Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 392458 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #3870 on: May 06, 2010, 06:15:11 am »

@Starver (&Max): Funny thing is, evolution is a lot slower than the slowest human. Stupid people beget smart ones, and vice-versa. The largest increases in IQ that we've had in the world were through education, not breeding. [...]
IQ is a stupid measurement anyway (no pun intended!).  Even if I'd not come across so-called IQ tests that quite obviously have biases towards education/knowledge in many of the questions[1] I don't believe the values that I tended to get[2] from the ones that are better constructed and even differentiate individual IQ measurements down to spacial, numeric, logical, and other sub-categories.

I was more thinking of something equivalent to "Island populations", the separation of individual genetic intermixes from each other for sufficient time (really many millennia, not sure actually how long it would take in hominids, and there are still some controversies of whether Neanderthals and our ancesters could have interbred, regardless of whether they would have done so[3][4]...

[1] e.g. Unscramble some anagrams (needs at least some knowledge of English), and then say which of these is the odd one out (normally I'd say that was a knowledge issue as well, although, frankly, which would you say was the odd one out of Kennel, Cave, House and Tent?  That's not an IQ question, that latter part is like something from a "no answer is wrong" psychometric test where your choice indicates how you think...).

[2] Too high, if it matters.  Although even IQ aficionados who believe in the things tend to say that once you get near the 200s it becomes meaningless/inaccurate.

[3] "Oooh, I really like a bit of prominent eyebrow in my men, that's why I'm always dating those Neander Valley guys...  I know daddy said I should find a nice guy fresh out of Africa, but I'm a modern cavewoman and I'm entitled to date who I want...  And if Grrrr prefers his females without hairy backs, I want to be in there before anyone else from my tribe gets the taste for his kind of 'a bit of rough'...

[4] And, last I heard, they were still saying there was no sign of Neanderthal ancestry in any modern human.  But that's open to discussion and might be toppled by the next bit of genetic analysis done, if it hasn't been already...

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3871 on: May 06, 2010, 06:22:31 am »

There's no Neanderthal DNA in humans; we're pure Cro Magnon. Odds are likely that the Cro Magnon were basically better at being humans than the Neanderthals and wiped them out by virtue of being more awesome.

We actually found a corpse dubbed Mitochondrial Eve. She's the common ancestor of Humans; Every single Human on the planet is descended from Mitochondrial Eve. Every single little bit of Mitochondrial DNA in your body, and everyone else's body, is directly descended from Mitochondrial Eve. Y-chromosomal Adam is the male variant (father of all living humans) Both Adam and Eve are Cro Magnon and lived before the 'out of Africa' migration, which basically means every living human on the planet is descended from Cro Magnon.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3872 on: May 06, 2010, 07:04:58 am »

We wiped them out by eating them, you mean.

Actually, some studies I've read suggest that, while there wasn't any frequent direct competition, the Cro Magnon man just outbred the Neanderthals.

Victory by breeding. Darn right we're more awesome.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3873 on: May 06, 2010, 07:07:41 am »

Neruz... You're doing science wrong. AGAIN. Or still. You pick.

Previous investigations concentrated on mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA), which, owing to strictly matrilineal inheritance and subsequent vulnerability to genetic drift, is of limited value to disprove interbreeding of Neanderthals with Cro-Magnon people.

@Starver: If anything, we've been moving away from island populations. Never before in the history of man have so many different people from so many parts of the world and society interbred. Kings take peasant wives, millionaires marry waitresses, and travel is so cheap that I could find a girl of any nationality in the world in my city.
That people are now more "matching" on intellectual prowess is true, but I don't think the numbers are significant. There could be a case study there, though, although we'd first need a less stupid intelligence test.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3874 on: May 06, 2010, 07:23:05 am »

We wiped them out by eating them, you mean.

Actually, some studies I've read suggest that, while there wasn't any frequent direct competition, the Cro Magnon man just outbred the Neanderthals.

Victory by breeding. Darn right we're more awesome.

That's the most likely explaination, yes.

Neruz... You're doing science wrong. AGAIN. Or still. You pick.

No, i'm not. There is absolutely zero evidence that Neanderthals and Cro Magnon ever interbred. We have sequenced over a third of the Neanderthal genome and there's nothing, zip, the genome looks to be about 99.5% similar to our own, but that last 0.5% is the important bit, so to speak.

Mitochondrial Eve is but one piece of evidence, it is indeed of limited use, but it is still of use.

You'll note that i said that the Mitochondrial Eve and Y-Chromosonal Adam ancestors mean that every human being on the planet is descended from Cro Magnon; this does not in any way mean that we could not also be descended from Neanderthals. Otther evidence (the sequencing of the Neanderthal genome, amongst other things) forms the core of the theory.

So take your goddamn head out of your ass.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3875 on: May 06, 2010, 07:24:35 am »

Yep yep, they're as far from us as we are from Chimps. And we can't breed with Chimps.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3876 on: May 06, 2010, 07:25:56 am »

Pretty much.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3877 on: May 06, 2010, 07:32:02 am »

No, i'm not. There is absolutely zero evidence that Neanderthals and Cro Magnon ever interbred. We have sequenced over a third of the Neanderthal genome and there's nothing, zip, the genome looks to be about 99.5% similar to our own, but that last 0.5% is the important bit, so to speak.
There's also zero evidence that they didn't. There are good arguments back and forth and currently we still don't know. Please look it up. There's still a lot of dispute about this by people more learned in the subject than us.

You'll note that i said that the Mitochondrial Eve and Y-Chromosonal Adam ancestors mean that every human being on the planet is descended from Cro Magnon; this does not in any way mean that we could not also be descended from Neanderthals. Otther evidence (the sequencing of the Neanderthal genome, amongst other things) forms the core of the theory.
Not in context. You use it as an argument against non-Cro-magnon ancestors. You said "we're pure Cro-Magnon". We might not be and there's no conclusive evidence that we are or aren't, so far, and Mitochondrial DNA or Y-chromosomes are not evidence at all.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #3878 on: May 06, 2010, 07:43:29 am »

we can't breed with Chimps.

That's because Apes are one step above Chimps.

TWO steps above Humans.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3879 on: May 06, 2010, 08:49:22 am »

@Starver: If anything, we've been moving away from island populations.
Not really, if you consider we just removed the islands.  Mega cities.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3880 on: May 06, 2010, 08:51:49 am »

I see Siquo still doesn't understand the whole 'burden of proof' thing.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3881 on: May 06, 2010, 09:29:56 am »

Oh, I do, it's an argument used by people who have no arguments.  :D

I said no 'conclusive' evidence. There's evidence both against and for interspecies breeding, none of which is conclusive evidence. It's interesting enough to research, though, as we still don't know what exactly happened to the only other intelligent species we had and could communicate with on this planet.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3882 on: May 06, 2010, 09:41:01 am »

, though, as we still don't know what exactly happened to the only other intelligent species we had and could communicate with on this planet.

sure we do, we know they became extinct

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3883 on: May 06, 2010, 09:45:53 am »

Oh, I do, it's an argument used by people who have no arguments.  :D

The evidence to the contrary is most compelling.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3884 on: May 06, 2010, 09:48:50 am »

, though, as we still don't know what exactly happened to the only other intelligent species we had and could communicate with on this planet.

sure we do, we know they became extinct

Oh oh oh and they had funeral customs. Don't forget that.
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 370