Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 391866 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #4155 on: May 19, 2010, 05:03:50 pm »

I want to learn Latin. God only knows why, because I haven't figured it out yet.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4156 on: May 19, 2010, 05:10:42 pm »

Well, Latin is fun because

A) The words sound cool

B) Nobody in the public knows it

Which is a big boon to writers. In one of my stories I named a group of super-mutants with Neo-esque powers and love of trenchcoats The Validus. As far as I know, it's a very butchered word meaning "powerful". The way I figure it, most people won't know what it means, and those that do will be too busy enjoying the in-joke to think about how I ruined the word.

As for your question, Jackrabbit, something about certain words just sounds off to me, I can't explain better than that.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4157 on: May 19, 2010, 06:08:46 pm »

well, portuguese, italian and spanish derive directly from latin, mst people with knowledge of these languages have atleast a basic understanding of latin

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #4158 on: May 19, 2010, 08:20:27 pm »

Quick update: http://myxo.css.msu.edu/ecoli/

The Lenski E. Coli Experiment has recently reached 50,000 generations. Go experiment!

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #4159 on: May 19, 2010, 08:24:27 pm »

well, portuguese, italian and spanish derive directly from latin, mst people with knowledge of these languages have atleast a basic understanding of latin

Exactly, just like how anybody with knowledge of English has at least a basic understanding of French and German.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4160 on: May 19, 2010, 09:01:15 pm »

Exactly, just like how anybody with knowledge of English has at least a basic understanding of French and German.
Shouldn't that be German to French and English? I'm pretty sure German the parent langauge there.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #4161 on: May 19, 2010, 10:30:51 pm »

I was under the impression it was a combined effort between the two acts of coincidence
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4162 on: May 19, 2010, 11:11:42 pm »

I was under the impression it was a combined effort between the two acts of coincidence

Possibly. I know that English is the youngest out of the three of them, and that German has more partenal influence then french does on English.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4163 on: May 19, 2010, 11:58:45 pm »

the coran can be counted as the last tome
What do you mean by "last tome"?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Pathos

« Reply #4164 on: May 19, 2010, 11:59:30 pm »

I am an atheist because I hate religions because they promote cannonballism.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4165 on: May 20, 2010, 12:01:13 am »

Hey, we're not all Cannonballs!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4166 on: May 20, 2010, 12:38:19 am »

Religions predate the cannonball, which proves that they caused it!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4167 on: May 20, 2010, 01:52:41 am »

Possibly. I know that English is the youngest out of the three of them, and that German has more partenal influence then french does on English.
Well, specifically, English is the product of an old-german speaking populace being ruled by a french speaking one for a decent period of time, leaving it with germanic grammar and a (relative) handful of the most common words, with words rooted in french making up of the less-common-but-still-relatively-common lexicon. And then about 99% of what's left (which is the vast majority of the language as a whole) was taken directly from latin by scholars who needed new terms for things, with a little greek thrown in.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #4168 on: May 20, 2010, 04:39:48 am »

French is a Latin language. English and German are Germanic. So French should be with Italian, Spanish, Romanian, ...
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4169 on: May 20, 2010, 04:48:11 am »

I suspect that this is starting to venture off of the topic, even for religion...

Shouldn't an all-knowing god have foreseen all this concern over the translations of holy texts and made a set in Modern English, probably the most popularly accepted language since Latin? Give someone a fey mood and have them buried then to be discovered now. Living languages tend to drift a fair bit, even if a book was written in the same language that is being used centuries later it would still require a historian and linguist to derive accurate meaning from it.
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 ... 370