Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 345 346 [347] 348 349 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 391320 times)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #5190 on: October 14, 2010, 10:54:56 am »

Hanlons is like Occams, but differently worded. Stupidity is the simple answer, where malice is the complicated one. I wasn't aware the statement had a name (and has a history, and Heinlein is making claims to it as well).

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5191 on: October 14, 2010, 11:28:27 am »

You mean, like, God planned this universe (from its beginnings, starting with the big bang; that is if that theory's still vogue) out beforehand and then sorta interfered only occasionally after that?

I do, I think. That he doesn't interfere because we have free will to do what we please and to coddle us would take that away. That evolution is valid and real and science is correct and you should listen to it, but God was there at the very start before everything came into being.
Something I'd like someone who believes in theistic evolution to answer: Why did God create a worm that can only live by burrowing through eyes: the "Loa Loa" or "African Eyeworm"? (incidentally, don't google those unless you want to see lots of disgusting pictures)

"Occam's Razor" is often misused.  It's not so much "The simplest is always right" - more that "The one which makes fewer assumptions is usually right".  Since it isn't in any way proof, it really boils down to "If two theories are equally valid and produce the same results, go with the simpler one unless evidence against it emerges".

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5192 on: October 14, 2010, 12:12:54 pm »

Something I'd like someone who believes in theistic evolution to answer: Why did God create a worm that can only live by burrowing through eyes: the "Loa Loa" or "African Eyeworm"? (incidentally, don't google those unless you want to see lots of disgusting pictures)

To give people a reason to wear wrap around sunglasses and protect their weak, juicy and tasty eyes.

"Occam's Razor" is often misused.  It's not so much "The simplest is always right" - more that "The one which makes fewer assumptions is usually right".  Since it isn't in any way proof, it really boils down to "If two theories are equally valid and produce the same results, go with the simpler one unless evidence against it emerges".

I don't think anyone here was suggesting it was used that way (the wrong one that is), although I'd admit I've head enough people swear by it like that.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5193 on: October 14, 2010, 12:54:41 pm »

It seems to be used more as a sortof strawman than as a serious argument.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5194 on: October 14, 2010, 01:00:17 pm »

The loa loa doesn't really burrow through eyes, but through the flesh around them, and the face in general. /nitpick
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5195 on: October 14, 2010, 01:27:27 pm »

I can totally understand why God would make something to do that.

Similar problem with lots of parasites: try headlice and mosquitoes (which kill millions every year) or horrible pathogens like Bubonic Plague or Ebola.  This goes back to "If God is actually doing this, he's a bastard".

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5196 on: October 14, 2010, 01:33:54 pm »

Ah, but these things that kill us stop us from overpoppulateing the planet more than we already are, so IF god did this, maybe it was to stop us from starveing ourselves from getting huge numbers.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5197 on: October 14, 2010, 01:57:37 pm »

I'd much prefer starvation than some of the more horrible diseases God has seen fit to inflict upon the human population.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5198 on: October 14, 2010, 04:23:09 pm »

To be fair if humans where something you created and so just a toy to play around with what would you do to them...

What am I saying I've seen the threads on this forum, we all know what we'd be doing and the stuff god has done has nothing on that.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5199 on: October 14, 2010, 04:47:00 pm »

To be fair if humans where something you created and so just a toy to play around with what would you do to them...

What am I saying I've seen the threads on this forum, we all know what we'd be doing and the stuff god has done has nothing on that.
Yeah, you might.  And if you would, that would make you a bastard too.

Torturing creatures who you know have the capacity for suffering?

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5200 on: October 14, 2010, 04:48:56 pm »

If he wants to keep the population down, then just smite cities or flood the world again. None of this passive-aggressive "Planet trying to kill you" crap.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5201 on: October 14, 2010, 04:51:30 pm »

Or just not fuck it up in the first place.

If he wants us to have free will, he should leave us to deal with the overpopulation problem ourselves.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5202 on: October 14, 2010, 04:54:39 pm »

Maybe he just has a remarkable fondness for parasitic worms?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #5203 on: October 14, 2010, 05:08:53 pm »

There is a simple solution to all of this. Neutral god(s). Take the classic example of a forest fire. Is that evil? It depends on your perspective. Sickness in general just makes us stronger; natural selection and all that, right? Having pure good god(s) just does not "work" well at all. Is anybody else reminded of Epicurus's (in?)famous quote? (The one with If God is able/willing)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5204 on: October 14, 2010, 05:19:30 pm »

Is there even a religion based off that?
Pages: 1 ... 345 346 [347] 348 349 ... 370