Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 391977 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #150 on: April 30, 2009, 07:12:34 pm »

1) you are claiming god does not exist because he cannot.  That is not a negative.  Prove he can't exist, and then you can start trying to convert people to atheism.  Until you can know that you are right, don't say they are wrong.  And the fact that you cannot prove atheism right is part of the point; unless you can prove it, by disproving the other possibilities, you cannot claim that others are wrong.
Um. No. To say there isn't enough evidence isn't making a secondary claim that there isn't one. The claim still being discussed is that there is a god. That claim is with the theist.

2) Most Christianity, at any rate, doesn't say anything about punishing non-believers.  I asked a teacher at my Sunday school about it once, and she just said that as long as you are a good person, you will go to heaven (this was her opinion and does not reflect mine, which pretty much says that if God exists, then good people will go to heaven regardless).  So that argument is moot.

You've read the bible, maybe a few choice pieces? Though it varies on what happen if you aren't a christian. Its not positive. The least crappy thing with some kind of christian is limbo. However, if God is indifferent with my belief in him then why bother. I have better things to do then worry about a god.

4)  Stop trying to convert people to atheism.
The what now? I don't care if your an atheist. I want to people to critically think.

5) Stop repeating yourselves.  You already pulled that "false beliefs" card, and it doesn't work unless you can prove that one belief is right over all others.
You haven't answered.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 30, 2009, 07:15:38 pm »

I think missionaries should be put in jail for trying to make people believe what they believe.

So on the one hand right to free belief is sacred but trying to excercise free expression should be punishable by jail time? Interesting ethic you have there.

Nice find. Did you like the irony of him calling upon a sunday school teacher, which in turn are missionary for children?

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 30, 2009, 07:16:59 pm »

I think missionaries should be put in jail for trying to make people believe what they believe.

So on the one hand right to free belief is sacred but trying to excercise free expression should be punishable by jail time? Interesting ethic you have there.

Nice find. Did you like the irony of him calling upon a sunday school teacher, which in turn are missionary for children?

Oh yes, I quite missed that. Delightful. :D

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 30, 2009, 07:20:48 pm »

Are we assholes for this?

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 30, 2009, 07:24:27 pm »

Oh I would think we have lost any semblance of respectability long ago... ;D

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 30, 2009, 07:26:28 pm »

I've looked into what the Sunday school teacher said, myself, dickhead.  I wouldn't have said it otherwise.  Sunday school teachers are payed to teach about a religion.  There are many that don't do anything like what missionaries do, and will tell children that they can believe what they want.  The fact that you didn't realize this, and that that is almost exactly what my sunday school teacher said should have clicked something in your dickheads.

My specific branch of Christianity does not believe in Limbo.

I haven't been ignoring what you've said.  However, you have ignored other points other people have brought up just to attack me.

There is a difference between free expression and acting like everyone should belong to the same religion.  1st amendment, you have the right to believe what religion you want.  People who try to get you to do otherwise should go to jail.  Simple.

If you haven't noticed, you have been posting aggressive anti-religious statements in other threads.  Like dicks.

Yes I did answer your question about false beliefs.  The answer being, it doesn't matter since we don't know which belief isn't false.  For all you know, a cult to some demonic, child-eating figure could be right.  I would rather hold a false belief in that case.

Yes you are assholes.  Don't claim you are trying to make people think critically; to do that you don't have to sway them from their beliefs.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 07:28:20 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 30, 2009, 07:29:08 pm »

Oh I would think we have lost any semblance of respectability long ago... ;D
Aw...

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 30, 2009, 07:36:50 pm »

since you are an atheist, just leave people to their religion.
Says the person posting in a thread titled "Atheists" in which one person was inquiring about Atheists... and not religious people... ;)

Who's the one not letting people have their beliefs?
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 30, 2009, 07:48:16 pm »

since you are an atheist, just leave people to their religion.
Says the person posting in a thread titled "Atheists" in which one person was inquiring about Atheists... and not religious people... ;)

Who's the one not letting people have their beliefs?
Not me.  People were trying to tell religious people to be atheists, even though, as you said, the original post of this thread was to inquire about atheism, which I did, at first, simply try to answer him.  I never said "do not be atheist," I just want you to stop trying to convert people.  Let them get somewhere on their own.  Maybe, by the natural course of their life, they will become an atheist just like you want them to be.  But if you're going to try to make them atheist, shut up.  The same goes for religious people trying to make atheists believe in their religion.  AS I HAVE SAID DOZENS OF TIMES ALREADY!!
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 30, 2009, 07:50:46 pm »

AS I HAVE SAID DOZENS OF TIMES ALREADY!!
Yes, you have... but you keep coming back to twist every post into that.  Are you afraid that the person that originated the thread would be trying to explore the possibility?  Maybe other readers?  Why do you fear it so much that you'd continue to re-iterate it so many times?
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 30, 2009, 07:52:12 pm »

1st amendment, you have the right to believe what religion you want.

1st Commandment: I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery; you shall have no other gods before me.

If you haven't noticed, you have been posting aggressive anti-religious statements in other threads. Like dicks.

No, I haven't noticed that. How about a quote with a link to back that accusation up, hm?

Yes you are assholes.  Don't claim you are trying to make people think critically; to do that you don't have to sway them from their beliefs.

If those beliefs are based on magical, as opposed to critical, thinking, then yes, relinquishing those beliefs is an important step in a person's mental growth. But since you plainly said you'd rather remain intellectually stunted than accept an uncomfortable truth, I don't think there's any point in continuing our discussion.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 30, 2009, 07:53:50 pm »

I've looked into what the Sunday school teacher said, myself, dickhead.  I wouldn't have said it otherwise.  Sunday school teachers are payed to teach about a religion.  There are many that don't do anything like what missionaries do, and will tell children that they can believe what they want.  The fact that you didn't realize this, and that that is almost exactly what my sunday school teacher said should have clicked something in your dickheads.
So your saying as long as their a pay check involved then promoting your religion is okay?

And this is sorta silly. Did this sunday school teacher teach cross religion studies? Comparative religion? Or was it like 'Believe what you will! Today is the bible, and tomorrow is the bible This is what the bible says from the bible we can draw this. But believe what you want.'

My specific branch of Christianity does not believe in Limbo.
Neat. I like limbo. Not like, I like the concept.

I haven't been ignoring what you've said.  However, you have ignored other points other people have brought up just to attack me.
But you consider it rude to challenge religion. And attacking to do so. That at fault with your definition. Your welcome to challenge my life Philo. As is Sorid. Sorid, your welcome to challenge my philo. of human secularism. I don't want to have false beliefs.

Should people stand by and let other hold false belief? If you know of someone who holds the belief that their car doesn't need gasoline, but instead donation of cookies and offers them through the gas intake?

How do you test belief without challenge?
There is a difference between free expression and acting like everyone should belong to the same religion.  1st amendment, you have the right to believe what religion you want.  People who try to get you to do otherwise should go to jail.  Simple.

If you haven't noticed, you have been posting aggressive anti-religious statements in other threads.  Like dicks.
o.0

Really? I constricted my religious views in religious threads. And in one that ask for it. And I haven't been anti religious at all.

Yes I did answer your question about false beliefs.  The answer being, it doesn't matter since we don't know which belief isn't false.  For all you know, a cult to some demonic, child-eating figure could be right.  I would rather hold a false belief in that case.
That asinine. Since we don't know that raping children is okay as a belief, then we should respect it? Belief can be wrong. We can ascertain this from evidence.

Your seeing someone who question your belief as attackers, and no one is going for your belief, just in this thread god and the evidence given for him/it. If you provided your belief for god, then it got examined and evaluated. But you stated century old argument and poor analogies.

Are false belief bad?

How do you tell false belief without challenge?

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 30, 2009, 07:59:52 pm »

Should people stand by and let other hold false belief?

The fact that the school system is one of the most important and valued institutions in our civilization, I'd say the answer to that question is pretty clear.
And I do mean actual schools providing actual education. The fact that religious indoctrination is referred to as Sunday school with a straight face is one of those ironies of life that I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry about.
I find that generally speaking it's only people who cling to beliefs that are unfounded that are afraid of having them challenged. Those who value truth don't mind, because their beliefs are founded on solid evidence. And if they do get overturned after all, it's a good thing, because it means you've discovered your error and learned from it.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 08:01:58 pm by Sordid »

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 30, 2009, 08:01:46 pm »

Lego... some questions:  (If you haven't left... and I know you haven't since you are reading this... I wonder how I would know that?)

How is it that you feel "God" is real?  What makes it real to you?

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 30, 2009, 08:05:09 pm »

That does it.

The lot of you are as slimy of hypocritical assholes as you see the people you persecute as. Seriously. You look like complete and total douche bags to the point that it insults feminine hygiene products. I have been watching this for some time now. You people are making REAL atheists cringe.

You want people to think? What? You want them to stop following someone else line of thought, and instead yours? What the fuck difference does that make if you want them to think? You want the same damned thing their people want.

You put all the weight on theists that they have no proof? You believe you have proof because they have no proof? I'd mimic your voice if your posting had one: "LOLFAIL. phhaiiil phallacy".

You want to stop people from having false beliefs, crusader of truth? Your belief is as false as theirs. There is no fucking truthful belief to be had. What is on the fourth fucking continent of the seventh planet from the star nearest us a few galaxies over? Is it nothing? Something? There's nothing to be had to say. Just you saying something about it is false.

All of you:

Go die and come back. THEN you have something to say.

What makes it real to you?
Religion is a personal understanding and balance. He makes it real. Leave it as such and quite violating things.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 370