Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 332 333 [334] 335 336 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 391723 times)

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #4995 on: October 11, 2010, 01:16:16 am »

Can you give some context for that? I tried to figure out what you were talking about, but I can't figure it out ;=;

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4996 on: October 11, 2010, 01:16:55 am »

I think that the "Good Guys" went the the Elysian Fields, which was kind of like being alive again.
Those who angered the Gods would go to Tartarus, in which they would be given a punishment.
Everyone else would be in the "default" underworld, and would be something like a ghost.

I may be getting things mixed up, though.
Yes, but I distinctly recall having read sources that painted even the Elysian fields as wretched compared to the meanest existence in life. Can't recall exactly where though, I read so many books and adaptations of myths when I was younger that I couldn't name any of the things I read, nor do I have any clue how much was just pulled out of the authors' asses. :-\
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4997 on: October 11, 2010, 01:19:55 am »

Can you give some context for that? I tried to figure out what you were talking about, but I can't figure it out ;=;

Honestly? Thinking about it, it's just a very simplified and slightly childish idea of organized religion and the Constantinian shift and I've probably got it all wrong, it doesn't matter. My main point is that I'm not really comfortable being part of a larger group in terms of religion and I prefer to be private about my faith. I guess I'm not one for churches?

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4998 on: October 11, 2010, 01:21:29 am »

I think that that's a big part of Protestantism.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #4999 on: October 11, 2010, 01:22:29 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHh9ywmo5AE 1:30.

Female Palpatine.

I swear to.. uh.. Satan.
I find this both funny, and incredibly pathetic at the same time. Hilarithetic? Hilatic? Haretic? Wait a second...

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5000 on: October 11, 2010, 01:24:26 am »

I think that that's a big part of Protestantism.

I think I converted from Protestantism to Catholicism but I've sorta gotten confused and just really consider myself Christian.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5001 on: October 11, 2010, 01:25:52 am »

From what I recall, one of the principles of Protestantism is that you shouldn't have to pray in a gold-plated cathedral in front of a diamond-studded priest for God to hear you.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5002 on: October 11, 2010, 01:35:53 am »

Well yeah. I certainly believe that. Which is funny because the pomp and splendor that surrounds the Catholic church is, I think, pretty cool. I mean, the art, the Vatican, St. Peter's Basilica, it's just a testament to the genius of man, regardless of whether or not God exists. Humanity rocks.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5003 on: October 11, 2010, 02:15:42 am »

Can we get back to the rage and vitriol? This mild conversation is getting us nowhere.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #5004 on: October 11, 2010, 02:18:31 am »

Rage and vitriol is a bad thing, shade. That kind of thing could get this topic locked, and then the religion discussion would leak all over the rest of the board. And don't worry, I think my post will incite enough of it, even if I don't intend for that to happen (and I really don't).

I agree with solitary religion, but groups can help. Religion (especially the really big ones) is too much about following orders. To me, religion is much more about a journey of self-discovery, and discovering the greater "truth" behind existence and the universe. Following along with the same thing that everybody is doesn't help you if you don't at least question it a bit. If you question it, and find that you do believe in it, then fine. But even if you don't agree with one tiny thing, then it's not entirely the same religion. You can still go to a group, but it's probably a bad idea to try to convince yourself that the group you're going to has the right answer. Far too many people just follow along with Christianity (or Islam, or Judaism, or Hinduism, or whatever), without ever questioning it, because it's what their parents and culture taught them to believe.

I'm not criticizing Christians, Christianity, or organized religion as a whole, but it's annoying when people don't at least stop to think. I questioned my parent's beliefs, and found that I didn't believe in them at all, so I moved on. Many people have done this. While I can't always agree what they found for themselves, I can at least not yell at them for not having my own beliefs. Tell somebody to look into my religion a bit? Sure, but I'm not going to try to convince them to change their beliefs because I told them to. I want people to find their own beliefs.

Wow, that's a nice tangent for me to launch myself on.

Cathedrals and such are pretty nice to look at though, even if you don't agree with the beliefs of the people that built it, and the purpose it was built for. Religious tolerance is a nice thing to have, isn't it? Of course, it's less about religious tolerance here, and more about appreciation of the building itself, but it's nice to separate those things enough that you can appreciate the building. Sometimes not seeing the forest for the trees is a good thing, if that makes any sense.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5005 on: October 11, 2010, 02:25:21 am »

Of course I don't want any threads to be locked or posters banned, that would be downright villainous. Hyperbole aside, I think that somewhere between frothing rage and docile agreement we can find a measure of passion and investment that results in us examining each other and ourselves, ultimately leading to a happier understanding of the world and how we fit in it.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5006 on: October 11, 2010, 02:29:18 am »

Religious tolerance is a nice thing to have, isn't it?

Depends how much you tolerate. If people want to believe what they want that is fine, provided they don't start hurting others. I don't see why anyone should tolerate those that abuse and indoctrinate.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5007 on: October 11, 2010, 02:33:35 am »

I have waited so long for us to post consecutively. Let the mild confusion begin!

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5008 on: October 11, 2010, 02:36:31 am »

It's probably about time I agree. :)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5009 on: October 11, 2010, 02:37:23 am »

We should match up our signatures and avatars, too.
Pages: 1 ... 332 333 [334] 335 336 ... 370