Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 391672 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #4260 on: September 25, 2010, 05:28:11 am »

That's just the translations, man. The original was surely the best poetry in that cold, savage, dull, desolate, Scandinavia.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4261 on: September 25, 2010, 05:37:20 am »

I don't need translations..  :(
Love, scriver~

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4262 on: September 25, 2010, 05:48:32 am »

What, you can read runictm?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4263 on: September 25, 2010, 05:59:20 am »

Not offhand, no. But being Swedish, I can "understand" old Norse written in Roman letters. Less than I can imagine, of course, but more than nothing.
Disclaimer: Above statement should be ingested in combination with a large mouthful of salt.
Love, scriver~

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4264 on: September 25, 2010, 06:17:41 am »

It could very well be that the poetry is but another weapon that warriors are expected to use.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4265 on: September 25, 2010, 06:27:37 am »

*approves of derailment of zombiethread*

Unless anyone wants me to start again, but I doubt it  8)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4266 on: September 25, 2010, 07:21:38 am »

Sure you can. Gods die all the time in a variety of mythologies. Whether it be the death of a god, thus creating the earth, or a death in battle during a reshaping or utter destruction of the world. If anything, there are more mythologies in which gods can die than mythologies in which they are magical essences far removed from the cares of mortals. Then of course there are the mythologies in which severred parts of gods live on. And even if they can't be killed, they can be bound deep in an abyss or other magical prison; often helpfully placed nearby to where someone in the future is likely to stumble across it. Even in Christian mythology the latter is the case, where (in a simplified form) evil god is put into a magical abyssal prison.
That'd be killing a god, not the concept of god.

Incidentally, anyone else find it odd that the term "bible basher" means someone who likes forcing their beliefs in God on others?  I'd always thought it was the opposite :/.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4267 on: September 25, 2010, 07:28:34 am »

I had to look it up, and I thought as you did, leafsnail. Although I still fail to see the difference in forcing your belief in God or your non-belief in God or your belief in non-God. It's still forcing your belief on others.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4268 on: September 25, 2010, 07:36:01 am »

It's not that one's better than the other, just that it's a term that applies only to a sortof amateur evangelist.

It's a similar story with "God botherer", but at least that creates an awesome mental image of God cringing when he hears them spout on about their beliefs.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4269 on: September 25, 2010, 07:41:58 am »

It could very well be that the poetry is but another weapon that warriors are expected to use.

Interestingly enough, it has been.  both as that whole crazy "warrior poet" thing, where they supposedly sharpen their minds and intellects, but also the fine art of taunting used to really be a fine art in some places.

EDIT: oh, crap. THIS thread?

LEAFSNAIL: you're thinking of "Bible Thumpers"
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 07:52:22 am by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4270 on: September 25, 2010, 09:50:38 am »

I thought this thread was deleted.  ???
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #4271 on: September 25, 2010, 09:56:30 am »

Sure you can. Gods die all the time in a variety of mythologies. Whether it be the death of a god, thus creating the earth, or a death in battle during a reshaping or utter destruction of the world. If anything, there are more mythologies in which gods can die than mythologies in which they are magical essences far removed from the cares of mortals. Then of course there are the mythologies in which severred parts of gods live on. And even if they can't be killed, they can be bound deep in an abyss or other magical prison; often helpfully placed nearby to where someone in the future is likely to stumble across it. Even in Christian mythology the latter is the case, where (in a simplified form) evil god is put into a magical abyssal prison.
That'd be killing a god, not the concept of god.
Yes, but we don't need to kill the concept of a god-thread, merely kill a god-thread.

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #4272 on: September 25, 2010, 10:27:57 am »

:(

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4273 on: September 25, 2010, 10:55:45 am »

I'll just throw my two cents in: the entire argument of whether god exists or not is stupid, because there's not a single bit of evidence on either side of the agreement.

IMO both sides need to shut up and accept eachother, regardless of beliefs. Thankfully, most people do :)
EoS company name: Vikings Inc.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4274 on: September 25, 2010, 11:00:31 am »

I wish there was a rule concerning this thread: You shall not post an idea that has been already posted here.
C'mon people, it's just 280-ish pages, you can read that.
Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 370