Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 295 296 [297] 298 299 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 391326 times)

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #4440 on: September 28, 2010, 07:44:00 pm »

Was she part of a random crowd, or was she part of a specific 'singing/cheering' squad?
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4441 on: September 28, 2010, 07:46:04 pm »

She was on the basketball team.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4442 on: September 28, 2010, 07:48:32 pm »

There's a footballer who plays for England who makes a point of never singing the national anthem ("God save our gracious Queen"... what a first line).  He doesn't even lipsynch, but it's not like he's banned from playing...

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4443 on: September 28, 2010, 07:49:27 pm »

She was just silly. If you can't or don't want to sing, mime.

Points for personal strength, but penalty for not thinking ahead.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4444 on: September 28, 2010, 07:57:20 pm »

Miming it is even worse, IMHO.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4445 on: September 28, 2010, 08:01:44 pm »

Clarification: Only mime if there are enough people and/or acoustic variables to let you get away with it.

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4446 on: September 28, 2010, 08:02:24 pm »

"God" *points at self* "Keep" *holds hands together* "Our Land" *spreads out hands*

;)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4447 on: September 28, 2010, 08:03:12 pm »

You're missing the point. She's an atheist, so joining the the teams prayer circle goes against what she believes. As such, she silently stayed out of both that and the national anthem that reffers to god. The school then promptly suspended her and then accused her of thefts and death threats that never happened when her parents complained about the school's gross violation of the First Amendment.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4448 on: September 28, 2010, 08:07:51 pm »

...you do realize that this makes you the main character from Unbreakable, right?

I've never seen that movie, but I know this: Bruce Willis is way cooler than I could ever be.

No, see, my bones are hard to break all the way through, but they are susceptible to microfracturing. About once every six months, my L4 vertebra cracks almost all the way around, because I refuse to sit in a wheelchair for the rest of my life. Also, spinning kicks tend to be rather hard on my plant (left) leg, so I do my best not to use them unless they're part of a kata (which they usually aren't.)

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4449 on: September 28, 2010, 08:08:40 pm »

Believing in something that has no logic to it must be a catalyst to insanity.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4450 on: September 28, 2010, 08:10:55 pm »

For some reason, that reminds me:

Why don't people who claim that they can fly ever start from the ground?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4451 on: September 28, 2010, 08:50:29 pm »

They do. Nobody notices it, though.

And if they continue to hold that they can fly, despite not being able to fly, they rationalise it by thinking that they are doing it wrong, implying that they just need to try different techniques. And leaping off of a cliff or tall structure is the last step possible, since failure means death.

It reminds me of a story about a guy who thought that he could do a sort of telekinesis, since he was able to leap in front of bikes and cars, and they would always stop for some reason. Didn't work against a train, though.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 09:02:32 pm by Shade-o »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4452 on: September 28, 2010, 08:59:55 pm »

They do. Nobody notices it, though.

I suppose jumping off a building lets you garner much more attention, for a little while, anyway.

"Look, I ca--" *whump* Isn't nearly as cool.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4453 on: September 28, 2010, 09:07:18 pm »

Well, what I meant is that trying to fly from a standing position on the ground isn't noticeable, since you're just standing there. It's not unusual or dangerous, so thousands of instances of people trying to fly would never be known, since the only way it would be known is by them telling other people about how they totally stood there and didn't fly.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4454 on: September 28, 2010, 09:12:34 pm »

Still, one shouldn't underestimate the power of mind over manner. I remember one story I heard (that may or may not be just an urban legend) about some train worker who got locked in a refrigerated car over the weekend. They found him dead, having turned the whole car into a room full of crazy going on about how cold it was carved into every wall. The refrigerated car had been unpluged all weekend. He willed himself to death by honestly thinking he was catching hypothermia
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 295 296 [297] 298 299 ... 370