Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 393248 times)

Fooj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #2430 on: March 18, 2010, 05:57:13 pm »

Hmm, I find omnipotence less hard to swallow than some kind of super-powered alien. It's too... anthropomorphic.
Anthropomorphic super-powered alien makes more sense. You run into all sorts of logical problems and continuity problems otherwise.
Without omnipotence, God (as many see him) is fallible and therefore more realistically an alien race or non-existent.
The closest thing to God there is any evidence or solid reasoning to believe in is a fallible one. Sorry Siquo, but you should drop your standards of God a notch if you want to argue with people who want more tangible reasoning. In addition, I'd like to point out that the "fallible" God's existence is inevitable on that old argument that everything exists somewhere (the argument that implodes when you try it on omnipotence) if that would entice you. It's the closest solid ground you'll get on that subject.

Reasoning is empty rhetorics
That's theology, actually.
That's reasoning in general actually. Anything but the most basic of truths are stacked upon other conclusions which are all dependent on each other, and they do change which affects all the others connected to it. This is a huge problem in fields like mathematics.

You believe in whatever you want, you do not care what is true or false, real or unreal, right or wrong, you don't have or strive to have a coherent moral philosophy or world view, and you seem to be opposed to rational arguments on principle.
I think he's of the "there is no such thing as rational arguments" philosophy. Like I just said about with reasoning is always inherently flawed.

achieve the intellectual freedom of... what exactly is it anyway that you call your way of thinking?
I didn't catch yours.

If you're arguing about what the Qu'ran does and doesn't say, you already arguing about what people should believe! Whether the Qu'ran does or doesn't say it, some people believe that performing circumcision is the right thing to do. Again, how are you going to convince them otherwise without questioning their belief?

Again, how are you going to stop people from killing kids as witches if beliefs are not to be questioned and evidence is overrated?
Indeed. And I'll stop trying now, and recommend everyone else the same, because this is really quite pointless.
I think I just missed some argumentation over how religion makes people believe bad things are right? Just want to point out, the people you're talking about believed bad smells were pathogens. That excess puss (the symptom) was the cause of a disease. Doesn't necessarily have to do with religion. People want to know causation, but their chain for linking things isn't even a foot long. It's a psychology thing you see in any organism, causation by any association, even if false. So yes, there are a lot of incorrect beliefs about things coming from back when a meteor and a spaceship was the same as a flying flaming chariot.

no religion would have any member left.
You say that as if it would be a bad thing.... Then how about a reasoned debate? I'm trying, at least....
...With a lot of hostility.

...and on the same train of thought as before, I think that same association and causation fallacy happens a lot when discerning "good" and "bad" out of religions. Same with that other fallacy that one bad apple is enough to conclude that the whole barrel is bad or vice versa.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 06:04:32 pm by Fooj »

Fooj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: March 18, 2010, 06:17:18 pm »

Hey, is there a name for the way of thinking where you take ideas from other older beliefs and reason their validity from a modern perspective rather than the inherently flawed original perspective? Like "Omnipotent God" would be aliens playing God? To me it always seemed stupid not to. Like trying to argue about black holes with 18th century math, of course the concept is going to look really flawed and questionable. Waste of time to do that.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: March 18, 2010, 06:20:33 pm »

Neo-Bullshitism?

Fooj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: March 18, 2010, 06:24:39 pm »

Neo-Bullshitism?
I was being serious (and not-trollish) with that and wanted a serious (and not-trollish) answer. I know there's an approximate with an actual name. It probably does have "neo" in it.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 06:28:50 pm by Fooj »

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: March 18, 2010, 06:29:22 pm »

You believe in whatever you want, you do not care what is true or false, real or unreal, right or wrong, you don't have or strive to have a coherent moral philosophy or world view, and you seem to be opposed to rational arguments on principle.
I think he's of the "there is no such thing as rational arguments" philosophy. Like I just said about with reasoning is always inherently flawed.

It's one thing to say that fundamentally, theories can never be complete, truth can never be fully known, mathematics are incomplete, etc. It's another thing to be unwilling to disagree with someone who claims a kid is a flesh-eating demon.

If you're arguing about what the Qu'ran does and doesn't say, you already arguing about what people should believe! Whether the Qu'ran does or doesn't say it, some people believe that performing circumcision is the right thing to do. Again, how are you going to convince them otherwise without questioning their belief?

Again, how are you going to stop people from killing kids as witches if beliefs are not to be questioned and evidence is overrated?
I think I just missed some argumentation over how religion makes people believe bad things are right? Just want to point out, the people you're talking about believed bad smells were pathogens. That excess puss (the symptom) was the cause of a disease. Doesn't necessarily have to do with religion. People want to know causation, but their chain for linking things isn't even a foot long. It's a psychology thing you see in any organism, causation by any association, even if false. So yes, there are a lot of incorrect beliefs about things coming from back when a meteor and a spaceship was the same as a flying flaming chariot.

Where did I say "religion makes people believe bad things are right "? I don't think you were following the argument. I also don't understand what you're getting at with the rest of your paragraph. What people? Those performing circumcision, hand off hacking, or witch killing? And "back when"? That all still happens today! And "back when"... space ships... hu?

And yes, people like to come up with explanations for things, and often these explanations are wrong. So what?

You lost me.

Fooj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: March 18, 2010, 06:39:43 pm »

You lost me.
Tangent thoughts, nothing direct for you.

It's one thing to say that fundamentally, theories can never be complete, truth can never be fully known, mathematics are incomplete, etc. It's another thing to be unwilling to disagree with someone who claims a kid is a flesh-eating demon.
I don't think he agrees with someone making the demon claims either. I was just stating the philosophy I think he follows.

Where did I say "religion makes people believe bad things are right "? I don't think you were following the argument. I also don't understand what you're getting at with the rest of your paragraph. What people? Those performing circumcision, hand off hacking, or witch killing? And "back when"? That all still happens today! And "back when"... space ships... hu?
The:
Whether the Qu'ran does or doesn't say it, some people believe that performing circumcision is the right thing to do. Again, how are you going to convince them otherwise without questioning their belief?
which I quoted earlier and I guess the witch killing and hand hacking as well. You were arguing about how you can't reason with people's beliefs because they are beliefs. The examples you are arguing with/about are of religion making people believe in doing "bad" things. Then there's Sordid in here saying all religious people being dead wouldn't be a bad thing. So I went on a tangent about association and causation, assuming Sordid's reasoning for his opinion on dead religious people.

And "back when"? That all still happens today! And "back when"... space ships... hu?
Still happens today and it was the only thing that happened back in the eras where the religions in question originated.

Neo-Bullshitism?
And how is that bullshit anyway? Do you debate the validity of chemical reactions in alchemy?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 06:43:41 pm by Fooj »

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: March 18, 2010, 06:43:30 pm »

I'm unable to really follow what's going on anymore (how did we even get to this point of debate, anyways), but I just want to say:

Siquo: Fuck you. Science is the one and only truth, and is completely infallible, and I am as certain of that as I am certain that the Earth is surrounded by 55 crystal spheres which hold the stars.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: March 18, 2010, 06:45:22 pm »

Neo-Bullshitism?
I was being serious (and not-trollish) with that and wanted a serious (and not-trollish) answer. I know there's an approximate with an actual name. It probably does have "neo" in it.

So, I'm half-right  ;D

Fooj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: March 18, 2010, 06:57:08 pm »

'm unable to really follow what's going on anymore
Sorry, I've shoved my thoughts in now.

Siquo: Fuck you. Science is the one and only truth, and is completely infallible, and I am as certain of that as I am certain that the Earth is surrounded by 55 crystal spheres which hold the stars.
Okay, here again I'm pushed towards the idea that the approach on religion is wrong. Between Grakelin's oil and water thoughts to religious concepts and science and the general hostility that I always see crystallizing around the subject between people. I think the separation in the mind is mostly from the hostility surrounding it.

So, I'm half-right 
I'll tell you what's bullshit: arguing about chemistry in terms of alchemy. Same thing with arguing about some concepts in terms of books written by uneducated Philistines.

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: March 18, 2010, 06:59:16 pm »

I don't think he agrees with someone making the demon claims either. I was just stating the philosophy I think he follows.

It's not about him agreeing, it's about him not disagreeing.

You were arguing about how you can't reason with people's beliefs because they are beliefs.

You mean 'you' as in the two of us or me specifically? Because I am of the opinion that one can and should reason about beliefs... anyway.

Then there's Sordid in here saying all religious people being dead wouldn't be a bad thing.

He didn't say that.

I'm unable to really follow what's going on anymore (how did we even get to this point of debate, anyways), but I just want to say:

I'm not sure who you're trying to impersonate here, but I personally surely don't feel addressed. Also, you might want to defuse that a little bit, someone with mod power glancing over this might miss your attempt at sarcasm.

Anyway. Good night!

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: March 18, 2010, 07:07:17 pm »

confusing social tradition with religious tradition happens all the time.
It comes from interpretating texts or qoutes through a mindset alien to the originator of an idea. (or having disparate goals and intentionally misinterpreting)
Anyhow, given that religions are interpretations of revisions of translated ideas (and partial cosmological models etc),
fixating on one outdated interpretation is foolish. Most enlightened people are willing to take it al with a pinch of salt.

And they should: the current (outdated) religions were composed by ancient theorists, philosophers and other experts on religion together with the best scientific minds of the time. In those times cosmology was the realm of philosophers who were then considered like quantum physicists are today.
Somewhere scientists were forced out of the revision process as dogma became more important and revision became heresy.
My point is: at one point, religious cosmology was cutting edge science.
The fact that they are outdated is what causes the stress between science and fundamentalism, which does not want any change.  (usually they want to revert back to an idealized vision of the better, simpler times. ..maybe that is why they prefer rightwing parties poilitics too.)

edit: to use a creationist argument against them: religion is just a theory of the cosmos, it is outdated and proven wrong. Religion should leave cosmology to those that study the cosmos with more than navelfluff and stick to philosophical matters, such what is right and what is wrong. They should also stick to advising people should dpo and leave law and punishment to sectarian (eg impartial) law givers. I realize this constitutes picking and choosing; disregarding the falsifyable portions and accepting the often wise core of lifeviews and philosophical ideas.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 07:17:32 pm by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: March 18, 2010, 07:15:31 pm »

Saying "god bless you" when people sneeze is a good example of that.

It may not be exactly "god bless you", we say it as guublessyou

It comes from people used to believing that sneezing was you expelling evil spirits, thus saying "god bless you"

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: March 18, 2010, 07:20:21 pm »

It comes from people used to believing that sneezing was you expelling evil spirits, thus saying "god bless you"
It is "God bless you" or simply "bless you"... as if I need blessing.  Most people say thank you, I usually walk away.  It was just a sneeze.  No need to confound it.  ;)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: March 18, 2010, 07:55:13 pm »

It is "God bless you" or simply "bless you"... as if I need blessing.  Most people say thank you, I usually walk away.  It was just a sneeze.  No need to confound it.  ;)

My friend say Merry Sneezemess.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Fooj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: March 18, 2010, 11:19:44 pm »

religions were composed by ancient theorists, philosophers and other experts on religion together with the best scientific minds of the time. In those times cosmology was the realm of philosophers who were then considered like quantum physicists are today.
Somewhere scientists were forced out of the revision process as dogma became more important and revision became heresy.
I blame the Catholics. They controlled with illiteracy and squashing heresy.
My point is: at one point, religious cosmology was cutting edge science.
Was. The two have been permanently separated by the church's efforts to squash heresy, and now you can't even have them in the same room without quarrel between people.
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 370