Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 393788 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #1995 on: November 02, 2009, 08:56:02 am »

Technically if he's Omnipotent it would be but a mere thought to make it so there are never any doubters.
Perhaps that's like trying to make a refreshing lemonade out of ones own sweat.

(Or maybe He's doing the equivalent of an experienced DF player running a fortress with all [RAW]s and Init options set to perfection, all the memory-peeking and -poking tools available, etc, and running a particular megaproject regime intended to work without the aid of any metalworking...  Micromanaged (perfectly) to the Nth degree, but would consider it against the spirit of the project to manufacture picks, etc, and will only make use of those that come in via normal trade and immigration...)

The "absent God" option is probably more likely (easier to resolve with one that is around at all and being omnipresent and omni-everything else along with that), or indeed the "fire and forget" one.  The one with the infinitely sized kitchen table with infinite amount of jam jars on it is probably my favourite (well... it's my analogy, so I suppose it ought to feature in the top ten, at least).

But if there is a Supreme Being, it appears He has His own reasons for not making me treat Him as effectively non-existent and getting on with my rather secular lifestyle.  Knowing that with a twitch of His little finger, this could all change according to His devine whim.  Retroactively, even!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: November 02, 2009, 09:37:50 pm »

Assuming a gods will is sacreligious, In the absence of a direct mandate from your god it is impossible to worship it...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Glacial Eidolon

• Bay Watcher
  • Member of the Elves' Parting Association (EPA)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: November 04, 2009, 10:50:12 pm »

Proof to be, to not;
We get old, problem not solved.
We die, question lives.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 02:36:02 pm by Glacial Eidolon »
I am perhaps the most successful troll ever because even though I do not troll others I troll myself successfully... and there are no rules against trolling yourself.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: March 07, 2010, 05:15:37 pm »

both views have their way, science dictates how we should view the physical world, religion offers the same thing for the spiritual world, and so far, there is not a thing in existance that can truly be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt to be true, unless you yourself can see it, feel it, or experience it. I've questioned my existance repeatedly and chronically, I cannot attest to the existance of the world, before, during, or after my life.
however I dislike both atheists and moderate religious peoples as they refuse(at least for the 'western' religions) to accept that the other exists when either side cannot justify the other.

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: March 07, 2010, 05:19:03 pm »

You scared me for a moment, I thought that the religion thread had grown giant overnight.
The great game of Warlocks!

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2000 on: March 07, 2010, 05:28:59 pm »

However, we've got a hip new thread, where people can debate atheism without the burden of knowing their argument has been used at least twice before, whereas people posting here have no excuse.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: March 07, 2010, 05:54:52 pm »

If Atheists and religious people accept that the other's beliefs were true, then they wouldn't be Atheists or religious people  :-\

And religions has been proven wrong over and over, even though they say it is the word of god. (not the actual religions, but what they say, like how the earth was the center of the world.)

I also recall seeing something on the discovery channel about how the bible was made up of chosen manuscripts, some of the earlier ones being kept out of it then being revised so they don't conflict each other.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: March 07, 2010, 06:04:21 pm »

1)  He said that the two groups should accept that eachother exists, not that the other is right.
2)  Nothing has been proven, there has simply been a lack of any way to test anything conclusively
3)  As a general rule you should take in things from the History or discovery channel with a grain of salt
4)  You sound an awful lot like you're just trying to troll an outraged reaction out of someone (declaring religion proven wrong, a fundamentally flawed statement as little concerning religion can be proven), as I'm fairly sure we've been over all this before with you in particular.  On this thread. 

Which, by the way, was necro'd for no reason, and now someone who hasn't seen it before will likely read the beginning where things went nasty and decide to put in their two cents - several times - before reading the whole thing, because it's so huge.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: March 07, 2010, 06:17:14 pm »

Like I said: Every argument here has been made before, here, so there's no reason not to pop over the the other thread about the exact same topic. Why in the world someone would necro this, I don't know.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: March 07, 2010, 06:19:20 pm »

Has it not been proven that the earth isn't at the center of the universe? That the sun doesn't revolve around the earth? And i did not say that religion was false, I said what they say god said is false. It is true religion may be impossible to prove or disprove, but as least all of the people claiming to have talked to god aren't really hearing god and it makes you wonder how much of religion is true.

I will clearly state my stance here. I don't believe any gods exist but I wish that a god(s) did.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: March 07, 2010, 06:27:56 pm »

I remember when the Discovery and History Channels used to be not shit. Now we have, NatGeo, Science channel and military channel for good sciency programs.

History International is okay.

Even the Bio Channel is shit.

I can't really trust their biography anymore, when they run them, as their edited to present a pleasant light it seems.

E True Hollywood Story seems to be more hard hitting, that just sad.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 06:29:58 pm by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: March 07, 2010, 06:43:21 pm »

Has it not been proven that the earth isn't at the center of the universe? That the sun doesn't revolve around the earth?
That right there is nitpicking at unimportant details - in particular, some that are not actually said to be fact by the Bible.  The whole earth as the center thing was philosophically deduced by church officials just because it made sense to them.  The logic goes:  We are the only things we know of that talk, build, etc.  We have this religion we believe made us.  Why wouldn't the Supreme creator not make the highlight of his creation in the center?  We've spoken of this before.

If you want to start claiming proof and what not, get up and do some research.  You will find nothing conclusive - people have been trying for ages to do so and come up with nothing so solid that it could be officially recognized by any reputable group.

To top that off, many portions of the bible are heavily debated within and between churches as to whether they are meant as an account of true events or as a story.  So trying to use any of them as "proof" against Christianity is an inherently flawed plan.  This, too, you have been told before.

My point here is that what you are doing, in insisting on these statements of yours, amounts to antagonization of religious Christians, whether you intend that or not.  It's pointless, irritates several, and you should give it a rest already.  I will say no more on this matter, and kindly ask that you do so as well.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 06:48:17 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: March 07, 2010, 07:15:07 pm »

I only know Christianity in-depth so I cannot say anything about other religions.

Nitpicking....Was Galileo being condemned as a heretic an unimportant detail? The pope thought it was important enough. I could probably look up dozens of these instances.

I know that I won't find anything conclusive, when you have a being that can do anything it wants  no matter what then there is always an excuse for everything. The world could end and you would still have people going "God has his reasons"

And there are thousands of things wrong with the bible. Some churches may debate about some things but that does not exclude everything in the bible as being debatable. That is just ridiculous. Like how the earth is flat and how humans all used to speak one language but were scattered everywhere and their languages confused.

I have also not been told any of this by anyone and assuming I have just because this topic has been going on for over 100 pages is wrong. I would like to see these posts where I was told that the bible is heavily debated between churches.

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: March 07, 2010, 07:38:03 pm »

It always struck me as odd that people still believe in god(s) in 2010... I mean, you can understand that in the middle ages, where almost everyone was illiterate and all, but now ?
This is a world where we can saw or think about things one trillionth our size, or trillion of times the size of our tallest buildings. We know almost everything on our world, from the way the human body works to how landscape evolves over time. And still, the majority of people actually believe that there is some mighty bearded man that created everything from scratch and that he's looking on us at this very moment. Granted, the number of religion people tend to decrease in educated countries (Northern and western Europe mainly), but that's still a bit depressing.

Now I just remembered that I'm on an American-dominated forum and I'm probably going to be bashed for what I said, but honestly, that's just what sprang to my mind when I read the last pages.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: March 07, 2010, 07:42:43 pm »

Like I said: Every argument here has been made before, here, so there's no reason not to pop over the the other thread about the exact same topic. Why in the world someone would necro this, I don't know.

This is going to be reposted over and over until this thread dies.  Do you people not understand?  There were over two thousand replies over it's six month original lifetime, and there's already another active thread right on the first page of General Discussion for talkin' 'bout Atheism.  Everything that could every possibly be said was already said in this thread months ago, and now there's a new conversation for you to repeat them in.

Stop posting here, seriously.  Subject matter aside, it's simply unnecessary.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 370