Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 363 364 [365] 366 367 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 391513 times)

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #5460 on: November 02, 2010, 09:16:59 pm »

I'm reading essays about rape.

I am very chill.

Seriously though, people are jerks.

I mean damn.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 09:18:30 pm by Realmfighter »
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5461 on: November 02, 2010, 09:20:49 pm »

I'm sure you all know about this site.

http://www.fstdt.com/ArchiveListing.aspx?Archive=1

I'm just gonna leave this here.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5462 on: November 02, 2010, 09:27:27 pm »

Why does this thread even exist anymore?
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5463 on: November 02, 2010, 09:34:20 pm »

because the owner of this thread is MIA and no one figured out its a troll cave now.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5464 on: November 02, 2010, 09:37:00 pm »

The alternative is a new atheism thread every week or two.

Well, I suppose Toady could go all heavyhanded and ban entire subjects from the forum, but so far he's been cool enough to let people talk about damn near anything.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5465 on: November 02, 2010, 09:38:50 pm »

Because most adults can handle conversation.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #5466 on: November 02, 2010, 09:41:31 pm »

The OP's final post on this forum was him asking this thread to be closed. A year and a half ago. It's funny.

Because most adults can handle conversation.

Contrarily to popular belief, most of the people in this forum aren't adults.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5467 on: November 02, 2010, 09:47:21 pm »

As the cloudy thread demonstrated, Toady seems willing to leave threads open as long as they provide discussion/hilarity, so I imagine this thread is pretty safe, having both.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5468 on: November 02, 2010, 09:48:18 pm »

Contrarily to popular belief, most of the people in this forum aren't adults.
I can find an age thread... and the few pages I read denote the opposite.  I wish the following page had an average age stat or something:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?action=stats

Otherwise, where do you get the info that most of the people here are not adults?
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #5469 on: November 02, 2010, 09:52:21 pm »

This thread exists so that, in 5 pages, I'll be able to claim I was present for half of it.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5470 on: November 02, 2010, 09:53:17 pm »

I am now reading essays on the ethical implication of masturbation.

I am no longer depressed.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5471 on: November 02, 2010, 09:54:59 pm »

This thread exists so that, in 5 pages, I'll be able to claim I was present for half of it.
I missed page one, I'l have to settle with page 2 forward. :(

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #5472 on: November 02, 2010, 10:08:15 pm »

I missed page one, I'l have to settle with page 2 forward. :(

Curses, I'll have to kill you, and anyone else who posted before me, and then drag the thread on for a further several hundred pages so that I will have the greatest number of pages over which I participated.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5473 on: November 02, 2010, 10:10:06 pm »

Is anyone here actually 'traditionally' religious, or have we all moved onto a tangled entropy-quantum-probability mess where the only constant is our inability to perceive the universe?

Does an animist/pagan type of thing count as traditional?  It's kind of in vogue to follow something that you don't strictly believe, but I'm hardcore about it.  We do perceive the universe, reality truly exists, and I look forwards to seeing what science comes up with.  Human intelligence is well-understood by science, but consciousness is not, and I bravely assert that consciousness is real.  Shit yeah I think that somewhat religious explanations are correct AND science will back them up eventually.  Magic is real, bitches.

(Which isn't to say that every crackpot out there holds the key to ultimate truth, but some pretty sweet stuff is there if you can find it.)
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5474 on: November 02, 2010, 10:11:04 pm »

Hi,
I see so many topics concerning atheism or proving that no god exists or reasons to be atheist or whatever...
I just don't get it. When I was young I was teached about Jesus and God and I believe in a God until today. I have had a experience that I'd describe as meeting God (it was not a near-death experience) but even without it I wouldn't be able to understand how you think you're alone in the universe. Everything is so perfect, there's a reason for everything and there are so many "coincidences", how's that? How did everything start?
I understand religion has been transformed in a non-sense thing these days, with people making religions to earn money or to have fun.
In my opinion religion should be the way to find the truth about all those questions. In this point of view, an atheist would be religious too.
So, how do you atheists, explain all these above?

I want to bring a constructive discussion, please don't discriminate atheists or religious people, just say your reasons and why. Thanks ;]

It's a testament to our qualities that we've come so far from such ignoble beginnings.

^Tell me about it. I'm eager to hear something substantial after all this 'what is reality' circle-joying.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 10:19:38 pm by Shade-o »
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"
Pages: 1 ... 363 364 [365] 366 367 ... 370