Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 392526 times)

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #315 on: May 04, 2009, 06:29:57 pm »

Proven possible, yes, but not actually proven to exist.  Just that there is plenty enough suggesting they can and no evidence saying they can't, without sufficient evidence saying they do.  It's a possibility, of course.

Proven possible?  No.

Yes. -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wormhole

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: May 04, 2009, 06:30:27 pm »

Hmm.  What I got from that article is "One kind could exist, but nothing, even light, could go through--so it's meaningless, no information can go through, so it doesn't really count as a wormhole.  Another kind could exist, but that would require time travel, therefore, it can't exist."
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 04, 2009, 06:40:15 pm »

Well, information could pass through it if they were stable for a significant period of time. They just can't remain stable without intervention of some kind.
!!&!!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: May 04, 2009, 06:44:14 pm »

Sorry if I don't see "requires exotic matter with negative mass and energy" as "possible".  ::)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 04, 2009, 06:46:31 pm »

How would we have an intervention?  If we can't find any, how would we know what they're addicted to?  ;D
(seriously, though, what are the ideas on that?)

@ Sordid: He says they aren't proven possible, you say they are and point to the article (which I had previously looked into), say it had been proven possible, and then you throw a copy&paste at me like I didn't agree?  I think you misunderstood me.  Just don't worry about it.

Proof of Burden is smaller. There proof for it. There not alot disagreement about it.

Wormholes as a proposal without anything backing it, the default claim would be still to say its not there.

Wormholes have been proven to exist indirectly. Finding one, would be conformation of something known to exist. It in a similar state that black holes where.

Known to exist, but yet to be observed.

I wonder . . . could God be an explanation for a random series of small wormholes that occurred briefly a long time ago, creating "miracles"? 

Hm.  Well, there's no real way to look at the past, so no real way to tell if there were wormholes, seeing as we haven't found any yet and don't know how to track them.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: May 04, 2009, 06:50:36 pm »

I wonder . . . could God be an explanation for a random series of small wormholes that occurred briefly a long time ago, creating "miracles"? 

Or maybe it was crystals and pyramids.  ::)

Combining science and religion is not necessarily a bad thing.
Combining astrophysics and religion on the other hand...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 06:54:14 pm by Sowelu »

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 04, 2009, 06:55:13 pm »

I thought astrophysics was a science?  Anyway, just a hypothetical suggestion.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: May 04, 2009, 07:00:03 pm »

Yes, you can invent any unknown quantity to fill any unknown space. What Causes lightning? I wonder... Could Zeus be an explanation for lightning?
!!&!!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 04, 2009, 07:03:10 pm »

Yeah, astrophysics is a science.  And I use tools to upgrade a computer, but bringing a hammer to your workbench is probably not going to mean good things are going to happen... >_>

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 04, 2009, 07:28:53 pm »

@ Sordid: He says they aren't proven possible, you say they are and point to the article (which I had previously looked into), say it had been proven possible, and then you throw a copy&paste at me like I didn't agree?  I think you misunderstood me.  Just don't worry about it.

Huh, you post something completely irrelevant and not to the point, I call you out on it, and I'm the one who's misunderstanding? You've got nerve, I'll give you that.

The other way around, but it's such a convoluted and improbable possibility that it's not even worth seriously considering, IMO, when there are other, far more plausible alternatives.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: May 04, 2009, 07:37:13 pm »

Wormholes and black holes, while mathematically probable, are based on equations based on theory.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: May 04, 2009, 07:39:30 pm »

The difference is that black holes don't require exotic matter, and black holes don't imply the existence of time travel.

"If A then B"...  If "B" is time travel, well, I think you just asserted !A.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: May 04, 2009, 07:44:54 pm »

We know black holes exist.  We just don't know what they are or how they work.  They definitely pull and bend light around them; possibly even sucking that up.  The most common (scientifically respected) idea is that they are super-massive objects with gravity great enough to at least affect light.

Then there are super-massive black holes (bigger super-massive objects) that tend to be the cores of galaxies.
Just so I remember

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: May 04, 2009, 07:54:37 pm »

The difference is that black holes don't require exotic matter, and black holes don't imply the existence of time travel.

"If A then B"...  If "B" is time travel, well, I think you just asserted !A.
Don't confuse the issues though.  Both of them are unproven and unseen... and as I've stated, they are theoretically possible using formulas based on theory.  It's like making a guess based on a guess.  As far as we know, black holes could just be super-stellar emitters (like a whirlpool of matter) seen from above.  I don't think it's a coincidence that there are theories for both a black hole and an emitter in the center of our galaxy. 
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 04, 2009, 07:55:54 pm »

We know black holes exist.
Theoretically... unless you have pictures of one for me. ;)
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 370