Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 391656 times)

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #4830 on: October 06, 2010, 09:07:01 am »

Smaller and smaller circles. This argument makes me HNNNNNNNNNGH
The argument makes you make a grunting sound that some people make when they're taking a dump?

Yes. Or a heart attack.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4831 on: October 06, 2010, 09:07:57 am »

Oh, shoot! I just remembered I was going to stay away from this thread.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #4832 on: October 06, 2010, 09:09:35 am »

The thread is a curse, man. A curse.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4833 on: October 06, 2010, 09:09:56 am »

Oh, shoot! I just remembered I was going to stay away from this thread.
Too late now.

One of us! One of us! You cannot resist the atheist thread hivemind!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 09:14:01 am by Medicine Man »

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4834 on: October 06, 2010, 09:17:21 am »

And that is why I shouldn't try to explain my beliefs anymore :)

On to something else, I just ran into this, you atheists could use it:
Spoiler: Huge Image With Gods (click to show/hide)
I liked it, for its originality.

Also, Il Palazzo, boiling water sometimes explodes. ;)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4835 on: October 06, 2010, 09:19:10 am »

No, it's God's punishment for our sins.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #4836 on: October 06, 2010, 09:20:21 am »

No, it's God's punishment for our sins.
Or it is Sin's punishment for our gods. :O

The funny thing is that "knowing" how light functions, what if some situation caused it to function not as expected, and someone looking in the mirror ceased to see themselves? That person would be clawing, hissing, and screaming at the mirror.

It actually doesn't need one to understand how light works, merely that the thing in the mirror is in some way related to me. You don't need to know how it works, merely that in your experience, it works a certain way; ie: showing what is in front of it. Hence the numerous horror stories/folk tales/comedy routines about a mirror image showing that which is not in front of it. People ascribed mirrors as being magical, or at least having some magical aspect to them, for much of history. Even children today ascribe a certain magic to mirrors; most of us have probably heard variations on the classic "say 'x' 'Y' number of times and do motion 'z' and 'a' will appear from the mirror and kill you."
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 09:29:26 am by alway »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4837 on: October 06, 2010, 09:50:32 am »

I would just think I was a vampire, and do the capeface thing. Blah!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4838 on: October 06, 2010, 10:53:45 am »

I know how science works, but I personally question the merits of science in search of truth.

That is: even if science disproves something, I can still comfortably believe that it's true, as I don't believe the concept of "disproven according to scientific principle" holds any measure of any definition of truth beyond the scope of the scientific model the disproof was created in. Science is internally correct (as are most nonsensical beliefs, btw) but holds no real value externally, for me.
He says while typing at a computer...?

On to something else, I just ran into this, you atheists could use it:
Spoiler: Huge Image With Gods (click to show/hide)
I liked it, for its originality.
Uh... that's a pro-atheist argument.  It was in the God Delusion.

And you can't contend to believe in all of them.  Many of them (including Yahweh) are mutually exclusive with all the others.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4839 on: October 06, 2010, 11:04:06 am »

And you can't seriously contend to believe in all of them.  Many of them (including Yahweh) are mutually exclusive with all the others.

Fixed.

Remember, you're responding to someone fond of outlandish claims (contradictory, semantic, or otherwise).  He is either insane, a troll, stoned, or likes to show off how different he is from the mindless sheep who apply reason and critical thought to new ideas.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4840 on: October 06, 2010, 11:21:52 am »

And you can't seriously contend to believe in all of them.  Many of them (including Yahweh) are mutually exclusive with all the others.

Fixed.

Remember, you're responding to someone fond of outlandish claims (contradictory, semantic, or otherwise).  He is either insane, a troll, stoned, or likes to show off pretend how different he is from the mindless sheep who apply reason and critical thought to new ideas.
FTFY
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4841 on: October 06, 2010, 12:07:35 pm »

Remember, you're responding to someone fond of outlandish claims (contradictory, semantic, or otherwise).  He is either insane, a troll, stoned, or likes to show off how different he is from the mindless sheep who apply reason and critical thought to new ideas.

Oh he's clearly a troll, after all:

And that is why I shouldn't try to explain my beliefs anymore :)

Not that you ever did. Feel free to mention even one hypothesis the scientific, and note that I didn't bring up scientific but as you did or some unknown reason why not limit it, community has proved to be false that you still believe in? I doubt you can.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4842 on: October 06, 2010, 12:55:52 pm »

I know how science works, but I personally question the merits of science in search of truth.

That is: even if science disproves something, I can still comfortably believe that it's true, as I don't believe the concept of "disproven according to scientific principle" holds any measure of any definition of truth beyond the scope of the scientific model the disproof was created in. Science is internally correct (as are most nonsensical beliefs, btw) but holds no real value externally, for me. The experience that science does "get things done" is, to me, equivalent to the statement that "prayer sometimes works", just a lot more frequent :)
The scientific principle is the process of formulating a concept, predicting it's implications and then verifying that no situations exist in which that concept does not hold. If there is no merit in constructively analyzing a concept to verify it's truth, then I would argue that you're asserting there's no way we would be able to know the truth. That's a fine stance, but in such a case, one would have to draw the eventual conclusion that there is no value in the real truth and that we should instead be focusing on that which works. In essence you're staring yourself blind on an intangible concept of truth.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #4843 on: October 06, 2010, 12:58:13 pm »

*pokes the thread with a ten foot pole*

There! I'll collect dare money now. Pay up!
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #4844 on: October 06, 2010, 01:10:03 pm »

Ouch!!! Not cool man, I was in the thread while you poked it.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.
Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 370