Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 346 347 [348] 349 350 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 391331 times)

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #5205 on: October 14, 2010, 05:20:32 pm »

Nihilistic gods?

I like it
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #5206 on: October 14, 2010, 05:25:34 pm »

Nihilistic gods?

I like it
Not Nihilistic, neutral. Basically, they're like... a force of nature.

Is there even a religion based off that?
Yes, many.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5207 on: October 14, 2010, 05:28:01 pm »

Is anybody else reminded of Epicurus's (in?)famous quote? (The one with If God is able/willing)
For those who don't know what he's typing about, it's this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5208 on: October 14, 2010, 05:28:16 pm »

Neutral implies that there are things that are good and evil, ruining the point of saying that the gods are not to be pigeon holed into red and white colored boxes.

Read this
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5209 on: October 14, 2010, 05:29:28 pm »

So, an uncaring God that does not give humans any more attention than any other part of the universe, but still causes random and unlikely events?

God is Probability?
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5210 on: October 14, 2010, 05:30:37 pm »

We call Probability God.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5211 on: October 14, 2010, 05:31:25 pm »

Maybe he just has a remarkable fondness for parasitic worms?

That would be so great.

I can see in like twenty thousand years He comes down to earth and says "Behold my Dracunculiasis children! I have come back!

Wtf dudes. Why are the monkeys walking around in cities?"

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5212 on: October 14, 2010, 05:36:04 pm »

God is one hell of a shape shifter.  It seems that he can mysteriously become anything.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5213 on: October 14, 2010, 05:38:59 pm »

Even a talking monkey?

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5214 on: October 14, 2010, 05:40:26 pm »

With Epicurus, what God exactly is he referring to? Christianity would come a few hundred years later, leaving Judaism with the only monotheistic God. Classical Greek gods were most definitely malevolent and/or unable, but that quote is singular, so I am led to believe that he is referring to the concept of any sort of divine being?
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5215 on: October 14, 2010, 05:41:17 pm »

Yep, just the concept itself.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5216 on: October 14, 2010, 05:53:08 pm »

That must have made him reeaally popular.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5217 on: October 14, 2010, 06:00:50 pm »

With Epicurus, what God exactly is he referring to? Christianity would come a few hundred years later, leaving Judaism with the only monotheistic God. Classical Greek gods were most definitely malevolent and/or unable, but that quote is singular, so I am led to believe that he is referring to the concept of any sort of divine being?

You act like Monotheism is new. While the classical greeks had a polytheistic religion, the intellectuals and philosophers generally didn't practice such things, and in addition, there were a variety of religions that cropped up around the Mediterranean for ages, including Monotheistic ones. Think Persian Zoroastrianism. Greece and Classical Persia mingled a lot, particularly under the conquests of Alexander the Great. In any case, Epicurus was not arguing that there is no God. Everything scholars know about him indicates instead that his arguments were illustrations that, any Gods that do exist simply do not care about us, as they by nature are far too alien and advanced for human comprehension.

He felt that it was no accident that the morality of the Gods was always the morality of the majority of the people who believe in them at any given time, shifting to accommodate the people. His argument was against any kind of god that is so conveniently similar to us.
!!&!!

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #5218 on: October 14, 2010, 06:14:29 pm »

If he wants to keep the population down, then just smite cities or flood the world again. None of this passive-aggressive "Planet trying to kill you" crap.

I would also be okay with an ever-expanding plane for a planet instead of a sphere.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5219 on: October 14, 2010, 06:15:40 pm »

I would also be okay with an ever-expanding plane for a planet instead of a sphere.

Why not an ever-expanding sphere?  Have your cake and eat it, too!
Pages: 1 ... 346 347 [348] 349 350 ... 370