Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 393417 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #2325 on: March 17, 2010, 06:16:43 am »

There's other reasons too. I cannot definitively prove that invisible aliens are not setting up a superweapon on the moon and will destroy the planet next Tuesday. If i should assume this is true then i'm going to spend the next few days partying and doing things that probably aren't entirely legal. This would be bad, since the likelihood of this actually occuring is exceedingly low, and i would therefore end up in jail and look really stupid when Tuesday rolls around and the world doesn't explo-

ERROR: CONNECTION TO CLIENT LOST

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: March 17, 2010, 06:20:06 am »

Well, what is not explainable by science?

Also, God, more pedopriests.
This again raises the question:
If God didn't stop them, did they do what God wanted?
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: March 17, 2010, 06:23:33 am »

Well, what is not explainable by science?

Invisible Undetectable Pink Unicorns that Eat Rainbows and Poop Butterflies.

They secretly control the world with their psychic powers, but temporarily cease to exist whenever someone tries to prove their existence.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: March 17, 2010, 06:49:47 am »

Let me rephrase that question.

What observable phenominon is not explained, and cannot be explained by science?

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: March 17, 2010, 07:16:16 am »

In theory, none.

Edit: in practice, things that happen only once. Such as acts of God. They are not reproducible, and so fall outside of the scope of science ;)

Also, Neruz, there's no such thing as Logic. There are many forms, systems, and subsets. Also, it is possible to create a rule within a logic system that states that everything that is unproven, and has no consequence, is true, although that might have implications on the soundness and completeness of the system. Logic is a set of languages, not a set of X commandments.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: March 17, 2010, 07:21:14 am »

IE, Logic is not a set of beliefs and comandments, but a tool that varies in use from culture to culture?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: March 17, 2010, 07:31:10 am »

Also, it is possible to create a rule within a logic system that states that everything that is unproven, and has no consequence, is true, although that might have implications on the soundness and completeness of the system.

ding
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: March 17, 2010, 07:34:08 am »

In theory, none.

Edit: in practice, things that happen only once. Such as acts of God. They are not reproducible, and so fall outside of the scope of science ;)

Also, Neruz, there's no such thing as Logic. There are many forms, systems, and subsets. Also, it is possible to create a rule within a logic system that states that everything that is unproven, and has no consequence, is true, although that might have implications on the soundness and completeness of the system. Logic is a set of languages, not a set of X commandments.

Oh, wow.
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: March 17, 2010, 07:40:20 am »

Let me rephrase that question.

What observable phenominon is not explained, and cannot be explained by science?

Well by definition if it's observable it can be experimented on and thus eventually deduced and explained.

'One Time' events pretty much aren't, they're just sufficiently rare and the cause sufficiently obscure that with current technology and knowledge they are unreproducable. But given sufficient time and resources there is no reason to assume that any part of Reality is intrinsically impossible to understand.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: March 17, 2010, 07:59:17 am »

But given unlimited time and resources there is no reason to assume that any part of Reality is intrinsically impossible to understand.

Fixed that for ya. Yet the universe is probably not unlimited, so no, one-time acts are not covered by science, and are yet observable. And they do exist, according to legend. The problem is that you'll never be able to "prove" they happened.

And what is that "ding"? Incomplete, unsound, invalid and/or inconsistent logic systems are used everywhere, and according to Godel, it is for instance impossible to have an arithemetic logic system that has all four of those characteristics. For starters, read and understand the entirety of this and make your inevitable and glorious come-back.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: March 17, 2010, 08:52:29 am »

But given unlimited time and resources there is no reason to assume that any part of Reality is intrinsically impossible to understand.

Fixed that for ya. Yet the universe is probably not unlimited, so no, one-time acts are not covered by science, and are yet observable. And they do exist, according to legend. The problem is that you'll never be able to "prove" they happened.
Actually, I fully think that the universe could be infinitely big and infinitely large.  Given that, there is the possibility that no one event has ever been unique.  I actually theorize that "light" has a lifetime, decay or attenuation... like what happens to your headlights on a dark night.  Since there's less to get in the way in space we see tremendous distances and we could be seeing the point at which light can no longer propagate.  In order to prove or disprove that we'd have to invent faster than light speed travel or a more accurate way to measure the distance to the furthest galaxies all around us.  If we end up smack in the middle, my theory could be worthy of review.  In a way, I guess this idea could be a possible support mechanism for your notion that things that can't be proven can also be true... but I'm not going to alter my life for such a theory.

I can't think of what you are referring to though.  What acts of God do you know of that have ever only happened once?  Literally everything recorded in the Bible has been explained (the great flood could have been a localized event [but it seemed like the world to those living there] like a great sea filling or something along those lines) or occurs on a regular basis (locust swarms, etc.)

For the record, the Bible is the only account of history I know that's been held up as truth in story (and legend, as you say... which is merely a fallible human account of an event.)  That's the only reason I use events from that book.  If you can think of another event, I'd be interested.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: March 17, 2010, 09:02:35 am »

Well, certain things from the bible have been "explained". Notice the quotation marks. Nothing was ever "proven".

Example: Assume that the bible is correct in a lot of places. Then Jesus walked on water. No human that we know of has ever done that since, without aid. Now you have several options:
- Wait for it to happen again, then study the event (small chance, good luck)
- Dismiss it as being untrue fantasies or lies (works, but will happen for ALL one-time events)
- Explain it using "knowledge they didn't have then". (only works in a few cases)

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: March 17, 2010, 09:37:44 am »

Could you show us the "certain things" that were "explained"? With credible citations of course.
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: March 17, 2010, 09:58:40 am »

The star above Jesus' birthplace being a rare constellation of planets, the red sea parting is an earthquake/a rare spring-ebb/entirely somewhere else, stuff like that.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: March 17, 2010, 10:00:18 am »

I'd find it rather hard to walk across a sea-bed when there is an earthquake going on.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 370