Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 392989 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #3255 on: April 19, 2010, 10:22:10 am »

Well you'd think that if Satan wanted to torture people he'd kill more people so he'd have more people to torture.
I'd love to refer you (if you aren't already aware of it) to "Old Harry's Game".  Episode 1 of Series 1 was just repeated on Radio 7 (www.bbc.co.uk/radio7) and may (or may not) be "Listen again"-able in your locale, and may not have any immediate bearing on the general discussion but:
  • Is a very funny series (IMHO, YMMV, and s1e1 suffers a bit from being new and thus the studio audience's laughter is a bit wobbly)
  • In about three series' time Satan does try to change how many people go to Hell, as opposed to just deal with those arriving, but I don't want to say more without spoilering...

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #3256 on: April 19, 2010, 12:28:56 pm »

Most of those assumptions are philosophical in nature, Siquo, and not what Neruz is talking about. Only the first is an assumption imposed nature, the rest are assumptions we impose upon ourselves (e.g. we can know nature.)

And no, he's not trolling, Siquo, you're the one who is being contradictory apparently for the sake of being contradictory.
favourite philosophical topics: Science.

Im sorry, youre just coming off as stupid. Has it ever come to mind that science is neither, its just science.
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3257 on: April 19, 2010, 05:23:28 pm »

Indeed, the days of natural philosophy have been over with for a long time.

SIGVARDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3258 on: April 19, 2010, 05:31:26 pm »

218 pages of arguing for arguments sake,all involved knowing they will never convince one side or the other.

futility at it's finest.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3259 on: April 19, 2010, 05:32:05 pm »

Has it ever come to mind that science is neither, its just science.
Science is Science. How scientific.

Perhaps you guys could do with some philosophy. Really, just start with some Kuhn or Popper to get a view on science, then try some greek, some of the roman sceptics, and chronologically work your way until Fukuyama (whom you may skip, as far as I'm concerned). It'll do you good, and smart people never miss an opportunity to learn, right? Right?

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3260 on: April 19, 2010, 05:34:20 pm »

218 pages of arguing for arguments sake,all involved knowing they will never convince one side or the other.

futility at it's finest.

That's... contradictory  :D
With a dash of irony in it.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3261 on: April 19, 2010, 05:36:40 pm »

Has it ever come to mind that science is neither, its just science.
Science is Science. How scientific.

Perhaps you guys could do with some philosophy. Really, just start with some Kuhn or Popper to get a view on science, then try some greek, some of the roman sceptics, and chronologically work your way until Fukuyama (whom you may skip, as far as I'm concerned). It'll do you good, and smart people never miss an opportunity to learn, right? Right?

Kuhn and Popper wrote a lot of philosophy ABOUT science, sure, but that doesn't make science a subset of philosophy any more than doing an experiment on a tree makes the tree into science. Likewise with ancient philosophers discussing the natural world. If I'm wrong, point me to their data and we'll talk; that's, for me, the primary difference between science and philosophy. Science needs data, philosophy just needs logic.

Anyways, anybody got that "No U!" image that's been shopped so that the guy's thumb is himself, etc.?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3262 on: April 19, 2010, 05:40:23 pm »

I don't know... all Philosophy is is a bunch of people sitting around trying to come up with reasons for questions that they couldn't possibly answer.  Throw in a dash of conjecture, an pinch of imagination, knead it out with gusto, and... hey wait a second!  Religion came from philosophy, didn't it?

No thanks.  I'll keep my feet grounded in things that don't involve imagining I am a pink pickle in a jar.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3263 on: April 19, 2010, 05:44:00 pm »

Well religion and philo probably come from the same mother. I would wager their as old as each other.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3264 on: April 19, 2010, 05:51:29 pm »

Yeah, and Science, its methods and its assumptions definitely came from philosophy. It's a lot younger and more inexperienced than religions and sciences, though.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3265 on: April 19, 2010, 05:53:55 pm »

Well religion and philo probably come from the same mother. I would wager their as old as each other.
I think I would argue that you can't have religion without someone first coming up with the idea, then teaching it to others.  Someone had the question... philosopher answers question in a way that may or may not be true... person spreads answer.

Yeah, and Science, its methods and its assumptions definitely came from philosophy. It's a lot younger and more inexperienced than religions and sciences, though.
Someone thought... this isn't working.  We are just blabbering ideas without any way to test or prove them... let's make a system.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #3266 on: April 19, 2010, 06:22:33 pm »

Science has as much to do with Philosophy as homo erectus has to do with humans. One came from the other, but that does not make you homo erectus, you are still homo sapien.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #3267 on: April 19, 2010, 06:24:01 pm »

Agreed.

Philosophy is pure thought, it doesn't prove anything.
Science does prove stuff, because it is based on hard facts.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Vitamin P

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3268 on: April 19, 2010, 08:39:12 pm »

The ignorance in this thread makes me cringe D: .

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3269 on: April 19, 2010, 09:23:17 pm »

The ignorance in this thread makes me cringe D: .
Pointless comment is pointless.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 370