Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 326 327 [328] 329 330 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 391668 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #4905 on: October 07, 2010, 03:56:25 pm »

I was more thinking: tower moves up, tower stops, soldiers bumrush the entrance, get stuck.

Aaaaaand, that's Legio VI Victrix done for the day. Well done guys, good hustle.

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #4906 on: October 07, 2010, 03:58:48 pm »

My guys liked to trickle out of the towers 1 by 1.  Lemmie tell ya, those drapanai never really made it OFF those walls.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4907 on: October 07, 2010, 04:01:27 pm »

Are there any RTS games designed specifically around defending (possibly a custom one) or attacking a fort?  I mean, whenever I've walked around castles, I've always thought it'd be pretty fun.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #4908 on: October 07, 2010, 04:58:19 pm »

Are there any RTS games designed specifically around defending (possibly a custom one) or attacking a fort?  I mean, whenever I've walked around castles, I've always thought it'd be pretty fun.
The Stronghold series. Although if you mean are there GOOD rts games based on defending custom forts which can actually look cool, then not that I know of.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4909 on: October 07, 2010, 05:00:28 pm »

Stronghold is awesome, you crazy bastard.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4910 on: October 07, 2010, 05:13:25 pm »

I'm aware that making such a game would be really, really difficult.  I mean, you'd have to design it very carefully to make the best strategy "Build something that looks like a fort and place defences tactically" rather than "Find a good defensive system and chains dozens of them in a corridor".

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4911 on: October 07, 2010, 05:57:49 pm »

I want DF to be that kind of game. If only goblins had wall smashing catapults :(
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4912 on: October 07, 2010, 05:58:41 pm »

We must mod Stronghold with Dwarfs fighting Goblins.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4913 on: October 07, 2010, 06:50:35 pm »

The thing is that I did not like how in Stronghold your enemies could literally hack down your walls.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4914 on: October 07, 2010, 06:53:44 pm »

I'm pretty sure that only worked on wooden walls.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4915 on: October 07, 2010, 07:15:05 pm »

I've been playing Napoleon a bit recently. Went straight from Medieval II, never touched Empire, so I was a bit out of my depth for a bit.

Of course, I managed to solve almost all my problems by simply using more artillery. Though I am somewhat disappointed that despite taking a direct hit from an iron roundshot or basket of grape, there's never any ludicrous gibs.

I like a lot of the little things added, too. Simplifying the General/Spy/Assassin/Merchant/Princess/Diplomat/Priest dynamic was nice, as was letting Generals be simply recruited. The spawning of Armed Citizens makes a nice touch, so now you don't have to worry about a lone general running around capturing towns. Adding the towns, ports, farms, so on is a nice little bit of detail, so every region isn't just one huge city, but its own complete little economic and political entity.

One of my most fun battles was defending Vienna from a sizable infantry, cavalry and artillery attack, using nothing but a sizable force of Militia and a general. I carefully set out cavalry spikes, two rings of trenches, and anchored one end on the town with a garrisoned building. Ended up taking massive casualties, half the army routed, and barely any ammunition, but won.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4916 on: October 07, 2010, 07:16:13 pm »

I'm pretty sure that only worked on wooden walls.
At least in crusader they could hack down STONE walls

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #4917 on: October 07, 2010, 07:17:48 pm »

Yep, up until SH:2, all walls could be hacked to peices eventually even by spearmen. In SH2 though, that changed to just wooden.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4918 on: October 07, 2010, 08:17:18 pm »

Well, if you couldn't hack down walls, all you had to do to win would be to kill the heavy seige machines, then pick off the infintry.

Personally, I really like Stronghold, I don't know what alway is talking about.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4919 on: October 07, 2010, 08:21:59 pm »

Well, if you couldn't hack down walls, all you had to do to win would be to kill the heavy seige machines, then pick off the infintry.

which is kind of the point.
Pages: 1 ... 326 327 [328] 329 330 ... 370