Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 393233 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #2520 on: March 19, 2010, 05:16:40 pm »

No not even monotheistic gods are all-powerful. For instance, Lucifer, an angle and creation of god, caused extreme amounts of problems for him/her. Also why did god need Moses to transport all those people when in another story, the tower of babel, he was capable of sending massive amounts of people to faraway lands while changing their languages?

Also why would an omnipotent person even create humans?

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: March 19, 2010, 05:49:44 pm »

No not even monotheistic gods are all-powerful. For instance, Lucifer, an angle and creation of god, caused extreme amounts of problems for him/her. Also why did god need Moses to transport all those people when in another story, the tower of babel, he was capable of sending massive amounts of people to faraway lands while changing their languages?

Also why would an omnipotent person even create humans?

All excellent logical reasons for why the Christian\Catholic god (and other similar all-powerful gods) cannot possibly be the way they say they are.

Sticking with Christian for now; convention Christianity says that God is all-powerful. He is omnipotent, omnipresent and omniscient. He is everywhere, knows everything and can do anything, he is also infinitely benevolent. A simple logical excersize proves this cannot possibly be the case, but that doesn't stop people from beliving it anyway.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: March 19, 2010, 06:01:52 pm »

Ah yes, simple logic, a thought-construction that defeats an all-powerful all-knowing thought-construction. I'm not really surprised that it doesn't stop people from believing in omnipotence.  ;D
Especially if you read the link about it that I provided twice, where the various forms of omnipotence are discussed, including a few forms in Christianity, where the definition also seems to differ from age to age and sub-group to sub-group, also including a few that deal with the "logical exercise" that you mention.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: March 19, 2010, 06:09:57 pm »

But I would like to hear YOUR opinion Siquo. Why is this clearly logical explanation wrong? Is the christian god just not all powerful?

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: March 19, 2010, 06:16:50 pm »

The thought excersize is simple Siquo:

If god is all-powerful, all-knowing and all-benevolant, then by the very definition of the concept there cannot be suffering in the world.

Therefore, one of those is missing, either God cannot end all suffering, he does not know there is suffering he has not ended, or he does not want to end suffering. One of those must be true.

If one of those is not true, then God is sufficiently alien that Human concepts cannot be applied to him, and therefore he is not all-benevolant, as benevolance is a Human concept.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 06:19:16 pm by Neruz »

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2525 on: March 19, 2010, 06:25:24 pm »

So what I get from the other camp is that they can decide what parts of the Bible to follow, or none of it.  God could have infinite power (omnipotence) or not.  And logic can be meaningless, or not.

Is there anything you adhere to or do you simply change the stance when it fits your mood, much like organized religion?

How are you supposed to know what's right and wrong if you can claim God's will or just ignore it at will?

How does religion stay alive if nobody knows the rules to live them by?

You're just making it all up as you go along...  That's all there is to it.  Someone comes up to you and contests your belief and you change it.  There's no religion, it's annoyance personified.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: March 19, 2010, 06:32:27 pm »

by the very definition of the concept
Which? I know the logical "exercise". It all hinges on this. Which definition specifically? That of Thomas of Aquina? The one from Augustine of Hippo?

I just said, 4 times, that all-powerful or omnipotence has multiple interpretations/definitions even within Christendom. Choose. I don't really care. Yes, if you choose the inifinite power, even over himself, then you get a paradox. Yay. Good for you. He still exists. So either your definition is incorrect, or she doesn't care about logic.  :)

Micro: If he can do anything within this universe, the theological nitpicking whether he can afflict himself and in what way is pretty useless knowledge to me. If you then try to apply a human concept, or if you really BELIEVE in it, a universal concept such as logic on it, you'll still fail, because even universal means: limited to this universe. Which God ain't.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: March 19, 2010, 06:35:01 pm »

Fine then, I beg of you to prove that an almost omnipotent God exists... ::)

Of course, you won't.  Doing such an activity would be a self destructive proof.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: March 19, 2010, 06:40:35 pm »

So what I get from the other camp is that they can decide what parts of the Bible to follow, or none of it.  God could have infinite power (omnipotence) or not.  And logic can be meaningless, or not.
Pick-and-choose from the bible is what every religion does, and what I do, we (re)interpret and emphasize certain parts all the time. Keeps one flexible. Some more than others.
Is there anything you adhere to or do you simply change the stance when it fits your mood, much like organized religion?
Not really, not "until death". I believe there is a God. The specifics of that God and my position have changed over time as I matured. My first one, for example, was: "I believe in God and when I meet him I'm gonna kick him in the nuts!"
How are you supposed to know what's right and wrong if you can claim God's will or just ignore it at will?
I do not claim to know Gods will. I can speculate, but know not. I know it exists, no speculation there. Logic is meaningless, until you give meaning to it. My right and wrong are within me, as they are in anyone else. Really, nobody actually takes right and wrong from a religion, or from a secular book of Law. Within us are the real rules and laws. We might pay lip service to the external laws, abide by them, tolerate them, and blame them if things go wrong, but the real right and wrong is in your heart.
How does religion stay alive if nobody knows the rules to live them by?
Because people like to be told what to do. Because they offer society/company/social safety nets. Because they offer answers to big questions. Because they offer relief when you feel sorrow. Because they care for the needy. Because they offer something absolute and steady to hold on to in a mercurial world.
You're just making it all up as you go along...  That's all there is to it.  Someone comes up to you and contests your belief and you change it.  There's no religion, it's annoyance personified.

Ok, now I don't get it.
If I don't change my belief, I'm being stubborn and unreasonable.
If I do, I'm being annoying and unreasonable.
What do you want?

The "proof of god" stuff was on page... 50 or something. I'll humour you so you won't have to read back: Define proof for me.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: March 19, 2010, 06:58:43 pm »

"All-powerful" is pretty clearly defined by the name: "All-powerful". I'm not sure how it can get any clearer.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: March 19, 2010, 07:07:59 pm »

A literary definition is not good enough in this case. For me, proof is seeing. So If your god wanted another follower, he could pop up in front of me and levitate this can right here and I'd start worshiping.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: March 19, 2010, 07:38:25 pm »

Holy balls, it's a quote wall incoming!!

Pick-and-choose from the bible is what every religion does, and what I do, we (re)interpret and emphasize certain parts all the time. Keeps one flexible. Some more than others.
So you're making it up by deciding what you feel like doing from a list and ignoring the rest.
I believe there is a God. The specifics of that God and my position have changed over time as I matured.
So you're making it up as you go along.
I do not claim to know Gods will. I can speculate, but know not. I know it exists, no speculation there.
You realize that contradicts itself?  You don't know what God wants of you, but you know God must exist.  How?
Logic is meaningless, until you give meaning to it.
God is meaningless until you give meaning to it.
Orange Juice is meaningless until you give meaning to it.
I can do this all day.
So what is God's meaning?  Didn't you just say you cannot know?  Oh, that was his will.  Without knowing his will, how can you know his meaning?
My right and wrong are within me, as they are in anyone else.
So you're making it all up because it feels good.
Really, nobody actually takes right and wrong from a religion, or from a secular book of Law. Within us are the real rules and laws.
So you're making it all up based on feeling good as well.
We might pay lip service to the external laws, abide by them, tolerate them, and blame them if things go wrong, but the real right and wrong is in your heart.
So what you are saying here is that the terrorists that flew he planes into the WTC were totally correct, because in your eyes laws are pointless, they were just kind of playing along until their hearts could finalize their beliefs.  According to you, as long as you belief hard enough, you will be eternally justified.  As long as you believe in something and you feel that it's right, then it is.  No contest.
Because people like to be told what to do.
Erm, no.  I can't think of a time when this has applied to my life.  You are a prime counter-example of this.  You are trying to tell people what to do rather than being told.  A prime example also included your own statement of inner belief in right and wrong.  You only like people telling you what to do if it also jibes with what you want to do.  Self gratification with the ability to blame someone else for making you do it.
Because they offer society/company/social safety nets.
So does joining a book club.  (How is religion a safety net?  You think there won't be charity without religion?)
Because they offer answers to big questions.
Who cares if the answers are founded in anything but stories.  As long as it makes you feel good.  Oh hell, there's that feel good thing again... isn't that a sin?  Not in your belief structure I assume.  You didn't have enough points in your game of "Pick a faith."  You should probably ask for more points next time or do what the rest of us are doing and give them all back.
Because they offer relief when you feel sorrow.
So does a pet, a girlfriend, a psychologist, a hobby... heck, I could even say revenge offers people a sense of relief along with sex, drugs, alcohol, money, throwing a party...
Because they care for the needy.
Again, who says charity is a religious only trait?
Because they offer something absolute and steady to hold on to in a mercurial world.
Something absolute and steady... who's whole belief structure will change when they find out God isn't hanging out in the clouds with his angels.  How can something be absolute and steady, and be supported by someone else if all your values come from your internal feelings?  And didn't you say that your belief structure changes over time as well?  How's that "steady" working out?
What do you want?
I want you to explain why you continue to argue that you cannot be wrong, but you can't define what's right.  (and why you're going to quote this and say: "What is right?" because you want to avoid the question.)
Define proof for me.
Proof is something you can give to anyone to confirm your belief.

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: March 19, 2010, 07:49:48 pm »

Brace yourself for a rant.

Siquo,

I think you're throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

It is perfectly fine to speculate about the universe and the nature of a potential higher being behind it. And yes, and here some from "my camp", i.e. atheists, in this thread might disagree, I think there are certain things such as meaning/purpose that cannot be derived from science, but they can be philosophized about, and yes, certain things are worthwhile discussing even if they are neither veri- nor falsifiable. And if you have a certain spirituality that gives you the feeling that there is a higher purpose behind all of this, then good for you.

However, all this is compatible with having your thoughts being guided by reason.

Why not pick the best of both worlds? One can never know absolute truth, but that does not mean one cannot use the limited tools we have at our disposal, the limited amount of rationality we have, to try and make sense of the world as best as we can. From your perspective, if that omnipotent being gave you a brain to reason about the world, why not use it? To use reason and evidence to learn about reality, even if we can never fully comprehend it, is to try to learn the rules of that world this being has created for you.

I can sympathize with your desire for spirituality, although your way is not my way. For me, it has been an ongoing epiphany that I can take reality at face value, as bleak as it may seem, and realize that it does not actually interfere with notions of 'good', 'meaning' or 'happiness'. I have over the years rejected the notion of god, rejected a special role for humanity, accepted that feelings and thoughts are, in one sense, nothing but chemical and physical processes, have accepted that there is no external justification of morality, and finally, rejected the notion of a self, of the reality of a continuous 'me' that would be at the core of my thoughts and at the centre of 'my' continuous existence.  And all of this was based on philosophical considerations (reason) and on what I know from being a scientist (evidence).

And after all of that, I can say that, for me, my view on meaning, ethics and life feels now as coherent and satisfying as never before.

Earlier, you said something like you changed your view about reality because you found your original view depressing. My approach is radically different. I'm a sucker for reality. And I can still find meaning. It is possible.

We both might say that one cannot truly know reality. But for me, that means to be sceptical about my perceptions of reality, to question my intuitions, to be pragmatic about what I can know and not know, to be modest. I put evidence over my intuitions exactly because I distrust my own limited mind. You, on the other hand, seem almost be willing to reject reality itself instead.

Now, I can accept your different viewpoint as such. However, what I cannot accept is ignorance that leads to suffering of others. Because, you see, in my world view, happiness and suffering are the only things that matter at all. If your rejection of reality would go so far as not arguing against that witches exist, then I cannot accept that.

Quote from: wikipedia
As of 2006, between 25,000 and 50,000 children in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo, had been accused of witchcraft and thrown out of their homes.[51] On April, 2008, Kinshasa, the police arrested 14 suspected victims (of penis snatching) and sorcerers accused of using black magic or witchcraft to steal (make disappear) or shrink men's penises to extort cash for cure, amid a wave of panic.[52] Arrests were made in an effort to avoid bloodshed seen in Ghana a decade ago, when 12 alleged penis snatchers were beaten to death by mobs.[53] It was reported on May 21, 2008 that in Kenya a mob had burnt to death at least 11 people accused of witchcraft.[54] In Tanzania in 2008, President Kikwete publicly condemned witchdoctors for killing albinos for their body parts which are thought to bring good luck. 25 albinos have been murdered since March 2007.[55] In the Meatu district of Tanzania, half of all murders are “witch-killings”.[42] In the Nigerian states of Akwa Ibom and Cross River about 15,000 children branded as witches and most of them end up abandoned and abused on the streets. In Gambia, about 1,000 people accused of being witches were locked in detention centers in March 2009 and forced to drink a dangerous hallucinogenic potion, human rights organization Amnesty International said.[56]

Good night!

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: March 19, 2010, 08:13:09 pm »

Not a rant at all, I think it was well put.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: March 19, 2010, 11:48:03 pm »

I'm a bit late, so I won't go into detail unless asked, but I think the seemingly infallible logic puzzle Neruz has placed forward has some flaws in it that still leaves it open to Theological debate.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 370