Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 393201 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #2535 on: March 19, 2010, 11:53:05 pm »

I'm a bit late, so I won't go into detail unless asked, but I think the seemingly infallible logic puzzle Neruz has placed forward has some flaws in it that still leaves it open to Theological debate.

Either point out the flaws or don't say there are any. Just going "Oh hay, ur rong" is of no use to anyone.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: March 19, 2010, 11:57:55 pm »

Yeah, this thread has changed topics so many times... once more could never hurt.  Besides, I'm in a hugely humorous mood after reading the 404 game thread.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: March 20, 2010, 01:34:23 am »

The thought excersize is simple Siquo:

If god is all-powerful, all-knowing and all-benevolant, then by the very definition of the concept there cannot be suffering in the world.

Therefore, one of those is missing, either God cannot end all suffering, he does not know there is suffering he has not ended, or he does not want to end suffering. One of those must be true.

If one of those is not true, then God is sufficiently alien that Human concepts cannot be applied to him, and therefore he is not all-benevolant, as benevolance is a Human concept.

There is no logic breakthrough that destroys the Christian faith here. In Christianity, there is suffering on Earth as a test to see if people are worthy of going to Heaven. This is far from being outside human understanding (and the very idea that you would think something is not real because you don't think that any human being can grasp it is ludicrous. There are better reasons than this).

The obvious answer to this, of course, is "but if God is omnipotent and controls and knows everything, he already knows if you will go to Heaven or not".

Yes. This is true. He does. That doesn't mean anything, ultimately. It's like Dr. Manhattan knowing everything that will happen, but doing nothing to stop it simply because that's the way the universe flows.

Of course, I don't know where this idea of a benevolent God with no negative emotions comes from. Have you read the Bible? The Christian God is every bit as temperamental and overly sensitive as Zeus.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: March 20, 2010, 01:44:54 am »

There is no logic breakthrough that destroys the Christian faith here.

Well duh. The logic isn't intended to 'destroy the Christian faith', merely prove that logically God cannot be All-Powerful, All-Seeing and All-Benevolent. The reality does not add up.

In Christianity, there is suffering on Earth as a test to see if people are worthy of going to Heaven.

Omniscient, he already knows who is worthy of going to heaven. That's what Omniscient means; knows everything.

This is far from being outside human understanding

In which case he's not Benevolent, you cannot apply a human characteristic to a nonhuman entity. Especially one so alien as to be beyond understanding.

Yes. This is true. He does. That doesn't mean anything, ultimately. It's like Dr. Manhattan knowing everything that will happen, but doing nothing to stop it simply because that's the way the universe flows.

Wow, you're using a deconstruction of the superman and how being all-powerful and having a 'perfect' body with no needs will drive a human mind completely insane as a comparison to God? Great work there bud.

Of course, I don't know where this idea of a benevolent God with no negative emotions comes from. Have you read the Bible? The Christian God is every bit as temperamental and overly sensitive as Zeus.

Go talk to a priest. The modern Christian God bears little resemblance to the one in the bible.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: March 20, 2010, 01:51:31 am »

You didn't actually respond to any of my points. You just said "you're wrong" a number of times, repeated what you originally said, and mocked my allegories. This is why I don't like to actually explain myself in this thread.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: March 20, 2010, 01:55:49 am »

You didn't actually respond to any of my points. You just said "you're wrong" a number of times, repeated what you originally said, and mocked my allegories. This is why I don't like to actually explain myself in this thread.

Nice dodge.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: March 20, 2010, 02:37:53 am »

Wait, I'm confused. I could have sworn Neruz quoted every one of your "points" and then gave a counter (With the exception of the Dr. Manhattan part). Neruz is that what you done did there?
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: March 20, 2010, 02:40:27 am »

Wait, I'm confused. I could have sworn Neruz quoted every one of your "points" and then gave a counter (With the exception of the Dr. Manhattan part). Neruz is that what you done did there?

I believe think it is be yes.

And the Manhattern part is actually a counter, he used Dr. Manhatten knowing what the future is but still being a 'puppet' as an example of how God being Omniscient could be meaningless. This is not only suggesting that God is a puppet but also suggesting that God is a massive sociopath quietly going insane in his own head.

This would not be the kind of God i would want to worship.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: March 20, 2010, 04:08:16 am »

Super quote wall attack!

Also, if i can't trust my senses, i can't trust anything and might as well just shoot myself. Except if i can't trust my senses i can't be sure that i actually just shot myself.
You can't trust your senses, just look at optical illusions. After that, can you trust your interpretations of your senses?
Optical illusions are pathetic. Touch them, familiarise yourself with them, or even just notice the inconsistencies within many of them and they are easily defeated. A more resilient example would be fraud. Someone walks up to you, asks for directions to the nearest, say, hospital. Tells you about the friend they are visiting, and walks away in the direction you suggested. Your senses, and mind, tell you that they were lost and looking for help, but the truth is that they were keeping you still and distracted while their co-worker picked your pocket. The truth is that your senses are actually, in almost all cases, accurate, and almost all illusions play upon the various levels of interpretation that the sensory data is processed by.

So what can we do to determine truth? And why would we?
 I suggest that truth is important because humans desire things that will be retarded in the absence of truth. You don't want your money stolen, so you want to know whether someone is being honest with you.
 As to finding the truth, all we can do is take the most reliable information we have and make assumptions based upon it, then logically extrapolate the appropriate response to a situation. You want to avoid thieves? Well some thieves use distractions, so if you are distracted, consider reassessing your security...

That's no reason to shoot yourself, beliefs like that aren't worth dieing for.
What do you have against death? Death is great! You get to stay up as late as you want, you get into all the cool parties, and there is an unlimited supply of free chocolate!

@Areyar: Bring on those pitchforks!  ;D
Here comes the rant!
Omnipotence and randomness are not mutually exclusive. An omnipotent being could in one moment imagine an entire universe
I find this the most accurate way of portraying the typical all-powerful monotheistic deity. As its imagination we exist solely to serve its whims, it does not care for us, it does not value us, it does not respect us, such things are completely inappropriate. Your imagination serves to entertain you, it gives you a chance to review a scenario beyond the constraints of your existence, and you care only for what you can explore by using it.
 Imagination exists purely as a result of its creator, it doesn't matter what you choose to do, if you decide to adopt an orphan, then that is because you were imagined deciding that, and if you also choose to burn an orphanage to the ground, then that also is not something that you have any power to oppose. If you were truly to believe that, then the only benefit you could derive from your choices would be to evidence that you are a product of an entity you can be proud of, and that means that all products of it must be as virtuous as you are, or else they serve to defeat your hopes. In such a scenario the slightest betrayal condemns your beliefs, your actions must be pure, your thoughts must be pure, your neighbours must be pure, your planet must be pure, all things that exist must be pure or else it will prove that the only entity that matters, the only evidence of our existence, the only value we have, does not match your hopes, and the whole of everything will have ended unsatisfactorily...

Is everything predestined then? In a way, yes, but only if you have the "outside view". Which we don't, so for all practical purposes, the universe is not predestined and you do have free will.
If we ignore a god's implications than it is obvious to ignore its existence also.

I just said, 4 times, that all-powerful or omnipotence has multiple interpretations/definitions
It does no, there is only one definition of absolute power, all deviation is a failing in the human capacity to comprehend the failure of logic. If an all-powerful entity maintains that something is impossible for an all-powerful entity while simultaneously enacting that impossibility then it is not in conflict, existence enters into conflict to make allow its actions. There is however, plenty of room to debate the specific aspects of a specific entity. It is no surprise that people might throw around concepts beyond their ken to artificially aggrandise their subject. But even a truly limitless being can be logically refuted effectively. We can observe its evidence and quantify its nature, and that is enough to prove if the existence of a creator is more or less probable than the absence of one.

When did time start? It didn't
Why does this existence exist? It just does.
These are perfectly sound, logical, and probable answers to the needs that a creator attempts to, and quite resoundingly fails, to fulfil.

If you then try to apply a human concept, or if you really BELIEVE in it, a universal concept such as logic on it, you'll still fail, because even universal means: limited to this universe. Which God ain't.
Imagine the following scenario: There is a human, if the human does not eat it will die. There is food, the human can eat it. There is a road, from the human's perspective, cars appear upon it randomly, and they travel at random speeds, though their may be patterns or distributions limiting that randomness, if the human coincides with a car then the human will die. The human cannot eat the food without coinciding with the road. The human dying from the above causes is not satisfactory.

Do you agree that the above scenario is plausible?
If yes, then can you depict a satisfactory scenario that you feel is plausible without using logic?
If no, then if humans rely upon logic, and a god does not conform to logic, is it, logic or no, appropriate for those humans to accept that god?

reliable evidence
There you go, the hole in the wall. You have none at all. Unless you define it to be. Where your definition is nothing more or less than someone elses definition that there must be a God. So you're back at square 1. Do not pass Go.
Quite the contrary, I have a great deal of reliable evidence, if a tennis-ball forcefully strikes a wall I expect it to bounce. I Have seen this happen every time, if something has not bounced than either it was not a tennis-ball, its subject was not a wall, or it did not forcefully strike it. The evidence is reliable because it produces a consistent result, it never betrays me, never! It is also reliable because it is apparently not lying, there are always alternatives, but at its core there are some very consistent theories about tension and pressure and the distribution of energy that all converge on the scenario that tennis-balls are bouncy!

So it is that what we have is lots and lots of reliable evidence, an entire world of it, in fact, THE entire world of it. The creator gave us a world that forces us to rely upon evidence, and then denies us any reliable evidence of its own existence. It has forced a situation in which the only way that a human will believe in it it if that human is voluntarily or otherwise ignorant. I for one do not wish to be accepted based solely upon my faculties of ignorance.

As for the other assumptions: 1. Doesn't need to be. Buddha was merely wise.
1. Buddha is according to some, not a god.
2. Buddha is, at least in some stories, extremely powerful, more powerful, ironically, than the gods...
3. Wisdom IS power, even just withholding it or granting it can have great influence upon humans...

3. No, it's not. Worship is not prevalent amongst all religions. A lot, but not most, and it certainly isn't the basis for the value of a religion.
If worship is not desired, then why would it be a good idea to
1. Impose your worship upon a god that doesn't want it.
2. Have a religion to something that doesn't worship anything.
or 3. Whatever other scenario involves participation in a religion to a being that doesn't care about that religion.

Grrrrrr, to be fair, I must admit that my original statement "Worshipping god is important." is flawed, a more fitting version would be 'participation in the religion is important.'

In general: Often logic is produced to "prove" that an omnipotent God is impossible. But if you are omnipotent, you could wipe any of your thousand arses with logic at any time. So there :P
But humans can't, and humans are more important to the question of theism than any possible gods are.

In Christianity, there is suffering on Earth as a test to see if people are worthy of going to Heaven. {}

The obvious answer to this, of course, is "but if God is omnipotent and controls and knows everything, he already knows if you will go to Heaven or not".
The obvious answer is far from that. The christian god is a creator, that is its single most definite feature. And ironically, it is also the obvious rebuttal to that statement. If a creator actually wants worthy humans then that creator could just create them worthy to begin with. A truly powerful creator could create a thing to possess an effective simulation of a history, it could create it with wear and tear, it could create whatever it requires. If there were anything that even suggests that there might be some answer to this then there may be some reason for people to worship. But as it stands, there is a pretty good reason for humans to find the modern christian god to be worthy of opposing, even in the absence of hope, because even failed resistance is better than being bound to such a monster. Even if its only crime is to deny us the ability to know its benevolence...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: March 20, 2010, 05:00:32 am »

1. Buddha is according to some, not a god.

I'm pretty sure Buddha is never a god, he is just a man. An enlightened man, but a man none the less. That's kind of the whole point.

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: March 20, 2010, 06:14:01 am »

It seems true that the bible in parts doesn't really support an all benevolent god, nor really an omniscient one. However, that god is omnipotent, omniscient, perfect and omnibenevolent (the latter often understood as being implied by perfection) seems to be the stance of many Christians, classical and modern Christian theologians and philosophers, and the official stance of the catholic church:

Quote from: wikipedia
The acknowledgement of God's omnibenevolence is an essential foundation in traditional Christianity,[...]. This understanding is evident in the following statement by the First Vatican Council:

The Holy, Catholic, Apostolic and Roman Church believes and acknowledges that there is one true and living God, Creator and Lord of Heaven and earth, almighty, eternal, immeasurable, incomprehensible, infinite in will, understanding and every perfection. Since He is one, singular, completely simple and unchangeable spiritual substance, He must be declared to be in reality and in essence, distinct from the world, supremely happy in Himself and from Himself, and inexpressibly loftier than anything besides Himself which either exists or can be imagined.

The philosophical justification stems from God's aseity: the non-contingent, independence and self-sustained mode of existence that theologians ascribe to God. For if He was not morally perfect, that is, if God was merely a great being but nevertheless of finite benevolence, then his existence would involve an element of contingency, because one could always conceive of a being of greater benevolence.[5]

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: March 20, 2010, 06:21:40 am »

For if He was not morally perfect, that is, if God was merely a great being but nevertheless of finite benevolence, then his existence would involve an element of contingency, because one could always conceive of a being of greater benevolence.

Neat. That something that I find puzzling, is the need for an all powerful god. That sums up a reason why pretty well.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: March 20, 2010, 06:35:13 am »

For if He was not morally perfect, that is, if God was merely a great being but nevertheless of finite benevolence, then his existence would involve an element of contingency, because one could always conceive of a being of greater benevolence.

Neat. That something that I find puzzling, is the need for an all powerful god. That sums up a reason why pretty well.

Admittedly, the fact that the Universe doesn't give a shit is a little scary if you really think about it.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: March 20, 2010, 06:51:26 am »

hmm. Come to think of it, buddism is like a gnostic philosophy.
The world is an evil illusion (the wheel of existence) from which souls should seek to escape,
Budda escaped by attaining enlightenment and became one with the force.
In that sense Buddha is an example to follow (a messiah), but not a god. Even if you'd interpret becoming one with the ultimate Source qualifies for being devine, the definition of this Force is such that it is outside of the universe. Which renders worshiping him (or the force itself) meaningless because it is not aware.

Eventhough buddism is pretty atheist, it still assumes many things about the world that have no substantiation besides rhetoric. So it is not for me.

Like worrying about the universe ending in a big crunch, worrying about gods is so far outside the scope of human experience as to be meaningless.

ed:
I feel the omnipotence of gods arose from one-up-manship of the various religions as they converted and reconverted big chunks of people. Omniscience in pantheons was always the area of the king-gods. Converting was mostly based on "my god is stronger and better than all your gods combined!" argument. (If you can believe in multiple deities, you can believe in a foreign god of ultimate power. And: if your god is more powerful than your neighbours', your prayers will  be more powerful and his cow might die instead of yours.)

Admittedly, the fact that the Universe doesn't give a shit is a little scary if you really think about it.
Less scary than a Yehova up there ready to throw burning rock at your city when your neighbours are non-believers!
I prefer my flaming rocks thrown by predictable, non-caring universal laws above caring gods, whose intentions and desires need to be interpreted from arbitrary interpretations of meaning that does not come to us directly from the God, but through endlessly revised records of accounts of victims of heatstroke.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 07:15:51 am by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: March 20, 2010, 07:23:36 am »

Wow. That was a lot of text, quotewalls and rants. And most if not all of it was very good...

I don't have the time right now to reply, since I've got a party to go to (and yes, parties are way more important than philosophy ;) ), but I will try to reply to each question, argument or rebuttal.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 370