Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 348 349 [350] 351 352 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 391314 times)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #5235 on: October 19, 2010, 07:18:20 am »

ISTR a short story (or, if longer, it my memories only reference short segments of it) where a team of global surveyors have just completed their "life's work" by totally mapping the entire world... and then the universe rebels by making the world larger.  Heralded by planes falling out of the sky (it's no longer 2000 miles from A to B, it's 4000, and they don't have enough fuel to get that far, etc) and a lot of people going missing (suddenly finding themselves in previously unknown areas).

The mapping team are happy, though, because they'd more or less made themselves redundant, and now there's a whole lot more "there" to map out and fit into their heretofore complete atlas.

(Pretty low on the Moh Scale Of SF Hardness, it must be admitted.)

Another story I recall had intelligent bacteria (experiments in extreme selective pressures on getting through a bacteria-scale maze, etc, producing colonies exhibiting something significantly brighter intelligence than some people could handle, so the experimenting professor injects them into himself rather than destroy them, resulting in a "grey goo" scenario as they absorb and take over half the planet) used an (apparent, and obviously scientifically arguable) ability to observe the exact nature absolutely everything occurring within their 'hemibiospheric' biomass to invoke some sort of clause in Heisenburg's Uncertainty Principle and shove them completely out of this reality and onto... who knows where... More or less leaving the surviving/unassimilated population of the planet (who had been completely failing to tackle this particular biomenace) in peace.  Not quite the same thing, unless you assume that the bacteria created more "where" for uncertain particles to be lost in, but it also comes to mind.

(Sorry, can't remember the authors/titles.  Probably both short stories in compilations, anyway.)

Just read a short story in an anthology called 'Mammoth book of extreme SF' that did a similar thing: a world (with normal curvature) where there is an anomaly along the pacific that stretches back in time (approached from the asian side, eastwards.)...
it does not explore the concept further as to what happens when travelling the pacific from the californey side though. ...or how this works at the poles...seems lethal to me. :0
Ah, it was from S.Baxter, the Pacific Mystery. I liked his 'Raft' story, which is a survival story situated in a shrinking micro universe, it is suggested that this was created by a hyperdrive malfunction.... i think it was his. :p

I don't accept mind over matter concepts, like the one you described. They can be fine story elements though, as long as you keep in mind it is magic in techno-drag.
In this case it does sound like a lame story 'cop-out' similar to the flu killing the invaders from Mars.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5236 on: October 20, 2010, 09:31:39 am »

Hmm... so 350-400 pages or so is how far a B12 flame thread burns :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5237 on: October 20, 2010, 09:38:42 am »

Hmm... so 350-400 pages or so is how far a B12 flame thread burns :P
People have threads on vitamins?
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5238 on: October 20, 2010, 09:41:53 am »

There is no proof that vitamins exist!

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #5239 on: October 20, 2010, 09:55:23 am »

Nor is there any proof that they don't not unexist! Therefore vitamins exist.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5240 on: October 20, 2010, 09:58:39 am »

Siquo, that god among men and sex machine to all the chicks, would say you are both right.  Since all beliefs are equally true, vitamins clearly exist in a strange quantum state wherein they both exist and don't exist simultaneously.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5241 on: October 20, 2010, 11:33:28 am »

Now people, Vitamin is a relative term. They may be beneficial to use, but to proto-plankton? They could be just as deadly as sulfuric acid. We must view the whole picture when we argue the existence of such things as vitamins.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5242 on: October 20, 2010, 03:24:09 pm »

Siquo, that god among men and sex machine to all the chicks, would say you are both right.  Since all beliefs are equally true, vitamins clearly exist in a strange quantum state wherein they both exist and don't exist simultaneously.
Sorry to disappoint you, I'm a one-woman man nowadays.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5243 on: October 20, 2010, 03:57:17 pm »

Hey, tell Schrödinger to give back our damn vitamins.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5244 on: October 20, 2010, 08:43:03 pm »

Vitamins are like unicorns. It's a myth that you need to believe in vitamins to be healthy. A more primitive society can rely on some pharmaceutical concoction to be healthy, but these days, all you need is organic food.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5245 on: October 20, 2010, 08:58:01 pm »

Unicorn == Rhinoceros.

Your mind has been blown.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5246 on: October 20, 2010, 09:11:54 pm »

Cunningly disguised as a Bicorn.

Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5247 on: October 20, 2010, 09:16:47 pm »

Nah, turns out rhino are just ugly people, not Magic horses.
Spoiler: Proof. (click to show/hide)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5248 on: October 20, 2010, 11:11:20 pm »

Vitamins are like unicorns. It's a myth that you need to believe in vitamins to be healthy. A more primitive society can rely on some pharmaceutical concoction to be healthy, but these days, all you need is organic food.

Except if you stop ingesting vitamins you will suffer sever pain and hemorrhaging :)

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5249 on: October 21, 2010, 12:13:01 am »

I believe the implication is that artificial vitamin supplements are unnecessary, unless you're saying that regular food doesn't contain any naturally. Then I guess you live on a diet of tablets and IV fluids.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"
Pages: 1 ... 348 349 [350] 351 352 ... 370