Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 392397 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #525 on: May 14, 2009, 05:19:06 pm »

True believer on either end can't be swayed easily. Fantastic you realize that, most don't hold a fundamental level of belief.  Sorta of cynical to think that. Sorta cynical to think that any atheist, speaking in the atheist thread, where they were invited to speak, is militant.

However, I hate this idea that everyone mind is already made up from, what seems like from birth and no one ever has never had their mind changed on anything.

I mean, not only is it wrong. But what sorta light does this place human in? Not a terribly positive one. Fuck sakes man, have some self respect for your own genus.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: May 14, 2009, 05:24:02 pm »

Its sophomoric just because the height of its dicussion has been acheived by just about everyone. Yeah, it was a big deal, the argument between Atheism and Theism back in the ole daye's O' Yore. But look. It ain't the olde dayes o' yore anymore.

Or is it? Seeing as humanity still hasn't managed to outgrow these silly superstitions I'm not so sure. Personally I find it embarrassing that mankind still believes in gods in this day and age.

Everything that could and can be said about the subject, has been said, yet there is no solution or solid statement can can dislodge a fundamentalist from their standpoint and there is no wacky analogy about quantum particles or thought experiments that can deter a militant atheist from their belief either. It all boils down to "PROVE IT! HA! YOU CAN'T PROVE IT!!" and "OH WELL, SEE YOU IN HELL, PAGAN!!"

Just because something has been said doesn't mean it's not worth repeating. Saying something once is worthless, and there are still plenty of people who obviously haven't thought about the arguments at all.

Just agree to disagree, and I know this is just a stupid obscure video game forum and thats why I hate seeing this on my GODDAMN NEW REPLIES LIST when I want to talk about Dwarf Fortress or Liberal Crime Squad. I did'nt reply for like, 3 months and was shocked and awed that it was still here and wasn't locked by Toady or died from lack of interest.

And after seeing this topic still alive and well, what did you do? Did you think "oh, well perhaps it is a big deal after all"? No, you came here and started squealing about how it's irrelevant and a thing of the past, etc, and that we should stop it to make you feel better. Instead of accepting the fact that there are people interested in this issue you berate us for not conforming to your worldview.
Want to talk about DF? Then go ahead, who's stopping you?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: May 14, 2009, 05:30:45 pm »

I AM!

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: May 14, 2009, 05:45:20 pm »

Yeah it is kinda silly people believe in strange things, but you will be hard-pressed to convince that guy his "lucky rabbit's foot" isn't lucky. You could drone on and on about how its just a peice of dead animal on his keychain and it can't effect anything, he will cite 500 things he swears his lucky rabbit's foot is responsible for.

See? You are arguing against a mad-man. Just like you argue against anybody that believes in a deity. Insane, illogical people believe in ridicuous shit. You cannot convince them otherwise, with any sort of logic, fallacious or not. It is a pointless endeavour.

Yes, you are perfectly suited to bitch about theists in an "atheists" thread, it doesn't mean you are really justified in beating a long-dead horse. I'am genuinely posting in a thread with an atheist label and I'm here bitching about how this thread should just fucking die already...

Yeah, there is a point where enough is enough, and repeating what has been said again and again and again is not going to win you that doctorate's thesis...

I'm posting here because this thread has been here for FUCKING FOREVER and I want to derail/ unthread/ exhaust this thread, because I think the topic is trite and it should stop. I'm not "oppressing U dawg" I just think the topic of religion and atheism has been done to death, especially on internet forums. Its such a... gosh I used all terms for it. Its done. To death. Its not worth talking about if you have talked about it more then once. Its sophomoric, its something 14 year olds talk about in debate class. Its something every guy on 4chan or whatever goes on and ON and ON about.

Its not worth talking about. Its not that you all suck at talking about it, its not that you do not have valid, coherant points about it, its not that you are ignorant about theology or science its, just... that the subject matter sucks, and its not worth keeping a thread on my GODDAMN NEW REPLIES LIST.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 06:11:08 pm by Guy Montag »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: May 14, 2009, 06:01:02 pm »

So I was watching the Atheist Experience on da youtube. It was covering on the absurdities of prayer. Anybody else catch that one, what cha think about it?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: May 14, 2009, 06:01:24 pm »

Yeah it is kinda silly people believe in strange things, but you will be hard-pressed to convince that guy his "luck rabbit's foot" isn't lucky. You could drone on and on about how its just a peice of dead animal on his keychain and it can't effect anything, he will cite 500 things he swears his lucky rabbit's foot is responsible for.

See? You are arguing against a mad-man. Just like you argue against anybody that believes in a deity. Insane, illogical people believing in ridicuous shit. You cannot convince them otherwise, with any sort of logic, fallacious or not. It is a pointless endeavour.

Yes, because nobody's opinions or beliefs are ever swayed or changed, ever.

Except for all the examples seen by myself and probably everyone here but you.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #531 on: May 14, 2009, 06:08:21 pm »

I would advise people to treat each other with respect if they want to post in this topic, or on this board at all.  I'm getting tired of coming back here.  People complained previously that I was locking too many discussion threads.  The alternative is warnings for specific people, followed by mutes and then bans.  It's easy to just not be a dickhead when you are having a discussion.  If it helps to pretend you are actually talking to a real person, because that's what you are doing, then please do that.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: May 14, 2009, 06:16:15 pm »

I apologize Toady man... the topic of discussion I think, elicits stronger then ususal responses and I think all the participant's in this discussion are really more mature then one would thin considering the subject matter.

I don't think anybody here is really trying to create a shit-storm or flame-fest or whatever. Its a touchy, sensitive, dumb, pointless matter between *several* groups of people that I think share roughly the same ideas, we just talk like we do not.

I don't think I've disrespected anybody and I a strive to not disrespect anybody else. I don't take other people's words very hard, myself, at all and I don't expect people to be too sensitive to the ideas myself or others might present.

People can be dicks to each other, especially on the internet, you know, but we come with the expectation and we react in the same. This is a thread FULL of dickheads, man, do not let the banter and bullshit here make you think these guys are 1000% shitposters or whatever.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 06:38:26 pm by Guy Montag »

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: May 14, 2009, 06:34:14 pm »

@ Toady: I also apologize if that was aimed at me. Yeah, what GM said.

Yeah it is kinda silly people believe in strange things, but you will be hard-pressed to convince that guy his "lucky rabbit's foot" isn't lucky. You could drone on and on about how its just a peice of dead animal on his keychain and it can't effect anything, he will cite 500 things he swears his lucky rabbit's foot is responsible for.

See? You are arguing against a mad-man. Just like you argue against anybody that believes in a deity. Insane, illogical people believe in ridicuous shit. You cannot convince them otherwise, with any sort of logic, fallacious or not. It is a pointless endeavour.

Well yeah, as Steve of the SGU likes to say, everybody has a sacred cow. I'm sure I have a few of my own as well, even though I try my best not to.
But I'm not arguing to convince anybody, I'm not on some grand crusade to rid the world of religion and rabbit feet. I couln't care less what a bunch of anonymous strangers I know only by their online handles think. I think that's a healthy attitude to have on the internet, btw, makes it very hard to be offended. As far as I can tell, "I'm offended" is shorthand for "I care too much about things that aren't any of my business". Really, getting offended doesn't show one's superior moral qualities, the only thing it shows is smug arrogance and the expectation that the world will conform to that person's sensibilities.
Anyway! Like I said earlier, I like discussing religion and atheism because I find it entertaining, so I don't really care that I won't convince anybody (and I'm not convinced of that either).

Its not worth talking about. Its not that you all suck at talking about it, its not that you do not have valid, coherant points about it, its not that you are ignorant about theology or science its, just... that the subject matter sucks, and its not worth keeping a thread on my GODDAMN NEW REPLIES LIST.

You do realize I keep posting here to reply to what you post here, right? ;D

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: May 14, 2009, 06:59:46 pm »

Bleh.

Religion and lack there-of just seems so banal and boring. Why is it such a big deal? Its people doing what people do... Believe in whatever you like, just do your job and don't kill me in the process. Why is it such a problem?

I keep posting here because it KEEPS SHOWING UP ON MY GODDAMN NEW REPLIES LIST.

Well, Nah, I'm currently bored out of my mind and I remembered this forum and ended up bitching about this thread which I wish would end. I want the "Urist Salvdangers: The Dwarven Pol Pot" to update and I am thrilled about the new LCS update.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: May 14, 2009, 07:08:26 pm »

Bleh.

Religion and lack there-of just seems so banal and boring. Why is it such a big deal? Its people doing what people do... Believe in whatever you like, just do your job and don't kill me in the process. Why is it such a problem?

See that the thing, the environment that lets beliefs with lack o' evidence allows for the beliefs with lack 'o evidence to go on.

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: May 14, 2009, 07:29:00 pm »

See there, Mr.Wiggles? You sounded just like a fundamentalist preacher there.

Mr. Wiggles: See that the thing that THING... the environment!

Audience: *screams with joy*

Mr. Wiggles: Now wait a minute... that lets beliefs with lack o' evidence allows... for the beliefs with lack 'o evidence to go on!... Praise the Lord!

Audience: *sound of 6000 people screaming 'yeaaah!'*

I'm telling ya, there isn't much difference between a militant fundamentalist and a militant atheist....

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: May 14, 2009, 07:35:08 pm »

Guy Montag, your entire reason for posting here appears thus:  "I don't like this discussion, so I demand you all shut up.  I don't care that all of you think it's worth discussing, because my opinion is more important."

Given that Toady is the admin, perhaps you should ask him to find a way to keep this off your "new replies" list rather than tell everyone off.  He'd probably have to remove all your posts from this thread to do so, but if you don't give a damn about the discussion anymore, who cares, right?

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: May 14, 2009, 07:46:22 pm »

Guy Montag, your entire reason for posting here appears thus:  "I don't like this discussion, so I demand you all shut up.  I don't care that all of you think it's worth discussing, because my opinion is more important."

Given that Toady is the admin, perhaps you should ask him to find a way to keep this off your "new replies" list rather than tell everyone off.  He'd probably have to remove all your posts from this thread to do so, but if you don't give a damn about the discussion anymore, who cares, right?

Yeah, I responded to the thread because I absolutely hated seeing the post on my "new replies" list then I responded, and kinda got into the vibe and just started spurting out my ideas on how much I hate people's ideas on religion and why I think everyone here is tragically wrong about it.

This has only been going on for like... the last 4 hours which might suggest I'm either just wicked drunk and looking to provoke people... or more realistically, just plain feeling like contributing a disscussion-ending branch to the already heated discussion going on about a subject I think is a pointless area of discussion.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: May 14, 2009, 07:50:33 pm »

See there, Mr.Wiggles? You sounded just like a fundamentalist preacher there.

Mr. Wiggles: See that the thing that THING... the environment!

Audience: *screams with joy*

Mr. Wiggles: Now wait a minute... that lets beliefs with lack o' evidence allows... for the beliefs with lack 'o evidence to go on!... Praise the Lord!

Audience: *sound of 6000 people screaming 'yeaaah!'*

I'm telling ya, there isn't much difference between a militant fundamentalist and a militant atheist....

Its not a true statement?
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 370