Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 393437 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #2370 on: March 18, 2010, 04:12:53 am »

If you believe in centaurs, they're real to you

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: March 18, 2010, 04:14:34 am »

Why does Siquo want those in this debate to be emotionally invested in the discussion. Shouldn't one of the first step to objectively examining your own beliefs and opinion is to decouple your emotional investment from it? And to look other objective issues in a similar none emotional investment state. Badly worded.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: March 18, 2010, 04:17:47 am »

Why does Siquo want those in this debate to be emotionally invested in the discussion. Shouldn't one of the first step to objectively examining your own beliefs and opinion is to decouple your emotional investment from it? And to look other objective issues in a similar none emotional investment state. Badly worded.

If Siquo cuts his emotions out of the discussion then he has no support for his theory that some things are innately beyond comprehension; because, you see, he has absoultely no proof for this theory, just a feeling. His feelings, therefore, are vital to his point, if he removes them, his entire argument goes with them.

This is also why he is wrong.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: March 18, 2010, 04:32:28 am »

I don't care about being wrong. You seem to do. I merely state my beliefs, hoping that they inspire others to expand theirs, or that they can expand mine. I'm not about objectively examining your beliefs, since that is impossible (also see 50 pages back about Descartes). My feelings are benevolent, if anything.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: March 18, 2010, 04:35:25 am »

I don't care about being wrong.

You should, not only does being wrong make you look like a Grade A Retard but it will cause you to make decisions based on incorrect information, which could potentially have severe consequences.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2375 on: March 18, 2010, 04:39:06 am »

I don't care about being wrong. You seem to do. I merely state my beliefs, hoping that they inspire others to expand theirs, or that they can expand mine. I'm not about objectively examining your beliefs, since that is impossible (also see 50 pages back about Descartes). My feelings are benevolent, if anything.

This is so very alien for my world view (That Neruz hates! 8b (I didnt back off of that Neruz, just got interested with something else.)), as my world view to be the least wrong. I try my best to figure out my erroneous thoughts then correct them or drop them.

How can someone not care if they're wrong?

I mean are you okay with overpaying because you have mistaken the price of an item?

Are you also okay with taking a longer path to a destination when arrival time is relevant?

Do you just kinda just pop any sorta medication into you as being wrong is an okay stance to have?

If you had a racist thought that or a harmful thought you would be fine to carry on with it?

These questions are mostly rhetorical. Its just so very queer a stance to hold.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: March 18, 2010, 04:42:50 am »

Apparantly he'd also be fine if he decided one day that he could fly without mechanical assistance, since he doesn't mind being wrong. Watching him act on that erronious belief would be immensely entertaining however.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: March 18, 2010, 04:46:34 am »

Apparantly he'd also be fine if he decided one day that he could fly without mechanical assistance, since he doesn't mind being wrong. Watching him act on that erronious belief would be immensely entertaining however.

I'm a bastard for this, but I agree. Highly entertaining. Please upload to youtube.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: March 18, 2010, 04:48:28 am »

I'm a bastard for this, but I agree. Highly entertaining. Please upload to youtube.

The look on a person's face as reality unceremoniously dispels their personal illusions is always entertaining. It doesn't matter what you believe, reality always wins in the end.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: March 18, 2010, 04:49:49 am »

I don't care about being wrong in someone else's eyes because everyone thinks they are right and anyone who disagrees is wrong. Stating and/or "proving" again and again that your ideas are right and others are wrong is pointless, that is why I don't care about the right/wrong debate.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: March 18, 2010, 04:53:12 am »

I don't care about being wrong in someone else's eyes because everyone thinks they are right and anyone who disagrees is wrong. Stating and/or "proving" again and again that your ideas are right and others are wrong is pointless, that is why I don't care about the right/wrong debate.

How do you then tell which of your own thoughts are erroneous if its not through repeated debate and objective examination?

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: March 18, 2010, 04:54:54 am »

I don't know about you, but i'm pretty sure i can prove you're not a Unicorn beyond all reasonable doubt, given enough time and resources.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: March 18, 2010, 05:04:13 am »

Good question. I did alter my beliefs somewhat during this whole conversation, but based on what exactly, I don't know. But it's not about the right/wrong thing. It's through the "you see it that way, but I see it this way. Oh really I hadn't thought of that" debate that horizons can be expanded.

Neruz, you don't have that time or those resources. So the point is moot. I could say I could prove God exists given near unlimited time and resources, but I don't have them, so it's still a bluff.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: March 18, 2010, 05:07:09 am »

Well actually i do, i have the money needed to buy a plane ticket to wherever it is you live, and the mid-term break is coming up, during which i will have the time to travel to your place, look at you and determine then and there your unicornness.

I don't intend to, but it's quite possible; i have a clear and concise theory that will allow me to prove conclusively if you are a unicorn or not, given the right set of circumstances which are also clear and concise.

Do you have a clear and concise theory and set of circumstances under which you can prove the existence of God? Because otherwise all you have is a hypothesis, and those are a dime a dozen.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: March 18, 2010, 05:09:13 am »

Good question. I did alter my beliefs somewhat during this whole conversation, but based on what exactly, I don't know. But it's not about the right/wrong thing. It's through the "you see it that way, but I see it this way. Oh really I hadn't thought of that" debate that horizons can be expanded.

Neruz, you don't have that time or those resources. So the point is moot. I could say I could prove God exists given near unlimited time and resources, but I don't have them, so it's still a bluff.

I think I may agree with the Siquo on the unicorn part. Since unicorn don't exist, they can be anything. So you could define Siquo as a unicorn. Therefore a unicorn exists. The same thing applies for god in this case well (well for us atheist anyway).
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 370