Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 392609 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #705 on: June 02, 2009, 07:41:01 pm »

Dwarf snapping a dude's arm off.  Quite obviously a fight.  Fights are pretty much universally recognized as such.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: June 02, 2009, 07:50:58 pm »

Dwarf snapping a dude's arm off.  Quite obviously a fight.  Fights are pretty much universally recognized as such.

Was it justified? Did he mean to do it? Does he deserve to die? What was the color o of the de armed dorf hair? Would it be examined as justified in a different cultural setting? Maybe it was a self defense maybe it was a brutal attack. Could someone be convince that it didn't happen?

Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: June 02, 2009, 09:41:35 pm »

Maybe it was a mating ritual, or a right of passages, I mean, what's the big deal? Everyone knows that arms grow back...

.+. = ..
..+.. = ....

Hello to you too.

I can get about three interpretations out of that, it wasn't until the third that I was correct...

Realistically, these are good examples that would be pretty convincing, but I would probably be more irritated at them than convinced... But even if god exists, it is no reason to worship it, or them. Anyone who abandons their own morality in favour of something that is so much greater than them that they cannot fully comprehend it, has abandoned morality for something that they do not understand. The lack of evidence to support its existence just takes it so far out of likelihood that it is getting silly...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: June 03, 2009, 02:26:39 am »

Worshipping God gives you power. I have the power to succeed in things using only the power of prayer. If I worship God and sacrifice enough goblins to him, I bet God will give me resistance to lightening.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: June 03, 2009, 04:56:55 am »

Worshipping God gives you power. I have the power to succeed in things using only the power of prayer. If I worship God and sacrifice enough goblins to him, I bet God will give me resistance to lightening.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: June 03, 2009, 04:17:08 pm »

So I was thinking of the ole question of what would change your mind about god.

I came down to two things, that though wouldn't change my mind to holy fuck yes there a god, but probably shift me from de facto atheist.

A data sheet that can't be misinterpreted, be it book, movie, play. What ever language it was translated into, it would be perfectly translated by whoever did the translation. Even if you play alta vista babel fish telephone, it will always be the same. All backgrounds, all parts of the world would read this information the same and come away with the same thing.
You can throw in some science truth in there too.

The other is a viable animal that has no genetic materiel.

What would connivence the other none delusional? 
I would be convinced by millions of things.

1.  The stars are realligned tommorow to spell "god is here".
2.  God comes down from the heavens and starts smiting people.
3.  If I can see or measure anything that even remotely suggests a god.
4.  If I am able to perform amazing miracles myself, due to someone else (this is crucial.  Seeing other people doing them isn't good enough.  David Copperfield can perform "miracles".

All of these things are easily within god's infinite power, and they would convince almost anyone of the existance of a god.  So why doesn't He do it?

Even if I were somehow convinced of the existance of Yahweh and Jesus, then I see no reason to worship them.  Both are simply threatening me with violence to worship them, and I feel that I would not want to compromise my morals just to suit these two (or one, I don't care) bigots.  Believers talk of atheists having to beg for forgiveness from god, but what kind of sick, twisted, non dwarven being forces people to beg for their own souls just for using their logic?

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: June 03, 2009, 05:38:09 pm »

Edit:  Never mind, you two probably can't even keep different religions straight.  All I'll say is that anyone who thinks Jesus a bigot has only heard about him from hearsay.  From faux-Christians.  And is probably a bigot himself for claiming religious people are immoral.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 05:40:58 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: June 03, 2009, 05:44:56 pm »

Everyone is entitled to their opinions. The method by which we judge the qualities of a person is something internal, not external. According to Leafsnail's personal morality, Jesus is a bigot. It is a relative thing, and you cannot claim that he is wrong, because he is only wrong according to your morality.
!!&!!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: June 03, 2009, 05:48:54 pm »

He largely preached morality and never called people names for not being Christian.  The term "bigot" is not defined by personal morality but one's status as a bigot is determined by their prejudices.  If you are heavily prejudiced (for example, calling all Christians immoral), then you are a bigot.
Just so I remember

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: June 03, 2009, 05:50:31 pm »

Would I be a bigot for calling all Nazi's immoral?
!!&!!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: June 03, 2009, 05:52:44 pm »

Would I be a bigot for calling all Nazi's immoral?
Yes.

Sweeping statements are bad in practice.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: June 03, 2009, 05:55:58 pm »

Bigotry would be calling all Germans from the WWII period murderous bastards.  It's just not true.  Most Germans didn't even know that the Holocaust was happening, and most of them only joined the Nazi party because a) it was the only political party allowed at the time, and b) you really weren't able to get any good jobs if you weren't a member.  Nazism was immoral, but there was little choice.  Different situation entirely.
Just so I remember

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: June 03, 2009, 05:58:41 pm »

You're both confusing the statement. I'm not saying anyone who claims to be a nazi is immoral.

Anyone who willingly, knowingly accepts the concept of Nazism as True and Right is, in my definition of Morality, immoral.

Is it a bigoted, sweeping statement? Yes. But is it wrong? How can it be?

Not all ideas are equally deserving of respect. If it makes me a bigot to claim that anyone who accepts Nazism, knowing full well all it entails, is immoral, then I am a bigot.
!!&!!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: June 03, 2009, 06:04:12 pm »

You're both confusing the statement. I'm not saying anyone who claims to be a nazi is immoral.

Anyone who willingly, knowingly accepts the concept of Nazism as True and Right is, in my definition of Morality, immoral.

Is it a bigoted, sweeping statement? Yes. But is it wrong? How can it be?

Not all ideas are equally deserving of respect. If it makes me a bigot to claim that anyone who accepts Nazism, knowing full well all it entails, is immoral, then I am a bigot.
If it's true, then it's not prejudice.  Prejudice is based on an altered view of how things are.  Then it is not bigotry.  It's also not a very sweeping statement, because it narrows down on a very specific (and I might mention very small) group.
Just so I remember

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: June 03, 2009, 06:48:49 pm »

If morality is tied to bigotry and morality is relative... ipso facto, bigotry is relative. ;D
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 370