Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 392862 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #720 on: June 03, 2009, 08:28:20 pm »

Three questions:
 Do you supports the concept of basing your decisions primarily on factors that you do not understand?

Do you consider anything to be more important than god for making decisions?

Do you understand god?

The way I see it, either you understand god, in which case you could enlighten this discussion no end by describing those aspects of god that you understand.
Or you do not understand god, in which case I can't see any alternative to the conclusion that worship is foolish...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: June 03, 2009, 10:54:57 pm »

Three questions:
 Do you supports the concept of basing your decisions primarily on factors that you do not understand?

Do you consider anything to be more important than god for making decisions?

Do you understand god?

The way I see it, either you understand god, in which case you could enlighten this discussion no end by describing those aspects of god that you understand.
Or you do not understand god, in which case I can't see any alternative to the conclusion that worship is foolish...
According to the previous discussions... there's no way we could ever possibly understand "God"... This is from the religious crowd.

The only way I can describe belief is that they trust that what they are taught about "God" is accurate because it appeals to their "Right vs Wrong meter."  The idea of "God" appeals to them because it says "God" is the answer to the unknown, giving them a solution to unexplainable problems.  Religion steps in and appeals to their needs, so it's comforting in giving them power over a person by using this almighty power.  It tries to give them answers to all of the needs defined in ontology and every level of Maslow's Hierarchy including the Physiological needs (Homeostasis: by trying to conform to a common environment of "church life" with regulators being priests and conformers being followers?)  Now, you could argue with me on the chicken/egg scenario on these theories and the influence of religion on their definition and I'd agree.  It's kind of a loose argument, but pretty much all human needs are addressed by the religions (even if I believe it's just smoke and mirrors and wave of the hand answers.)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: June 04, 2009, 04:12:43 am »

*sighs* You are absolutely right, some people do seem to be better off with religion. But I want something that I can understand, or at least be confident of. Science is good at this, but is quite limited. Reason can be a little shaky when it comes to confidence, but can cover just about anything. Religion has no limits at all, precisely because it is completely unsatisfying, I could make up anything at all and as long as I accept it then it would be just as good as religion.

Can anyone defeat my assertion that I am god?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: June 04, 2009, 07:26:21 am »

Not at all, because you could always use God's cop-out and tell everyone you shouldn't have to prove yourself. ;)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: June 04, 2009, 04:38:20 pm »

Edit:  Never mind, you two probably can't even keep different religions straight.  All I'll say is that anyone who thinks Jesus a bigot has only heard about him from hearsay.  From faux-Christians.  And is probably a bigot himself for claiming religious people are immoral.
No true Scotsman fallacy in action here.

Anyway, he threatened all non Jews with eternal damnation (for the first time in the bible).  You can't get much more bigoted than that.
Not at all, because you could always use God's cop-out and tell everyone you shouldn't have to prove yourself. ;)
Funnily enough, there is a story in the old testament about how they dealt with worshipers of Baal.  They said Baal was fake.  Why?  Because Baal couldn't defend his people from the onslaught of Yahweh's armies.  So there it is, the bible gives us a way of telling if a God is fake: If he does nothing, he must be fake.  Perfect.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: June 04, 2009, 05:47:28 pm »

Oh hell why am I even bothering with you guys.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: June 04, 2009, 05:48:33 pm »

Wasn't it in revelations? The last chapter(?) of the bible was about how the sinners would be punished.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: June 04, 2009, 05:50:57 pm »

Revalations?  The part of the Bible about the apocalypse?  That's the ass-end of the Bible that was made after Jesus as a fear tactic.  By the church.  A long time ago, before religious tolerance.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: June 04, 2009, 05:55:51 pm »

*sighs* You are absolutely right, some people do seem to be better off with religion. But I want something that I can understand, or at least be confident of. Science is good at this, but is quite limited. Reason can be a little shaky when it comes to confidence, but can cover just about anything. Religion has no limits at all, precisely because it is completely unsatisfying, I could make up anything at all and as long as I accept it then it would be just as good as religion.

This reminds of the New Ageism 'its truth to me and that all that counts.' Its absurd. Just because Nazi felt that it was truly needed to kill all the gays, jews and gypies. No New Ager would agree to that notion. Its such hallow thinking.

You can take their thought process, turn it into a puddle and your ankles won't get wet.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: June 04, 2009, 06:20:29 pm »

Revalations?  The part of the Bible about the apocalypse?  That's the ass-end of the Bible that was made after Jesus as a fear tactic.  By the church.  A long time ago, before religious tolerance.

Oh yeah. That part always weirded me out.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: June 04, 2009, 07:33:07 pm »

If you're going to throw away everything after Jesus, then you're going to have to convert to Judaism. Since, you know, Jesus was a Jew and expected his followers to be Jews. The idea that Gentiles can also follow him was made up by Paul, who openly admits he never even met Jesus. So tell us, when are you planning to have your foreskin cut off, eh?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: June 04, 2009, 08:02:32 pm »

If you're going to throw away everything after Jesus, then you're going to have to convert to Judaism. Since, you know, Jesus was a Jew and expected his followers to be Jews. The idea that Gentiles can also follow him was made up by Paul, who openly admits he never even met Jesus. So tell us, when are you planning to have your foreskin cut off, eh?
He american, chances are he already cut. I'm not. Ladies, you have my number.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: June 05, 2009, 02:58:10 pm »

This reminds of the New Ageism 'its truth to me and that all that counts.' Its absurd. Just because Nazi felt that it was truly needed to kill all the gays, jews and gypies. No New Ager would agree to that notion. Its such hallow thinking.

You can take their thought process, turn it into a puddle and your ankles won't get wet.
My opinion exactly.

The entire bible was edited by the same church.  So why trust it at all?

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: June 05, 2009, 08:01:19 pm »

Well how many people here can honestly say they consider the Bible fact?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: June 05, 2009, 09:09:48 pm »

Well how many people here can honestly say they consider the Bible fact?

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 370