Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] 245 246 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 392692 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #3645 on: April 28, 2010, 09:13:43 pm »

Who is more likely to commit a heinous act?  A man threatened by retaliation from the law or a man threatened by retaliation from both the law and the eternal punishment of his Pantheon?

People who are likely to 'commit a heinous act' are already in a position where they either do not care about the consequences, or are unable to do so.

Tacking on extra consequences will not have any impact whatsoever to the vast majority of crime.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #3646 on: April 28, 2010, 09:21:47 pm »

I'd like to point out that hunter-gatherer societies don't have a proper system of morals in their religions (according to the Evolution of God). Religion only jumped in as a moral force when humanity moved to cheifdoms, since cheifs needed some sort of backing to their power, and written words haven't been discovered yet. Even then, it was fairly odd, and favoured the ruling class.

As far as religions go, only the Abrahamic ones have the universalist moral god, and even then, I find his earlier actions immoral.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB3g6mXLEKk&feature=player_embedded wait untill this video starts talking about crime and punishment under god's law.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 09:58:53 pm by chaoticag »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3647 on: April 28, 2010, 11:47:32 pm »

Who is more likely to commit a heinous act?  A man threatened by retaliation from the law or a man threatened by retaliation from both the law and the eternal punishment of his Pantheon?
L < L+P
0 < P
except that P can be negative, in the case of a religious directive to commit a heinous act. Also consider the implications of personal motivation, which in the case of religion requires a connection to a religion, which implies a separation from religion that must be overcome.
L+M ? L+P-S
Of course, the idea of an afterlife and its conditions could be interpreted differently to a personal conviction. But this would be a mistake, for many reasons. Belief in deities and belief in afterlife are separate, the two can exist(or not) independently of each other. Betrayal of personal conviction is a destruction and mutilation of the self, and just as condemning as eternal pain. The perpetuation of one's presence occurs regardless of afterlife, and while limited, is everything one has, maintaining one's reputation is equally important whether one is maintaining a reputation with a deity or if they are maintaining it with their peers.
So it all comes down to the relative intentions of motivation and doctrine, and the difficulties in interpretation, which affect religion more diligently due the religion originating beyond the self...

Without a religion, where does one acquire any basis for one's morality?  Certainly, murder is "wrong," but why is this?
Biological and environmental conditioning state that murder is wrong, however they also state that society is righteous, which is used to justify sanctioned murder in the form of punishments and warfare. "Murder is wrong" most assuredly is not certain...

One can logically conclude that a purpose is desirable, and therefore quest for a purpose. One can logically conclude that obviously false purposes are flawed, which will result in inaccuracies which ideally should not be tolerated, and will obscure any genuine purposes that may be encountered. Therefore a true moral imperative is to seek understanding in the hopes of determining a true purpose. This leads to obvious implications. Preservation is preferable to change, exploration is preferable to stagnation, coordination is preferable to competition. Conflicts should be resolved by analysing the impact of various actions and proceeding with the most probable scenario for attaining the final goal...

Or you could just draw your purpose from science, but that language is too horrific to utter here.

If one say's "Because I know it's wrong," how can that hold more weight than "I know it's wrong plus Zeus forbids it?"
My third step-cousin's wife had a 'divine experience' with Zeus, I have been looking for a way to get back at him for that...

Humanity is flawed - thus the mistaken "belief" in a higher power that supposedly knows better (or demands better regardless of reason) is most certainly a higher ground than merely "I believe" or "Society believes."
Humanity is flawed therefore they were created by something perfect, or made flawed by something else created by something perfect. [sarcasm]That makes so much sense that[/sarcasm] it hurts. Higher ground is useless if it is so unstable that it collapses before you can reach it...

Furthermore, there are different conceptions on what murder even is.  A nation can't supply the moral "backbone," so to speak, as to why this is.  People are far more likely to disagree with a Government's mandates than a God's.
Nations can, and do, from executions to deathcamps to wars to abortions, to free medicine, nations place values on life all the time, and are respected for it. Nations are more powerful than gods, gods are just buried under so many layers of fanfiction that nobody realises it...

Look at it this way, people in the United States have this odd notion that religions should be treated with respect - even other Atheists mouth this rhetoric - why?
Last I heard they had this ridiculous obsession with freedom...

People lend more weight to a religion just by virtue of the fact that so many people claim to believe it.
There are perfectly valid explanations for it, it seems certain that people would have religion regardless of whether there were any gods...

I am perhaps not the appropriate man to voice this philosophy, what with my somewhat inadequate communication skills, but I think the truth behind this is fairly evident - if there is someone who could better voice this, I would gladly defer to them.
I apologise if I have misinterpreted anything, my own skills are somewhat lacking, but I do hope to uncover some measure of truth from such conversations...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3648 on: April 28, 2010, 11:55:49 pm »

My third step-cousin's wife had a 'divine experience' with Zeus, I have been looking for a way to get back at him for that...

"Insert 'My old nickname was Zeus' joke here"
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #3649 on: April 29, 2010, 12:02:41 am »

Wait, that Zeus that decended upon many women and... did stuff to them?
Oh gods.

On a more serious note, the only reason we believe/believed we are created by gods is because it needed to be explained somehow. We came from somewhere, and people wanted to know. It then turned into a method of extortion, even under hunter-gatherer societies.

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3650 on: April 29, 2010, 12:30:46 am »

the Crusades and Inquisition are Catholic

The Inquisition is the best example of the brutality of the Catholic church, but with regards to the Crusades, my impression is that it had more to do with an attempt to stave off the Caliphate's advances into Europe than it did with any real Christian idealism (like any war, honestly).  The crusade of 1220 is likely the only crusade motivated by any actual faith, and that's assuming the crusade even really existed.

Whether or not the Crusades were actually motivated by religion isn't much of an issue; the fact is, religion was used as a justification by the instigators, which caused fervent laypeople to fight even more viciously in the Holy Land. That's not even mentioning the butchery of European Jews while they were on the way.

With regards to Hitler being a Christian, I have serious doubts regarding the validity of these statements.  Certainly before 1920 it is plausible, but this is the man who thought that all of Christianity was an invention of the Jews designed to inflict suffering on the world - not the most religious of statements.  I'm not a scholar on this subject, but the evidence seems lacking.

As I said before, he and the Nazi party created a state and personality cult, which was, essentially, a state religion. The same can be said of communist nations, most notably North Korea: the North Koreans are taught to revere Kim Il-Sung and Kim Jong-Il as gods in all but name.

The problem with Atheism is that, without a unifying philosophical force, one does not have a moral directive with which to do "the right thing."

Atheism isn't an over-arching philosophy anyway; atheism is simply the lack of belief in god(s). And religion doesn't have a monopoly on morals.

Say what you will about religion's dubious validity in *any* circumstance, but it is almost certainly a net positive for this world.  An atheist does not have anything to back his morals up with - even the most ardent and "right" of philosophies falls apart without an all-powerful, all-knowing deity to punish people in the afterlife.

An atheist does indeed have something to back his morals up with: biology. Altruism is an evolved trait, observable among many primates. Reciprocal favors are as well. Since most morals can be seen as stemming from these basic principles, I think your assertion falls apart.

Consider this, who is more likely to murder? The man that fears the retribution of the law (assuming he is not in a position to *make* law), or the man who fears the law *and* eternal punishment from a deity/pantheon?

Consider this, who is more likely to commit murder? The man that knows he will spend eternity in paradise for his act, or the man who knows he has but one life to live and he shouldn't throw his or others' away?

The answer is obvious.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3651 on: April 29, 2010, 12:33:31 am »

I still don't understand why I created a world where I created a person to create an obscure game that spawned an even more obscure forum that I've gone to one of the most obscure forum posting areas to debate with other creations of my mind to argue my own case of solipsism with my very own idea that there's no religion, and further debate with myself those two topics with the opposite notion that there could be something outside my mind controlling it all.

Certainly I could have made this universe a more interesting place, unless I'm yet another puppet of my mind.

(perspective, perspective)
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3652 on: April 29, 2010, 02:17:02 am »

Atheism is moral-less. But most atheists fix that by adhering to secular Humanism, a very good set of moral philosophy, IMHO, and a lot more Christian than most christians...

Also: requote myself because nobody seems to have read it:
The point is kind of moot though, as most wars are fought and genocides are committed for power and territory, and ideology and religion are only the excuse to make it seem "right".

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3653 on: April 29, 2010, 02:26:26 am »

Also: requote myself because nobody seems to have read it:
The point is kind of moot though, as most wars are fought and genocides are committed for power and territory, and ideology and religion are only the excuse to make it seem "right".

For the Generals, perhaps, but for the soldiers in a religious war, they fight because their God demands it.

Soldiers have to want to fight, otherwise they don't. One of the best ways to make soldiers want to fight is to wield Religion at them.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3654 on: April 29, 2010, 02:35:20 am »

Ah, but then Religion or Ideology is a mere weapon, not the reason why people were killed.

And in that train of thought, ANYTHING can be used as a weapon, it's just that one is more effective than the other, so I still fail to see the point of what Hitler had for breakfast.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #3655 on: April 29, 2010, 02:45:43 am »

Actualy, there is a laundry list of people who should be killed for "crimes" in the bible, and in Islam, and in Judaism, as well as Polynesian, Mayan and Aztec human sacrifice, to appease one or more deities. Religion and ideology does kill people.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3656 on: April 29, 2010, 03:29:23 am »

But it's hardly mass-murdering, and incomparable to wars. You are also mixing up death sentences (which are secular as well, and secular states win in kills per year) with sacrifices.

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3657 on: April 29, 2010, 03:41:54 am »

(which are secular as well, and secular states win in kills per year)

Of course, because secular states make up like, what, 99% of existent nations? No shit they win in kills per year.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3658 on: April 29, 2010, 04:45:29 am »

Nah, it's mostly China and the US, if you look at The List ;)

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3659 on: April 29, 2010, 04:50:52 am »

The US, which is a largely Christian-inhabited nation in which said religion permeates the social and political structure to a truly alarming degree? Yeah, not surprised.
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] 245 246 ... 370