Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 391727 times)

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #4230 on: May 24, 2010, 11:59:43 am »

Is it possible the only real correlation between religious and political belief is that if your not a religious fundamentalist the platform "We want government to stay out of our lives and theocratic morality police" doesn't make a lot of sense.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4231 on: May 24, 2010, 12:41:43 pm »

edit:  I'm not getting into the political debate here... retracting my post.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 12:44:17 pm by Andir »
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4232 on: September 24, 2010, 08:49:19 pm »

Oh well, I guess this is a mistake.

I just want to explain, why I don't see religion or irrationality as necessary to stay "human".

First: An Idealist is one who believes, that the idea comes before matter - most religions are idealistic.
A Materialist is not one, who strives for material wealth (wealth is only "real" in an idealistic world) but onw, who believes, that any idea/mind/whatever is just an emergent process, based on less... fuzzy stuff.

Calling materialists cold is a fallacy, that only idealists can make: They mistake the materialist methodology (an idea) for "the" materialst goal. There is no materialistic goal. There are only goals, materialists might have.
When taking this serious, you are less likely to take your own wants for fundamental - I want to be free, you want to be safe, so let's look, how we can solve this. With idealist philosophy you will get the question: Okay, is freedom more important or safety? Why should I care? Importance is only an idea to help you through your life, why should I stick to it, when it's just in the way?

Trading a fast route for a less boring one isn't irrational. Wanting to see stuff and then trading the more interesting route for a shorter one because efficency is important is irrational. Somehow this always gets mixed up, because people think, the standard goals are programmed into the world.
Taste my Paci-Fist

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4233 on: September 24, 2010, 08:50:59 pm »

Let it die bro. It is like, this thread was dead and we were holding the funeral, right? But then you put on your robes and wizard hat, y'dig? Just all like, necromancy, and boom.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4234 on: September 24, 2010, 09:45:11 pm »

You can never kill god.

Therefore it follows that you can never kill a discussion about god.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4235 on: September 24, 2010, 09:48:41 pm »

*throws lighter fluid on thread*

GOD IS A LIE!!!!

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #4236 on: September 24, 2010, 10:08:27 pm »

You can never kill god.

Sure you can. Gods die all the time in a variety of mythologies. Whether it be the death of a god, thus creating the earth, or a death in battle during a reshaping or utter destruction of the world. If anything, there are more mythologies in which gods can die than mythologies in which they are magical essences far removed from the cares of mortals. Then of course there are the mythologies in which severred parts of gods live on. And even if they can't be killed, they can be bound deep in an abyss or other magical prison; often helpfully placed nearby to where someone in the future is likely to stumble across it. Even in Christian mythology the latter is the case, where (in a simplified form) evil god is put into a magical abyssal prison.

So even if this thread does turn out, like some gods, to be unkillable, it can at least be bound in an abyss for several millenia.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 10:16:23 pm by alway »

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4237 on: September 24, 2010, 10:14:27 pm »

You can never kill god.

(Troll) True, you cannot kill the nonexsistant. (/Troll)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4238 on: September 24, 2010, 10:16:09 pm »

Here is a good one. If God exists, and made the world and humans, why are we finding evidence that the earth is billions of years old and didn't have humans but other, lower-life forms existing for all that time?

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4239 on: September 24, 2010, 10:18:38 pm »

Alright, here's something that people who believe in a god and sin should answer :D

Is there free will in heaven?

Is there sin in heaven?

Is there fighting in heaven?

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #4240 on: September 24, 2010, 10:30:51 pm »

Alright, here's something that people who believe in a god and sin should answer :D

Is there fighting in heaven?
I don't believe in either of those things, but I can most definitely answer yes to that question. Why? Because it wouldn't be a perfect place without constant battles between pirates and ninjas.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #4241 on: September 24, 2010, 11:39:20 pm »

And here I thought this had been locked.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4242 on: September 24, 2010, 11:41:27 pm »

I don't really care whether or not there is a deity, because I wouldn't worship it even if it could prove it was all-powerful. Especially if it could.

However, it would provide an interesting conundrum. Can an all-powerful being create something so heavy that they can't lift it?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4243 on: September 24, 2010, 11:47:09 pm »

Hopy shit, this thread's been a zombie for a mere four hours and you guys are already trotting out the same stuff we've seen ten thousand times.
Shoes...

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #4244 on: September 24, 2010, 11:48:28 pm »

Is it obligatory that I say "STFU, this is all new ground"?

People have done it to me in this thread enough time, that I almost want to just out of spite.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 370