Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 392934 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #735 on: June 06, 2009, 01:47:16 am »

Oh no, grasshoppers!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: June 06, 2009, 02:15:32 am »

>.>

Crickets.

<.<
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: June 06, 2009, 02:52:25 am »

Exactly.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: June 06, 2009, 03:14:21 am »

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: June 06, 2009, 10:03:33 am »

So if nobody believes anything from the Bible is true, then why do people believe in God?
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: June 06, 2009, 10:14:37 am »

Because their mum taught them to.

Seriously, that's all there seems to be to it. Whenever I ask a believer for any kind of evidence pointing to God, they all resort to logical fallacies and massive intellectual dishonesty. Same with evidence for the truthfulness of the Bible. You just gotta have faith! :D
At least such is my experience so far. If there's a believer here who disagrees, I invite them to try and present their reasonable basis for belief in God.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: June 06, 2009, 10:30:35 am »

You guys remember the South Park episode about mormons and it's conclusion?

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: June 06, 2009, 10:44:34 am »

...nnnno, I don't think so. ???

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: June 06, 2009, 11:01:30 am »

You guys remember the South Park episode about mormons and it's conclusion?
This one?
http://www.southparkstudios.com/guide/712/

Edit:  Basically it says, "live and let live" at the end and ignore religious beliefs.  My problem with that attitude is that we can't ignore it.  We have God printed on our freaking money.  The state I live in's Motto is "With God all things are possible."  You can't avoid God.  It's like a disease with no cure spread by dumb people just as the cartoon states.  People that even know it's false still pass the story along because parts of it are good morals to follow, but they can't bring themselves to drop the parts that they feel are wrong... and I can't understand why.  The propagate lies to keep their kids scared and complacent.  That's the only explanation I have for it.  Like telling your kids that Santa is watching them to make them behave instead of telling the truth.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 11:13:20 am by Andir »
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: June 06, 2009, 11:10:19 am »

Yeah.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: June 06, 2009, 11:23:25 am »

Nah, I don't agree with that assessment. People drop stuff from the stories all the time, I've come to think that the reason they don't drop the God thing is because they're too lazy to devote even a modicum of thought to what they're saying. I really don't think it's all that difficult to realize that "because daddy says so" isn't a valid justification for any moral imperative. I wouldn't go so far as Hitchens and say that they want to be subservient slaves to a powerful master, but I can certainly see how one can get that impression.

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: June 06, 2009, 03:37:16 pm »

I think the reason people believe G-d exists is this:
"When I die, I will still live. Dying is a scary thought."

It's an incredibly powerful reason, you know. Most of you people seem to be thinking that the Judeo-Christian religions are the only ones that exist. Hindus believe in gods without the Bible because....they don't have a Bible!
Besides, a lot of religions are awesome. A few of note:
Hinduism-a pantheon of gods, many of which are semi-animals with many arms! Plus when you die, you come back as something/someone else based on your karma!
Buddhism-no gods, just spiritual enlightenment (nirvana). Reincarnate until you reach this point.
Shintoism-mystical spirits inhabit all things, and if you treat them well will give you luck, etc.
Atheistic Satanism- believe Satan is a symbol of human traits, not a deity. Focuses on empowering yourself to live a better life instead of preparing for a better afterlife.

Try and tell me you have anything against THESE religions. I'm pretty sure you only have problems with Judeo-Christians.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: June 06, 2009, 03:53:13 pm »

Because their mum taught them to.
Actually a good number of people have personal experiences or revelations. These people I consider to be truly religious.
If there's a believer here who disagrees, I invite them to try and present their reasonable basis for belief in God.
There is no reasonable basis besides
that one. Other than that, it is entirely a personal matter.

At least such is my experience so far.
My experience, just a trend I see, is a good number of the hardcore atheists (ranging from "kill all religious people to solve world violence" to "relentlessly destroy peoples faith and lives"/"don't leave anyone alone as if they're under threat of death") were originally taught religion by their mums and that was completely destroyed by another atheist. They don't exactly stop being religious the way I see it, just completely flip from one side of the spectrum to the other with the same intensity.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: June 06, 2009, 05:28:22 pm »

Actually a good number of people have personal experiences or revelations. These people I consider to be truly religious.

I've had experiences too, the trick is knowing that your brain is an unreliable chunk of meat that gets fooled real easy. ;)

There is no reasonable basis besides
that one. Other than that, it is entirely a personal matter.

That's not a reasonable basis, that's wishful thinking. Or in other words appeal to consequences fallacy, a proposition is desirable therefore it is true.

My experience, just a trend I see, is a good number of the hardcore atheists (ranging from "kill all religious people to solve world violence" to "relentlessly destroy peoples faith and lives"/"don't leave anyone alone as if they're under threat of death") were originally taught religion by their mums and that was completely destroyed by another atheist. They don't exactly stop being religious the way I see it, just completely flip from one side of the spectrum to the other with the same intensity.

I couldn't possibly comment, since I have no experience with that sort of thing myself and nobody around here takes their atheism at all seriously like that.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: June 06, 2009, 05:41:53 pm »

I just realized one day that it's impossible for someone to be "up there" and if there really was, I wouldn't worship them for making the world a brutally ugly place to live while throwing their hands in the air and saying, "Oh well!"

As far as "rebelling" against religion, I'm a firm wall.  I don't care about religious people as long as they don't care about me.  If they start throwing posters all over the place and on me that preach their religion as the truth, I throw proverbial bricks back.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 370