Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 287 288 [289] 290 291 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 391564 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #4320 on: September 27, 2010, 06:16:02 am »

I always wondered what the "die in battle" requirement exactly entails?
Do you get to go to Valhalla if e.g. your angry wife kills you with a frying pan for losing a job?
Or if two pre-school kids were fighting on the street and got run over by a car?
Or if you were a wimpy loser, beaten to death by some punks in a dark alley?

Ladies and gentelmen, the much advertised Valhalla might be not as manly as we imagine it to be.

If you're read "The Lost Continent" (Terry Pratchett), Ronald Saveloy seems to have a favourable view of the Discworldian version of Valhalla.  But then he's been a teacher all his life.  Compared with a classroom full of unruly boys, it seems most other things are heavenly... :)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4321 on: September 27, 2010, 08:00:35 am »

Just when you think the thread is dead, it shows up in your unread replies section again.... *sigh*

IRTA "...undead replies..."

Even though the same thing had happened to me.

(That is all.  Nothing to see here.  Move along.)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Apostrophe thread
« Reply #4322 on: September 27, 2010, 08:06:19 am »

Two issues though: A), is there enough room to get the leverage to swing the sword, given that the dinosaur flesh would be enclosing them, and B) is there enough oxygen present that they can make enough room via squirming and such?
Ninja's are so awesome that the insides of the dinosaur will MAKE room FOR the ninja.

http://www.angryflower.com/bobsqu.gif

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Katana thread
« Reply #4323 on: September 27, 2010, 08:09:09 am »

I thought their primary mode of attack was to slash with a katana, which is made of steel folded ten thousand times and beats european knight anytime.
Not sure if you are serious, but most are only folded ~20 times.

I think people are getting confused with folding metal 20 times meaning there's potentially 2^20 'layers of fold'.  Which is actually a tad over a million, but at least that's only two orders of magnitude out, rather than three... :)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Katana thread
« Reply #4324 on: September 27, 2010, 08:42:30 am »

I thought their primary mode of attack was to slash with a katana, which is made of steel folded ten thousand times and beats european knight anytime.
Not sure if you are serious, but most are only folded ~20 times.

I think people are getting confused with folding metal 20 times meaning there's potentially 2^20 'layers of fold'.  Which is actually a tad over a million, but at least that's only two orders of magnitude out, rather than three... :)

Actually, Il Palazzo was talking about 2^10.000 layers of fold, which is thousans of orders of magnitude over Andir.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #4325 on: September 27, 2010, 08:48:18 am »

I don't quite think so, which means that their primary mode of attack is taken away.
which is made of steel folded ten thousand times and beats european knight anytime.

This thread is bad news, but I had to post in here just to laugh.

BAHAHAHAHAHA

haha

BAHAHAHAHA
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4326 on: September 27, 2010, 08:50:07 am »

I'm pretty sure he's making a joke there, because that joke is incredibly common.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #4327 on: September 27, 2010, 08:50:55 am »

I dunno, it's hard to tell when the man is being facetious and when he's not.
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4328 on: September 27, 2010, 09:44:11 am »

And ain't it more fun that way.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Katana thread
« Reply #4329 on: September 27, 2010, 09:47:16 am »

Actually, Il Palazzo was talking about 2^10.000 layers of fold, which is thousans of orders of magnitude over Andir.

Yup, and what I was saying was that I think people say "folded 10,000 times" when they (or their ultimate source) actually meant folded into 10,000 layers (13 folding iterations would do roughly that, unless I've accidentally misplaced a power of two or so).

Although I wouldn't put it past them doing so, either.  I mean, folding metal over itself 10,000 times, based upon once every five seconds or so only takes nigh-on fourteen hours of solid work.  I may be far out on the timing[1], but it's a starting point.

(On balance, though, I still think people mix up folds with foldings.)

[1] Based upon my experiments with a large lump of partially flattened Blu-Tac (Other Similar Products Exist), as something that puts up A Bit Of A Fight, at least until it starts to get aerated.  My experience with hot-forging is mostly as a spectator, but I could imagine that an experienced smith might be able to do something with a metal ingot (with a shift of apprentices getting the forge up to the right temperature and keeping it there, to keep the metal glowing just the cherry colour of the the August moon, or whatever it is) with arms of oak from long practice being able to do something like that for extended periods of time.  That's the kind of guy I wouldn't want to have a fist-fight with, certainly.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4330 on: September 27, 2010, 09:47:46 am »

Srsly, you can cut a tank in half with a katana!

Katanas Are Just Better!

If on your journey, you should encounter God, God will be cut.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 09:51:34 am by Sergius »

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #4331 on: September 27, 2010, 09:49:27 am »

And ain't it more fun that way.

On the other hand, everything everyone says on the internet must be taken seriously.

Mission successful, by the way.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4332 on: September 27, 2010, 09:51:00 am »

As a challenge, I'll now try to re-rail this thread toward cheese. Cheese is good.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4333 on: September 27, 2010, 10:16:16 am »

As a challenge, I'll now try to re-rail this thread toward cheese. Cheese is good.
Any particular type?

I must admit a nice bit of West Country Brie is (with apologies to the original French brie-makers, whose product I also like) is nice.  Just before it starts to actively crawl off of the cracker.  Camembert, in a slightly earlier condition, is also up there.

Otherwise, Applewood Smoked Cheddar has ranked highly.

For blue cheese, I tend to go for something strong.  Danish Blue is one memorable one, but locally it's the tradtional Blue Stilton all the way.

Sage Derby is also something I enjoy seeing on a cheeseboard.

And there must be a cheeseboard...  Luncheons that present one with a few (albeit diversly various) crackers, a few pieces of soft or hard or blue cheese (choose one!) are definitely classed as stingy, in my opinion.  Leave the cheese in the middle, at best (then go to other parts of the table/other tables to 'adopt' any unclaimed cheese and crackers) or having a generous server you can ask for "a bit of everything... no, a bigger bit of everything" to is best.

At one point I was experimenting with Welsh Rabbit (a.k.a.Rarebit), and I found that crumbling Wensleydale and mixing it with an ale of some kind, adding pepper, and some other condiments (to taste) in a bowl, then pouring the result onto the inside of a partially toasted crust, then toasting further, was quite sublime.  But it's been a while since I did that.

I must get some ale in.  And Wensleydale.  And may need to top up my spice-rack.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4334 on: September 27, 2010, 10:18:32 am »

My all time favorite is a Peccorino Piquante, both strong and spicy that I bought at a local farmer's market.

Also, do you guys eat any sheep's milk? Or any other non-milk-or-goat milk? The hungarians got a really tasty cheese made of sheep's milk cold Yuturo or something.

Pages: 1 ... 287 288 [289] 290 291 ... 370