Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 391721 times)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #4200 on: May 21, 2010, 10:07:20 am »

That's not logic.
I could say that the content of the bible is logical because the paper it was printed on adheres to the physical laws of the universe.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4201 on: May 21, 2010, 11:11:50 am »

That's not logic.
I could say that the content of the bible is logical because the paper it was printed on adheres to the physical laws of the universe.
That's saying that the construct of the book is logical, but the content is another matter. ;)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4202 on: May 21, 2010, 12:09:00 pm »

That's not logic.
That's saying that the construct of the book is logical, but the content is another matter. ;)

It actually follows a logical symbolic progression. For example, Luke and Matthew:

Healing of the deaf
Feeding
Healing of the blind
Feeding
The last supper
Death

Although, I'll have to dig up my bible for that. It's a Jerusalem bible, so I dunno.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4203 on: May 21, 2010, 12:23:02 pm »

That's not logic.
Exactly, and the same goes for our minds.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4204 on: May 21, 2010, 12:45:31 pm »

Siquo is humans acted first then rationalized then there would be nothing stopping murder. I think your getting rationalization mixed up with morals. Humans already know that killing another human is wrong. It's part of the natural instincts every creature gets. Protect yourself, protect your species, mate...

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4205 on: May 21, 2010, 01:10:23 pm »

And we act through those natural instincts. I don't "know" that it's wrong to kill another man, au contraire, logic tells me that it's not wrong at all, but I still won't be able to do it.

Afterwards we say that it's logical we didn't kill that one annoying guy, because that would mean the end of civilisation or something. 20/20 logical hindsight.

People usually act "because they feel like it". There's no Logic behind it (yes, a certain form of logic, but by that reasoning the bible also follows "a certain form of logic"). They just make it up if you ask them why they did or didn't do a certain thing. (Usually, there are rare occasions where we do think before we act).

Point being: Humans are irrational, and that's okay. Getting mental and spiritual support from an irrational book is okay, too. Nothing wrong with irrationality.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4206 on: May 21, 2010, 01:18:10 pm »

There is a huge problem with irrationality. Being irrational means a higher chance for mistakes. You cannot leave everything to luck.

Humans do think before they act, it's called the subconscious. You don't consciously think "well if I do this, this will happen", your mind analyzes things instantly based on previous experiences. I don't even know if you can call contradictions in the bible irrational. It's not like having a passage about stoning a person and then having one about not stoning them is done without thought. They were written down as lessons after much though. Frankly they should both just be removed since if someone reads the book and reads both passages it will lead to them not having any different opinion on whether to stone someone or not.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4207 on: May 21, 2010, 01:58:54 pm »

Then you could scrap 90% of it :)

The subconscious is irrational, it's completely useless with statistics for instance, but it's a really fast parallel processing computer, able to process vast amounts of data in a short time. Just not very accurate. But so is Science. We can determine pi, or Plancks constant, or the mass of a neutron, only within a certain accuracy. We have no Real knowledge, it's all approximations.

So descriptions of God are approximations as well, at best. "Omnipotent" is an approximation of the power, "Omniscient" an approximation of its intelligence, and so on. We lack the real knowledge, but we try to get as close as possible to the "Real Truth", as far as that even exists.

Also, this week I'm an agnostic humanist. Or a humanistic agnostic. Haven't decided yet.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4208 on: May 21, 2010, 02:02:14 pm »

So chances are that our view on god and the bible is wrong. Which means ever religious person is wrong?

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4209 on: May 21, 2010, 02:06:08 pm »

It means there is no wrong and right. There's only acceptable levels of accuracy.

As I asked RAM before: where does your "right" start and your "wrong" end? At 3.14? Or at 3.14159265? Or at 3?
(the bible states that pi = 3 somewhere. Literalists can't draw circles.)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4210 on: May 21, 2010, 02:09:33 pm »

Is relating the symbol 1 with one wrong? No it isn't.

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4211 on: May 21, 2010, 03:04:25 pm »

And yet, equating "one" with "1.0000000000000000000000000000" is more accurate. Equating "one" with "4" is so wildly inaccurate as to be laughable.

If equating "one" with "1" is right, but so is equating it with "1.0" and "1.00" and so on and so forth, at what point does it become wrong? And if I have 1.000000000000000000000000... (infinite number of zeros here)  ...000001, is it wrong to equate that with "one?"
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4212 on: May 21, 2010, 03:17:17 pm »

It's never wrong, and no that last part wouldn't be wrong either. It is a symbol created by humans. Just be you recognizing a symbol towards something means it's correct because there is no standard for it to be incorrect unless you compare it to others. You can probably show a Japanese symbol for one to a french guy and he wouldn't have any idea what it is.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4213 on: May 21, 2010, 03:21:17 pm »

Urist sais it right: right and wrong is a grey area.

Irony intended.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4214 on: May 21, 2010, 06:14:22 pm »

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent
Is he both able, and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God

~ (Urist) Epicurus
igless
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 370