Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 306 307 [308] 309 310 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 391722 times)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #4605 on: September 30, 2010, 04:46:10 pm »

If you have an hour... you could hear Dan Dennett talk about belief, he explains this better than me.
I listened for about 20 minutes, and... well. The smugness is annoying. He quotes Ayaan Hirsi Ali, someone of whom I'm glad left the country, and generalises theists, they're all the same and all wrong. How can you even argue with someone like that? The whole attitude of religious US versus the atheists has rendered them militant, which is a shame.

@metalslime: They include agnostics in the numbers in that vid.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4606 on: September 30, 2010, 04:48:03 pm »

As before, I don't doubt the numbers, I doubt the notable people listed.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4607 on: September 30, 2010, 04:49:17 pm »

so if you're done with your constant "think nothing! believe everything! y'all are stupid!" trolling...
Yep.  :D

I'll hold you to that.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4608 on: September 30, 2010, 04:49:31 pm »

Well I'm sure some googling could rid you of some of your doubts.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4609 on: September 30, 2010, 04:52:25 pm »

so if you're done with your constant "think nothing! believe everything! y'all are stupid!" trolling...
Yep.  :D

I'll hold you to that.

Well, that lasted all of -3 minutes.
If you have an hour... you could hear Dan Dennett talk about belief, he explains this better than me.
I listened for about 20 minutes, and... well. The smugness is annoying. He quotes Ayaan Hirsi Ali, someone of whom I'm glad left the country, and generalises theists, they're all the same and all wrong. How can you even argue with someone like that? The whole attitude of religious US versus the atheists has rendered them militant, which is a shame.

Maybe one day you'll look back and realize that everything you just said there exactly how you've been arguing as well. But I don't have much hope for that.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4610 on: September 30, 2010, 04:52:48 pm »

I mean the number of notable people it claims to be atheists. I know at least some of the ones listed are atheists, but others make me think they might have just pulled any notable person who could be seen as being an atheist and put it in the video.

Well, the "notables" were probably lifted from a database site. There are some objections, it's possible they didn't fact check every single one. A lot of the scientist types probably are, I don't know if they'll convince religious people with titles like "founder of the skeptics" tho. From the celebrities, at least Marlon Brando is debatable, some of his cites are contradictory. Jodie Foster has stated publicly that she is an atheist, but loves doing all the motions and rites of religious holidays (I guess she finds them fun).
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 04:56:47 pm by Sergius »

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4611 on: September 30, 2010, 04:57:44 pm »

Maybe one day you'll look back and realize that everything you just said there exactly how you've been arguing as well. But I don't have much hope for that.
Ah, but MY smugness is snug! Hugs for all around!

But i still don't get why just listing a number of atheists makes a point. I could list a number of notable people who do believe in (a) God, does that help anything?

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4612 on: September 30, 2010, 05:00:18 pm »

Leafsnail, Sergius, you're both repetitive and not bringing something new.
I felt almost unable to continue after this.  And slightly sick.  Your viewpoint as it stands seems more dangerous than most forms of fundamentalist religion (since you could take on the features of any of them... and then randomly switch).

Incidentally, saying Jackrabbit is "trolling" when he's taking one of the least objectionable positions imaginable... not gonna fly.

Hmm... isn't using "agnostic" and "atheist" as two mutually exclusive terms slightly misleading?  I mean, since atheism is not believing in a god... agnostics don't really "believe" either (although their lack of belief is implicit rather than explicit, which is what someone who is an "atheist" in the normal sense of the word is).

Siquo - it was created SPECIFICALLY to defend atheists against claims that they are immoral and stupid.

Actually, come to think of it, Britain's new opposition leader is almost certainly atheist.  Hmm.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4613 on: September 30, 2010, 05:03:34 pm »

Claiming someone is trolling is just an inviting escape from responding. It doesn't matter where I stand, because Siquo's position is the most objectionable in the thread. It's the only reason the thread's still continuing.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4614 on: September 30, 2010, 05:04:25 pm »

But i still don't get why just listing a number of atheists makes a point. I could list a number of notable people who do believe in (a) God, does that help anything?
Siquo - it was created SPECIFICALLY to defend atheists against claims that they are immoral and stupid.
Yeah, there's apparently this thing with certain Christians about being taught their whole lives that atheists are evil and worthless by nature, and that you need to "save" them. I've only encountered one or two in real life, but let me tell you, it gets old fast.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4615 on: September 30, 2010, 05:06:48 pm »

I don't like that, I don't like that at all. No matter how much you want to save someone, people need to make these sort of decisions on their own, because these decisions will in a very large way shape their lives and who they are. I don't care how much someone wants to save you, it's usually detrimental to their cause if they try. People don't like it, and fair enough too.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4616 on: September 30, 2010, 05:09:28 pm »

It's a standard way of making yourself feel better. What's more exciting, living an ordinary life of drudge and quiet piety, or heroically saving the souls of the damned from their own self-inflicted ignorance? It's escapism, I guess.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4617 on: September 30, 2010, 05:10:31 pm »

It's escapism that annoys other people and more often than not doesn't help your cause in the slightest.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4618 on: September 30, 2010, 05:11:48 pm »

Yes, but it doesn't matter what they think. You're on a roll, and they should be quiet and be saved.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4619 on: September 30, 2010, 05:17:45 pm »

Yes, but it doesn't matter what they think. You're on a roll, and they should be quiet and be saved.

I guess it's true: Jesus saves. Everyone else takes full damage.
Pages: 1 ... 306 307 [308] 309 310 ... 370