Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 392375 times)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #3570 on: April 26, 2010, 09:40:12 am »

Yes, I actually do that. I do not always open it and give her what she wants, because not everything she wants is good for her. However, if she is thirsty, it's up to her to listen to her body, and tell me she wants a drink (aside from the normal drinking pattern). Which she does, and it works fine.

She's the happiest when she's in relatively safe surroundings (for my own peace of mind), and she can wander off on her own. I'll just follow at a respectful distance, and she occasionally looks back if I'm still there, but she can lead the way. She loves that. When she falls, I'm there for comfort, and when she's near danger, I'll lead her back or protect her, but I'm not there to tell her what to do and where to go every single step of the way (which a lot of parents do). She's about 20 months old now.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3571 on: April 26, 2010, 06:23:59 pm »

So, you basically keep your own religion by selecting your favourite excerpts from everything you hear a wide variety of people say in reference to Christianity?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3572 on: April 26, 2010, 10:24:33 pm »

So, you basically keep your own religion by selecting your favourite excerpts from everything you hear a wide variety of people say in reference to Christianity?
Who.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3573 on: April 26, 2010, 11:30:58 pm »

Siquo
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3574 on: April 26, 2010, 11:39:28 pm »

This is mostly unrelated but I find it humorous.

Whenever a particularly zealous member of any faith tries to goad me into an argument I merely assert that I am the particular deity that he is proselytizing for. In the past I have been everyone from Jehovah to Gaia and so far no one as been able to in anyway prove that I am not the mortal incarnation of an omniscient being.

It ends conversations quickly and tends to lead me to giggles.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3575 on: April 27, 2010, 06:35:57 am »

Yep, almost.
Not specifically Western Christianity, but since I was raised in a society whose values are derived from western Christianity, that one is closest to me. The Islam has many wonderful ideas, but was mainly written for tribal desert-folk who didn't know how to coexist peacefully in an urban setting. Eastern and Greek Christianity also have some unique views that I like, not to mention ideas from Hinduism and Buddhism. Then there's philosophy, and the whole New-Age movement which has matured quite a lot in a few cases, and actually have original ideas that make sense.

I was into aliens at age 13, practicing wiccanism at 14, at 15 I checked out satanism and various occult sects, at 16/17/18 I was either high, drunk or hallucinating, at 18 a firm believer of the absolute truth of Science, at 21 a follower of Chaos Magic, at 23 I met God and decided to be a Christian-without-church, and at age 25 decided that my form of christianity was totally compatible with the humanism I was raised with, except that there's a God involved somewhere. At 28 I read some more new-ageish stuff, but I liked "conversations with God" very much. From that book I devised a theory/had a revelation that I only half-believe in, and is somewhat difficult to explain, but one that's very much changing my perception of others.

So yeah, I take a bit of everything. It's called learning. It's like the quiz-show with the three doors:  If you never change your mind, you're more likely to be wrong.

@piecewise That's quite a nice strategy... Except against pantheists and panentheists, who already believe you are God.. :)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3576 on: April 27, 2010, 07:30:37 am »

This is how many religions are born. Maybe we will see Siquoism one day  :D

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3577 on: April 27, 2010, 08:08:45 am »

Perish the thought.

Anyone know how to remove a topic from subscription so it doesn't show up in the 'show new replies to your posts' thing? As apparantly the warning i recieved late last year for posting a picture of hitler, the warning for posting a large image of a cat and the warning for calling Siquo a monkey stacked up into a 3 day mute, i'd rather not risk further punishment now that i know that warnings are dealt with on a per-thread basis rather than a context basis, and the best way to do that would be to remove this thread from showing up in 'show new replies to your posts'.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3578 on: April 27, 2010, 10:18:30 am »

Perish the thought.

Anyone know how to remove a topic from subscription so it doesn't show up in the 'show new replies to your posts' thing? As apparantly the warning i recieved late last year for posting a picture of hitler, the warning for posting a large image of a cat and the warning for calling Siquo a monkey stacked up into a 3 day mute, i'd rather not risk further punishment now that i know that warnings are dealt with on a per-thread basis rather than a context basis, and the best way to do that would be to remove this thread from showing up in 'show new replies to your posts'.
You can't remove it from there unfortunately... there are a few threads I'd like to unwatch and the other method of subscribing using the notify emails is more annoying.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3579 on: April 27, 2010, 11:37:41 am »

We could start a new atheists thread, one where popular posts could be voted onto the first page, and stuff that I can't think of...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Read the First Post!

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3580 on: April 27, 2010, 12:14:00 pm »

We could start a new atheists thread, one where popular posts could be voted onto the first page, and stuff that I can't think of...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
You'd have to have one dedicated and impartial OP for that!
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3581 on: April 27, 2010, 01:15:33 pm »

the warning for calling Siquo a monkey

You got reported for that?! And it was an ape, mot a monkey, as I recall, which is 99% the same DNA as us, so there's hardly an insult there.
I think only the person that was actually insulted should be able to make a report.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3582 on: April 27, 2010, 02:17:56 pm »

a monkey, as I recall, which is 99% the same DNA as us
I'm insulted that you'd insinuate that!

(apologies if this is taken seriously...)

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #3583 on: April 27, 2010, 02:30:41 pm »

You got reported for that?! And it was an ape, mot a monkey, as I recall, which is 99% the same DNA as us, so there's hardly an insult there.

Oh, there is an insult there.

Apes are one step above monkies.

Two steps above HUMANS.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3584 on: April 27, 2010, 02:49:59 pm »

the warning for calling Siquo a monkey

I think only the person that was actually insulted should be able to make a report.

Fun fact, humans are apes.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 370