Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 312 313 [314] 315 316 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 391965 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #4695 on: October 01, 2010, 11:28:11 am »

When one dies, in said world, the St Peter equivalent gatekeeper to heaven checks to see if you've been rational about the world.  Belief in a deity (indeed, even in a Deity Of Logic) is a black mark.

Congratulations! If a God of Logic exists, you're now on his naughty list! :D

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4696 on: October 01, 2010, 11:35:07 am »

Congratulations! If a God of Logic exists, you're now on his naughty list! :D

I'll have been for a while, if He's that petty about such things.

I'm more worried about whether I'm causing other people's immortal souls to be sullied by talking about this.

(Similar to an argument against missionaries.  With no missionaries, the ungodly heathens are unaware of God and therefore (by some counts) are given a free pass into heaven (purgatory, at the very least), just like newborns who die are.  With missionaries telling them about God, they're no longer covered by that clause, and so if they don't fully convert they're damned.  YMissionaryPositionMV.)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4697 on: October 01, 2010, 12:03:24 pm »

It could be that the fire-and-forget God, despite being able to work out what would happen if He thought about it (as every deity worth His or Her pillar-of-salt should be able to do), hasn't cared to do so.
Speaking of salt... there's also the possibility that said GOL knows what happens to the salt when it's tossed over one's shoulder and lands in water.  It just may not care.
[1] Perhaps as one in any number of slightly different universes in a multiverse.  Another one of my long-time analogies is that a hypothetical God's kitchen table has an infinite number of jam-jars on it, each having a different 'mix' of universe, some are spluttering and shaking and threatening to spill their contents, others are quietly changing colour, some are just sitting inert.  So, if there is a God, it's a question as to whether we're sputtering along or just sitting around like gunk, and which one of these are more likely to be taken off the table and chucked down the sink, rather than let sit there, or perhaps given the occasional stir... :)
... or this God may not know that the jar on the far left has something sentient in it when it goes to dump this boring fluid down the drain.

But like you say... "Another Occam-worthy act of disregarding, really."

I'm more worried about whether I'm causing other people's immortal souls to be sullied by talking about this.
My position is that any "caring" GOL would want his creations to think about it and not blindly follow orders... it would want people "stirring the pot"  (If it cared that is, and we are not merely salt particles being tossed in water.)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 12:06:21 pm by Andir »
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4698 on: October 01, 2010, 12:12:33 pm »

...I find your answers concerning the meaning of "anagoge" wanting...
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4699 on: October 01, 2010, 09:27:03 pm »

I'm new to this thread and what is this.
Seriously, 3xx pages? You must've tossed every straw man there is into this one.

So what's up in this topic? Where's the discussion stranded ATM?

And a snippet: Actual belief in any manner of deity supposed to interact with the physical world is either delusional or highly unreasonable.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4700 on: October 01, 2010, 09:29:42 pm »

This thread is either about Rome Total War, Cheese, or Ninjas. I forget.
!!&!!

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4701 on: October 01, 2010, 09:31:06 pm »

We must dedicate this thread to modding cheese based ninjas into Rome Total War.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4702 on: October 01, 2010, 09:32:06 pm »

ignore me

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4703 on: October 01, 2010, 09:44:18 pm »

We must dedicate this thread to modding cheese based ninjas into Rome Total War.

I always wanted to play RTW, but when it came out my old computer was too crappy to run it, and now I simply haven't got the time :(
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4704 on: October 01, 2010, 09:48:16 pm »

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4705 on: October 01, 2010, 09:52:24 pm »

I always wanted to play RTW, but when it came out my old computer was too crappy to run it, and now I simply haven't got the time :(
Ooooh...I've suffered exactly the same fate. Shame really...I'd love to play some EB, but I can't be arsed to bother with another full campaign  :o

This thread, though. There's no more religious-bashing to be done in it, is there?
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4706 on: October 01, 2010, 09:54:26 pm »

That all depends. Would everyone hate me if I made a Family Guy reference?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4707 on: October 01, 2010, 09:55:07 pm »

I hate you already, get on with it.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #4708 on: October 01, 2010, 09:56:52 pm »

I think I'm going to have to mod falxs and rhomphaiai into my next df game.  I can't get sucked into that game again, last time I blinked and 3 months went by.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4709 on: October 01, 2010, 09:57:28 pm »

Bible fight!

Okay, I'm done, now stop hating me, Realm.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 312 313 [314] 315 316 ... 370