-based holocausts to support that statement.  It is there fore a statistical impossibility for your statement to be false.

I am fairly certain it works out that way even if you take (number of killings by monotheists/number of monotheists) vs. (number of killings by polytheists/number of polytheists)

SniHjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Hacenten
« Reply #899 on: June 14, 2009, 03:34:21 am »

This is probably because of me. I deleted what I think is the offending statement, and would like to apologize to you (Toady), and SniHJen. A temporary nerd-rage came over me, I am better now :(

Was that because of my claim that there is no baseline "Normal"?

If so, then it's my fault, looking over it, it is rather rude, I could have made the point without resorting to "namecalling"

I apologize.
That [Magma] is a bit deep down there, don't you think?
You really aren't thinking like a dwarf.

If you think it is down too far, you move it up until it reaches an acceptable elevation.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 370