Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 349 350 [351] 352 353 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 391305 times)

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #5250 on: October 21, 2010, 12:25:24 am »

Speaking of vitamins, there is a vitamin salesman that argues that AIDS is not in fact caused by viruses, but an imbalanced diet. Sadly, people in South Africa believe him. More to the point though, you need vitamins to live, since they work as the building blocks for organic matter, and various chemical properties are needed to sustain biological life. The thing is though, that all these needed vitamins are present in nature, and unless you live as a vegetarian or a vegan, it's unlikely that you'll ever need to ingest vitamin pills. They won't make you into super people or anything, and it is possible to get yourself poisoned by getting too many vitamins.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5251 on: October 21, 2010, 12:35:54 am »

Pssh, everyone knows that AIDS is caused by condoms.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #5252 on: October 21, 2010, 12:37:35 am »

And cured by african potatoes.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #5253 on: October 21, 2010, 09:36:45 am »

Speaking of vitamins, there is a vitamin salesman that argues that AIDS is not in fact caused by viruses, but an imbalanced diet. Sadly, people in South Africa believe him. More to the point though, you need vitamins to live, since they work as the building blocks for organic matter, and various chemical properties are needed to sustain biological life. The thing is though, that all these needed vitamins are present in nature, and unless you live as a vegetarian or a vegan, it's unlikely that you'll ever need to ingest vitamin pills. They won't make you into super people or anything, and it is possible to get yourself poisoned by getting too many vitamins.

Pssh, that's just SCIENCE. It's not like it has any more inherent validity than the belief that a balanced diet consists entirely of buttery pasta and mountain dew.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5254 on: October 21, 2010, 09:44:13 am »

LIES! According to my Health Teacher(and this is sadly true) AIDS is caused by masturbation!
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #5255 on: October 21, 2010, 10:42:08 am »

LIES! According to my Health Teacher(and this is sadly true) AIDS is caused by masturbation!

Clearly the solution is to wear a condom while masturbating, thus causing them to cancel.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5256 on: October 21, 2010, 11:18:39 am »

OR, YOU KNOW, NOT BE IDIOTS

BUT HEY, WHATEVER WORKS

I'M JUST GONNA GO OVER HERE AND NOT-BE-AN-IDIOT WITH MY GIRLFRIEND

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5257 on: October 21, 2010, 11:22:32 am »

Speaking of vitamins, there is a vitamin salesman that argues that AIDS is not in fact caused by viruses, but an imbalanced diet. Sadly, people in South Africa believe him.
He tried to sue a science journalist I read quite a lot... and lost, spectacularly.  That was the best piece of news I've heard for ages.

Vitamins... do seem a bit worrying to me, to be honest.  It's one of these "Miracle cure!" things.  I mean, yes, you do need these vitamins to live, but you already have more than enough of them.  The living yoghurt products ("Boost your digestive system's good bacteria") are basically the equivalent of throwing a teaspoon of water into a lake.
Clearly people must turn to prostitutes to avoid getting AIDS!

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5258 on: October 21, 2010, 12:47:41 pm »

It was proven somewhere that stomach bacteria are to blame for heartburn.
If yogurt and stomach bacteria kill each other, it's not so unreasonable.

(Though I can't tell, honest)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5259 on: October 21, 2010, 12:50:39 pm »

Nah, these are the "vital" gut bacteria.  And yeah, they are vital, but you've got plenty of them already.  You don't really need any more, and the amount in live yoghurt is negligible compared to what you've already got.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5260 on: October 21, 2010, 12:56:53 pm »

I thought so, too, but a lot of them actually survive the stomach acids, and get into the bowels. A lot of research is being done, and results vary: Some cultures do nothing, others can even be harmful to already weakened individuals, and some of them have actual benign effects.

So it's about 80% BS and 20% real, and I had to re-adjust my opinion of them.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5261 on: October 21, 2010, 01:03:27 pm »

When I "eat" yogurt, I like to skip the whole stomach process.  Ok, that was bad: :'(
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5262 on: October 21, 2010, 01:17:54 pm »

I thought so, too, but a lot of them actually survive the stomach acids, and get into the bowels. A lot of research is being done, and results vary: Some cultures do nothing, others can even be harmful to already weakened individuals, and some of them have actual benign effects.
I'm curious to see these studies, considering most of the stuff I've seen calls it unmitigated bullshit (unless it's one of those pieces of "research" done by the company, I guess).

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #5263 on: October 21, 2010, 01:32:57 pm »

No, vitamins are a pretty important thing. Your gut bacteria produce tons of shit you need to live, but vitamins are the things they don't produce any of or don't produce enough of. So you actually do need to ensure your diet's got decent vitamin content (seriously, as far as I can tell, vitamins and Omega-3 oils are about the only health-food trends that aren't COMPLETE bullshit, but are merely overhyped). Generally, though, as long as you're eating actual food (as opposed to fast food or Ramen or anything else that's basically just a source of calories), you're probably doing just fine unless your diet has no variation whatsoever, in which case you need to make sure it's got everything.

Still, it helps to pay attention to make sure you're getting around the right amount in a day (and making sure you're not getting too much of the fat-soluble ones, because chronic vitamin A excess is not fun times).

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5264 on: October 21, 2010, 02:03:36 pm »

No, vitamins are a pretty important thing. Your gut bacteria produce tons of shit you need to live, but vitamins are the things they don't produce any of or don't produce enough of.
Gut bacteria aren't really related that much to vitamins, except that people try to sell you crap through them too.

So you actually do need to ensure your diet's got decent vitamin content (seriously, as far as I can tell, vitamins and Omega-3 oils are about the only health-food trends that aren't COMPLETE bullshit, but are merely overhyped). Generally, though, as long as you're eating actual food (as opposed to fast food or Ramen or anything else that's basically just a source of calories), you're probably doing just fine unless your diet has no variation whatsoever, in which case you need to make sure it's got everything.
[/quote]
Which is pretty much what most dieticians will tell you - "Everything in moderation, make sure it's varied, eat your fruit and vegetables".  On the other hand, if you want to hawk a product, you need to tell people they will DIE PAINFULLY if they don't eat your vitamin B-12 supplements.

It's not so much that you don't need vitamins - they are indeed essential.  It's just that you're not all that likely to be short of most of them.
Pages: 1 ... 349 350 [351] 352 353 ... 370