Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 392540 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #300 on: May 04, 2009, 03:04:41 am »

He just said it split off from another universe. There's not necessarily any energy gain still going on.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: May 04, 2009, 03:19:47 am »

Precisely. Cells require energy to divide, but they already have that energy, and can expend it. The resultant cells can continue to divide until they run out of steam and die.

The real point is that I was making a metaphor to describe something far more complicated than it sounds.
!!&!!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: May 04, 2009, 03:41:24 am »

Make a 'bad' universe and chuck all the excessive entropy and gravity in there and let them duke it out in private without bothering all your happy little planetoids...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: May 04, 2009, 04:31:01 am »

Hey. A way to reverse entropy. Asimov will not be pleased.
!!&!!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: May 04, 2009, 04:59:31 am »

Hey. A way to reverse entropy. Asimov will not be pleased.

*laughs*
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: May 04, 2009, 11:02:17 am »

Too lazy to look it up myself, isn't that quote about sufficiently advanced technology being indistinguishable from magic from Asimov? It's propapbly my favorite quote ever.

And re: expanding universe: last i heard, the current theors says it's expanding faster than she speed of light. i would assume that means it's infinite for any practical pupose, until we figure out FTL travel. assuming that's possible. If humanity doesn't destroy itself first, i immagine we'll figure it out eventually.

and i agree with father_alexander: you believe what makes you feel good, and i'll believe what i want.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: May 04, 2009, 02:32:53 pm »

It was Arthur C Clarke. The Guy who brought us Geostationary satellites. (died 19.March.2008).
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: May 04, 2009, 02:59:24 pm »

Last I heard the universe was created by a collision of vibrating (much like sound, so I've always got a laugh at "the Lord spoke and it was") super-dimensional blah blah blah theoretical strings which resulted in an explosion of various kinds of matter that we are of. When you consider we do the same thing further down the hierarchy with common matter in particle accelerators, it really doesn't sound that impossible to create a big bang.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: May 04, 2009, 04:34:18 pm »

I actually thought of that before, during private musings one day when I couldn't focus on class.  If one could discover how the big bang happened, it could potentially be replicated; if it worked in the faster-than-light-expansion-from-nothing, then by somehow containing the process, could we produce infinite energy?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 04, 2009, 04:36:45 pm »

I actually thought of that before, during private musings one day when I couldn't focus on class.  If one could discover how the big bang happened, it could potentially be replicated; if it worked in the faster-than-light-expansion-from-nothing, then by somehow containing the process, could we produce infinite energy?

Though the rules for the first 4 minuets of the big bang were different they they are now, any induced big bang would be beheld to the rules now. Perpetual energy is impossible. Don't blame me, blame nineteenth century mathematicians.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 04, 2009, 04:44:32 pm »

Yep thats right iirc. Thought there are theories that state that the multiverse is some kind of foam. So for energy you would have just to open a wormhole to a bigbang-universe. That this wormholes are mathematical possible was proven also iirc.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: May 04, 2009, 04:47:17 pm »

Proven possible?  No.

In any case there's that whole matter/antimatter fun stuff.  It's expected to be in a balance.  Where's the rest of it?  Who knows!  But it's probably somewhere.

In general my understanding of modern "creating a big bang" theory is that, if it happens anywhere, it would be at a smaller scale than we can use, and it would be hard-or-impossible to interact with.  If a region of space is expanding so fast that, outside of a certain horizon, it is impossible to ever go or receive information from...well, you might as well be in your own totally contained universe, right?  How could you ever know it was inside another one?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: May 04, 2009, 05:50:18 pm »

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: May 04, 2009, 06:22:20 pm »

Proven possible, yes, but not actually proven to exist.  Just that there is plenty enough suggesting they can and no evidence saying they can't, without sufficient evidence saying they do.  It's a possibility, of course.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: May 04, 2009, 06:29:49 pm »

Proven possible, yes, but not actually proven to exist.  Just that there is plenty enough suggesting they can and no evidence saying they can't, without sufficient evidence saying they do.  It's a possibility, of course.

IC what your doing there.

Proof of Burden is smaller. There proof for it. There not alot disagreement about it.

Wormholes as a proposal without anything backing it, the default claim would be still to say its not there.

Wormholes have been proven to exist indirectly. Finding one, would be conformation of something known to exist. It in a similar state that black holes where.

Known to exist, but yet to be observed.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 370