Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 393247 times)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #2490 on: March 19, 2010, 11:01:11 am »

Also, if i can't trust my senses, i can't trust anything and might as well just shoot myself. Except if i can't trust my senses i can't be sure that i actually just shot myself.
You can't trust your senses, just look at optical illusions. After that, can you trust your interpretations of your senses? That's no reason to shoot yourself, beliefs like that aren't worth dieing for.

@Areyar: Bring on those pitchforks!  ;D
Here comes the rant!
Omnipotence and randomness are not mutually exclusive. An omnipotent being could in one moment imagine an entire universe, or even multiverse, with everything in it, with a lifespan of many bilions of years, and every single particle in it. In that one single moment, the entire lifespan of that multiverse is determined and has come and gone. We are that imagination. The experience comes from the actual imagining. To everything in the multiverse (eg, Science), some events are random. But random, and even the notion of "event" only makes sense if you have a timeline. The Omnipotent cares about neither, being outside of time, and outside of that multiverse. He sees a painting where past and future are in one image.

Imagine we are on a progressing line, and at any moment that line can go up or down, randomly. For us it's random. The Omnipotent sees no progress, he sees the entire graph at once, but can imagine being on that line and going up or down and not knowing which way it will go at the same time. And we are that imagination.

Is everything predestined then? In a way, yes, but only if you have the "outside view". Which we don't, so for all practical purposes, the universe is not predestined and you do have free will.

Wow, thinking too much about the ramifications of omnipotence and being outside of time is mind-bending. Sorry if this was a bit incomprehensible.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: March 19, 2010, 01:25:26 pm »

Conservapedia.com your favorite site.
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: March 19, 2010, 01:47:08 pm »

What's with the anti-believer attitude, Huesoo? You've replied several times now, trying to offend or discredit me, but why?

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: March 19, 2010, 01:50:41 pm »

Not descredit you, youve already been descredited. Not offending, if your offended by petty insults then you have pretty bad self esteem issues. I just want you to stop making a fool of yourself. For your sake not mine. Just stop.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: March 19, 2010, 02:03:03 pm »

Huesoo, you're not helping. You're not helping anything, at all. And this is coming from someone who's disagreed with a fair amount of what Siquo has said. Cheap insults don't improve the situation.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: March 19, 2010, 02:12:25 pm »

I stopped insulting him, theres a difference between insulting and offending. Its just annoying.

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: March 19, 2010, 02:32:22 pm »

Yeah you're not being constructive.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: March 19, 2010, 02:33:59 pm »

Has being constructive every convinced anyone here of anything?
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: March 19, 2010, 02:49:37 pm »

Yes, it has convinced me several times to restate my assumptions. That people don't immediately convert to everything you believe doesn't mean your words don't have any impact. They do.

But I'm not really here to convince. I'm trying to get my beliefs shot down. Some died, others lived, the "good" ones will prevail.
Insults don't really work, plus that I never get why people have the urge to insult others. I mean, I like insulting people when it's all in good fun and we get to be creative ;D but the kinds of insults put forth by Huesoo are symptomatic of some deeper dislike of everything and everyone who believes in... what exactly? Why do you feel so strongly about this, Huesoo? And if you don't feel so strongly, why would you actually take the time to try to insult people?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: March 19, 2010, 02:51:47 pm »

People feeling strongly about things isn't the problem.

The problem is that if you feel strongly about something, that's all the more reason to act rationally and constructively about it, yet in reality it often causes people to do the exact opposite.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #2500 on: March 19, 2010, 02:53:15 pm »

Not offending, if your offended by petty insults then you have pretty bad self esteem issues

Like I said. I dont feel strongly about this, stop bringing emotion into this.

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: March 19, 2010, 02:59:18 pm »

Has being constructive every convinced anyone here of anything?

Do you think being offending will? At worst, neither will make a difference in terms of convincing people, but it will make a difference in terms of politeness and this thread being locked.

Let's not get into a silly argument about that as well.

Insults don't really work, plus that I never get why people have the urge to insult others. I mean, I like insulting people when it's all in good fun and we get to be creative ;D but the kinds of insults put forth by Huesoo are symptomatic of some deeper dislike of everything and everyone who believes in... what exactly? Why do you feel so strongly about this, Huesoo? And if you don't feel so strongly, why would you actually take the time to try to insult people?

Let's not get all psychological here, he's just being grumpy. Your viewpoint, Siquo, can be a little bit unnerving, but yeah there's no point in getting angry / impolite.

Huesoo, if you don't feel emotional about this, then even moreso you should be able to keep calm and polite.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: March 19, 2010, 03:20:28 pm »

I am, its just that this thread has fallen into a loop.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: March 19, 2010, 03:34:36 pm »

No, it hasn't, and I read it all. Various aspects of belief, religion, the (im)possibilities of omnipotence, validity and ideas, how ideas and beliefs impact your real world behaviour, how you behaviour impacts others and their beliefs, belief in science and how wrong that is (;)), belief in "nothing" versus belief in general...

I've been in this topic quite a while now and I can assure you there are very few loops.

Edit: Mafia-forum-game-experience made me meta: Huesoo is a part-time B12 troll. Now I'm faced with a dilemma: I shouldn't feed the trolls, but I also don't want to ignore people, as that can be a psychologically damaging thing to do.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 03:42:59 pm by Siquo »

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: March 19, 2010, 03:43:11 pm »

You post something then people put a rebutal. Thats the loop.
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 370