Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 392781 times)

TheDarkJay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #3735 on: May 02, 2010, 09:25:26 am »

Fear

There are many definitions for the word, perhaps we are simply using different definitions in this discussion?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 09:30:59 am by TheDarkJay »

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3736 on: May 02, 2010, 09:35:20 am »

In all definitions, Fear is an emotion. I feel no such emotion when i consider logical outcomes such as the consequences of my actions. I do not fear the consequences of breaking the law, i simply understand that the benefits of doing so are outweighed by the losses and thus it is not a good choice to make.

True Fear is actually quite hard to come by really. It's not an emotion you actually experience very often.

So no, we are not using different definitions. You're just wrong.

The butcher

• Bay Watcher
  • \M/ Horns up brothers...horns up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3737 on: May 02, 2010, 09:37:39 am »

Oh and about the begining of this thread..We atheists do NOT want an atheist church because that just makes no sense.
Take a look to the sky just before you die it's the last time he will!

TheDarkJay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3738 on: May 02, 2010, 09:37:48 am »

My point is: Something makes the disadvantages, disadvantages. That something is not wanting them disadvantages to happen for various reasons that make them disadvantages unpleasant.

The word fear just seems like the best term to use to describe that "not wanting", I apologise for my limited vocabulary in this respect. I have trouble sometimes with emotive language, and may very well be taking "If you fear something unpleasant or undesirable (aka. a disadvantage), you are worried that it might happen (hence the logical steps to avoid the disadvantage)" too literally or misinterpreting it (not a single person has ever managed to adequately explain to me the concept of respect, for example).
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 09:46:45 am by TheDarkJay »

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3739 on: May 02, 2010, 09:41:35 am »

True Fear is actually quite hard to come by really. It's not an emotion you actually experience very often.

You need to get out more.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3740 on: May 02, 2010, 10:42:11 am »

In all definitions, Fear is an emotion. I feel no such emotion when i consider logical outcomes such as the consequences of my actions. I do not fear the consequences of breaking the law, i simply understand that the benefits of doing so are outweighed by the losses and thus it is not a good choice to make.

So no, we are not using different definitions. You're just wrong.

Definition 3.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3741 on: May 02, 2010, 10:45:14 am »

i live in constant fear! :-[

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3742 on: May 02, 2010, 11:34:12 am »

i live in constant fear! :-[

With all those orcs coming at you, I don't blame you.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3743 on: May 02, 2010, 04:15:26 pm »

I wouldn't steal that money, unless maybe I had a family to feed which would starve unless I got that extra money.
This is what I would consider poor moral standing.  It's not yours to steal.  The proper action here is to confront the owner, ask them politely and explain that you could use $50, and only $50 to feed your family.  Having that much money to deposit, the owner... if they are morally correct... should have no problem giving you $50.  Hell, I'm pretty well off and one of my friends was in need of a new TV recently.  I gave them one of my old one (51" rear projection) because I don't use it anymore.  I didn't do it because some god would favor me.  I did it because they needed it and I had spare.  Logically, it made sense.

It's not your money to steal, but since I'm an Atheist, I would obviously have stolen said money (according to the people here that say morals come from religion.)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 04:17:25 pm by Andir »
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3744 on: May 02, 2010, 05:30:24 pm »

Hehe, from Atheism to Robin Hood

I'm sure this thread has been looping ideas around and around, but honestly, someone's going to create a logical explanation for how the world works and how people should interact, and then fill the inexplainable parts with 'We honestly don't know', or 'Some entity must have handwaived that part', then people will join that idea, willfully or not, and then someone else is going to have a counter-explanation, creating a schism, then the older idea will die out, and the whole thing will start anew.

Atheism, in it's many forms, today, will look as ridiculous as the really, really, old religions of yesteryear. We aren't much closer to explaining anything than the Mayans or the Native Americans, who were going on the best science and philosophy of their time
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3745 on: May 02, 2010, 06:12:50 pm »

But it shows something considering this conversation about morals hasn't come up that this thread still has stuff to give out. So what if it repeats? The only way to stop it from repeating is to ban the atheism topic from the thread. Even if this gets locked and a new one starts the same things will be talked about.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3746 on: May 02, 2010, 07:56:23 pm »

My point is: Something makes the disadvantages, disadvantages. That something is not wanting them disadvantages to happen for various reasons that make them disadvantages unpleasant.

The word fear just seems like the best term to use to describe that "not wanting", I apologise for my limited vocabulary in this respect. I have trouble sometimes with emotive language, and may very well be taking "If you fear something unpleasant or undesirable (aka. a disadvantage), you are worried that it might happen (hence the logical steps to avoid the disadvantage)" too literally or misinterpreting it (not a single person has ever managed to adequately explain to me the concept of respect, for example).

No, what makes the disadvantages, disadvantages, is the fact that they are disadvantageous to you. I do not need to worry about the consequences of failure, nor do i need to fear them, in order to determine that the risks outweigh the gains. All i need to do is recognise that a given course of action has a greater risk of loss than it does of gain, and thus determine that the action is an unwise one.

Would i feel fear if i found myself standing in front of a car, about to be run over? Of course. Is that fear a part of the decision-making process i go through to determine if it is safe to cross the road? Nope.

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3747 on: May 03, 2010, 03:11:17 am »

Would i feel fear if i found myself standing in front of a car, about to be run over? Of course. Is that fear a part of the decision-making process i go through to determine if it is safe to cross the road? Nope.

You kind of have a point here.

However, it is worth considering that many decisions (like the one to commit a crime, perhaps) are inherently emotionally charged. Consider a family deciding whether or not to "pull the plug" on grandma's life support. Grandma won't get better, the doctors say, and she's in a lot of pain. However, most, if not all people, are also motivated by the emotions of hope, love, and perhaps even fear of a world without Grandma. The criminal decision, for some people, at least, is like this. They legitimately fear prison, or the law. more often than not, people do not act rationally. A purely rational agent would not commit crimes, because they see, as you say, the disatvantages. However, the lure of a fast benefit is often balanced only by fear of the law.

You don't cross the street when there's a car coming. But if you're like most people, it's because you are afraid of dying, not because getting hit would be disadvantageous.
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3748 on: May 03, 2010, 03:36:55 am »

What is a "disadvantage" then? Is death a disadvantage? Not to everyone, since some even seek it. Advantages and disadvantages are very subjective, hence why crime still exists: obviously for some, the disadvantage of the risk of being caught is less than the advantage of easy money. The weighing is purely rational (as far as we can be), but the initial values of what is advantageous and to what amount is emotional.

I think this is the basis of all decision-making, rationally considering options that are weighed with emotional charge.

So both Neruz is right (about rational advantages), as is Urist (about fear and emotion being the largest factor). The fear is not part of the decision-making, but it was a large part in determining the amount of disadvantage a certain outcome would have in the first place.

To take the car analogy: We'll assume that somewhere in your life you decided you REALLY don't want to be run over by a car. Every time you cross the road you don't need to revive that emotion of fear, you already know it's there, and will take the effort of looking both ways to make sure you won't be run over.

Unless you're chased by a bear. Now stopping to look both ways WILL get you mauled by a bear, and not stopping MIGHT get you run over. I'm willing to bet you can make the decision in a split second to just cross the road. Unless you can already see the road is completely filled with huge trucks, all going fast, resulting in instant run-over-ness when you cross. Then you will not cross the road. Unless you have an irrational fear of bears, in which case the certainty of getting mauled is a lot worse than the certainty of getting ran over. All based on rational risk analysis, where each risk of each outcome is weighed against eachother according to the emotional weight corresponding to that outcome.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

TheDarkJay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3749 on: May 03, 2010, 08:17:04 am »

The weighing is purely rational (as far as we can be), but the initial values of what is advantageous and to what amount is emotional.

Basically what I'm saying =P

Actually the bear example is interesting: I have a phobia of dogs. On my paper round, one started chasing me (apparently playfully. What is playful about a four-legged mass of fur, muscle and teeth I do not know) and I legged it straight out of the caravan park (for t'was where I was delivering papers) and across the road without even looking. There were no cars, and the dog had stopped chasing me, but I didn't even remember the road was there until I was on the other side of it. The owner of the dog then yelled at me because if a car had come it might have hit the dog, and I literally screamed "GOOD, BETTER IT THAN ME!" at her ^^
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 08:19:16 am by TheDarkJay »
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 370