Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 339 340 [341] 342 343 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 391585 times)

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #5100 on: October 11, 2010, 02:33:35 pm »

Well of course you can't judge the character of the person behind the keyboard. But you can judge the character they portray! I like Jackrabbit, he's a nice guy. But I have no feelings about the guy behind Jackrabbit, who took that name for his alias. I don't know him! He could be a puppy-eating bastard who sacrifices goat babies (adorable ;=;) to Satan and is going to kill 10 people tomorrow! Or he could be a saint. I don't know him at all, aside from what he's chosen to put on this website.

And because of that, I try and separate the people on the Internet from the people in real life. There's Jackrabbit, and the person who types what Jackrabbit says. Puppet and Puppetmaster. All I know is the puppet.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5101 on: October 11, 2010, 02:37:26 pm »

That's probably a good plan. Also, you make me sound like some sort of evil mastermind.

I like that.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5102 on: October 11, 2010, 03:43:25 pm »

*sigh* Allright, sorry, I got my definitions from the dictionary. If we're going to use your personal definitions of "god", that's fine, but please specify them so there's no gap in the communication.
Eh, fair enough.  I guess it's possible, and interesting as a hypothetical, but I see no reason to believe in it.

So, what do you do as an atheist, when people start praying for you?
If they're praying for me to get better?  Fine.  If they're praying for me to join their religion?  Well, I wouldn't stop them, but I would find it annoying.  And definitely not convert.

Also, it is interesting - the characters we portray on here... aren't entirely real.  I think of "Leafsnail" as a semi-existant entity/ personality.  Or would that be "My user thinks of me as..."

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5103 on: October 11, 2010, 04:12:32 pm »

If there's anything my user has learned from geek television, it's that I am a program and the users are all powerful.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5104 on: October 11, 2010, 05:02:32 pm »

My user molests me and makes me look for dirty pictures  :'(
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5105 on: October 11, 2010, 06:24:26 pm »

Well, keep in mind that:
3. When in another’s home, show them respect or else do not go there.
So, rule 4 seems a bit more reasonable under that.

It's not reasonable, because you can't both NOT GO to another's home, and GO to another's home.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5106 on: October 11, 2010, 06:28:39 pm »

I don't see what you mean. Under that code of behavior you are compelled to show either respect when in another's home or to just not go there. Like "if you can't think of anything nice to say, then don't say anthing at all." Rule 4 then says to treat those who have come into your home poorly if they don't show respect (the standard of behavior those in another's home should adhere to under Rule 3) and annoy you. It seems solid to me.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5107 on: October 11, 2010, 06:48:03 pm »

I don't see what you mean. Under that code of behavior you are compelled to show either respect when in another's home or to just not go there. Like "if you can't think of anything nice to say, then don't say anthing at all." Rule 4 then says to treat those who have come into your home poorly if they don't show respect (the standard of behavior those in another's home should adhere to under Rule 3) and annoy you. It seems solid to me.

You're already at another's home. You can't choose to not go to said home, if you want to misbehave. For it to make sense, first you have to make the decision on whether to go or not to go, based preemptively on whether you intend to misbehave or not. ;)

So, what do you do as an atheist, when people start praying for you?
Tell them to stop. I suppose that it's possible that their praying could be out of a desire to genuinely help me and not to take a self-rightous holier than thou attitude at the situation, I have yet to have ever encountered this for myself. Granted, I haven't really actually encountered this type of situation myself, but the general attitude of the faithful praying for atheists always seems to be this.

The coolest part of the article is the last paragraph: there doesn't seem to be a correlation on whether praying makes someone get better, however, there was a correlation on whether NOT getting better made people feel worse IF they had prayed (because it means God thinks they suck).

So, yeah, praying for divine healing actually has a negative placebo effect. Fun.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 06:51:01 pm by Sergius »

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5108 on: October 11, 2010, 06:52:50 pm »

Satanism laughs at your puny 'language' and 'healing'!

HAHAHAHAHAHA
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 06:56:01 pm by Shade-o »
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5109 on: October 12, 2010, 01:01:39 am »

You're already at another's home. You can't choose to not go to said home, if you want to misbehave. For it to make sense, first you have to make the decision on whether to go or not to go, based preemptively on whether you intend to misbehave or not. ;)

That's the whole point. If the only reason you have for going to someone's home is to misbehave, don't go. If you do not think you could be polite in the other person's home, don't go. If you're already there and you misbehave then you're not following the rules central to your belief and will probably receive an asswhuppin' from both your Satanic peers and the home owner themselves.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5110 on: October 12, 2010, 02:03:02 am »

That's the whole point. If the only reason you have for going to someone's home is to misbehave, don't go. If you do not think you could be polite in the other person's home, don't go. If you're already there and you misbehave then you're not following the rules central to your belief and will probably receive an asswhuppin' from both your Satanic peers and the home owner themselves.

The "commandment" reads: "When in another’s home". Once you're in another's home, not going to said home is no longer an option. If I'm not in said home, I don't have to follow what the commandment says, because it's clear it only applies "when" you're in another's home.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5111 on: October 12, 2010, 02:04:45 am »

Oh, it's semantics. Surely there are more important things to argue about? Or, if not important, marginally more interesting?

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5112 on: October 12, 2010, 02:29:55 am »

Oh, it's semantics. Surely there are more important things to argue about? Or, if not important, marginally more interesting?
Oh!  You could have argued the same point about:
"If you have nothing good to say, don't say it."

Well, you already had something bad to say!  In the ears of the all powerful gods, they know what you were about to say.  Therefore, you said it.  So it should be worded, "don't think it" or maybe "be trained as a kid to never think wrong thoughts."
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5113 on: October 12, 2010, 02:34:04 am »

I'm not really sure what you're trying to say but the slightly cumbersome wording of a Satanist rule isn't exactly prime debating material. It's like, oh, yeah, it's kinda confusing.

Okay. We done?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 02:49:37 am by Jackrabbit »

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5114 on: October 12, 2010, 02:47:53 am »

My user molests me and makes me look for dirty pictures  :'(

That is what you get for selling yourself into slavery.

Whatever you're bringing to this thread, especially if it's the generic 'Can't prove he does!' or 'Can't prove he doesn't!', it's been said before and I'm not absolutely sure what the actual topic is now. Catch up.

Kinda true of all threads really. Someone should develop a forum that can collect all the points talked about so far and provide a summary for first time repliers.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd
Pages: 1 ... 339 340 [341] 342 343 ... 370