Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 392731 times)

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #675 on: May 29, 2009, 02:30:50 pm »

The problem I have with "Warp" speed is that the stars would vanish as you passed them because the light wouldn't be able to catch the ship... unless of course what we know as the speed of light is actually the minimal (or perfect?) speed which particles traveling emit visible light.  I mean it's totally possible that there is something traveling faster than light, but we can't see them or they appear as "random" waves or background noise to us.  For all we know, the known universe could be traveling faster than light speed which could explain why we don't see beyond a certain aspect. (And no, I don't buy that a person traveling at light speed experiences slower time... just slower perception of time as they "catch up" to the light emitted from the past.)

And why don't you buy it? We've taken two atomic clocks, synchronized the, let one sit in a building, while the other was sent flying around the world in a plane for a few days, such that it's speed relative to the speed of the other atomic clock was significantly faster. The results were that the clock which was on the plane, for the duration of it's flight, ticked slower. Enough slower to be measured. And which plugged into Einsteins equations to measure time dilation, the results matched the prediction perfectly.
!!&!!

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: May 29, 2009, 02:38:17 pm »

Do you guys think the drift observed in scientific constants is real, rumor, or just an effect of more accurate experiments?

FUTURAMA! "Same reason scientists were/will be able to raise the speed of light in 2208."

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: May 29, 2009, 02:46:40 pm »

Some 'constants' may drift as a consequence of the expansion of the universe. Perhaps it's a result of more accurate experiments, but the possibility of some sort of drift occuring is interesting, if not useful.
!!&!!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: May 29, 2009, 03:16:46 pm »

To my understanding its real, but I don't know why.

I've heard it might be a measurement artifact, or possible affects of MYSTERIOUS dark matter & MYSTERIOUS dark energy. You know, there are MYSTERIOUS.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: May 29, 2009, 04:13:48 pm »

Try to understand it, but can you?  Nope!  It's a mystery!
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Ryo

• Bay Watcher
  • Store item in stockpile
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: May 31, 2009, 12:26:28 pm »

I completely agree with what the people above me have just said which is in no way connected with the thread title which could potentially confuse people who haven't read all 45 pages...

What? No, nothing's in that spoiler there.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 01:12:16 pm by Ryo »

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: May 31, 2009, 12:42:34 pm »

[redundant post that reflects in some ways the opposite of what has gone on in this thread]
Shut up.  This had gotten quite nicely off of that risky topic.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 12:44:59 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: May 31, 2009, 01:51:40 pm »

[redundant post that reflects in some ways the opposite of what has gone on in this thread]

Shut up.  This had gotten quite nicely off of that risky topic.

I can see nothing risky about it, in fact it's quite safe if you're on the right side of the debate. But seeing as you're not, I can see why you'd want to avoid it.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: May 31, 2009, 02:38:43 pm »

I can see nothing risky about it, in fact it's quite safe if you're on the right side of the debate. But seeing as you're not, I can see why you'd want to avoid it.
Okay, why does that sound arrogant?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: May 31, 2009, 03:44:02 pm »

Because you know it to be true? ;)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: May 31, 2009, 04:15:24 pm »

Because you know it to be true? ;)
More like because it's arrogant assumption.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 04:18:09 pm by LegoLord »
Just so I remember

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #686 on: May 31, 2009, 06:06:38 pm »

Obviously this person is not quite as skillful as Jesus Christ, people didn't tell him to prove shit.
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: May 31, 2009, 08:45:14 pm »

Obviously this person is not quite as skillful as Jesus Christ, people didn't tell him to prove shit.

They were all too blinded by the shiny magic tricks. ;)  I hear Mr. Mindfreak is the second messiah.  I once saw him throw a playing card through a fish tank.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: May 31, 2009, 08:51:37 pm »

They were all too blinded by the shiny magic tricks. ;)  I hear Mr. Mindfreak is the second messiah.  I once saw him throw a playing card through a fish tank.
[/quote]
You're comparing curing blindness and leprosy during the first century to a card trick?
Just so I remember

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: May 31, 2009, 09:41:16 pm »

You're comparing curing blindness and leprosy during the first century to a card trick?
I'm sure you're going to cite the Bible as a reference to these magical powers?  If so I have a few books here that claim people can throw fireballs, shoot lighting, and heal others.  I mean, if it's written in a book, it must be true?  We all know how much of the Bible was validated as factual.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 370