Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 392164 times)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #3105 on: April 14, 2010, 12:56:04 pm »

I actually found a better quote for that:

Quote from: Thomas Jefferson, letter to Danbury Baptist Association, CT., Jan. 1, 1802
Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man and his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legislative powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between church and State.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #3106 on: April 14, 2010, 12:58:46 pm »

Like I said, a non religious country, they wanted a seperation between state and church.
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3107 on: April 14, 2010, 01:00:10 pm »

What you mean is a non-religious government.
!!&!!

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #3108 on: April 14, 2010, 01:57:38 pm »

"a seperation between state and church." They didnt want religion to do with anything.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3109 on: April 14, 2010, 02:00:46 pm »

"a seperation between state and church." They didnt want religion to do with anything.
... concerning law.  But they were all for people being religious.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3110 on: April 14, 2010, 08:19:21 pm »

Huesoo seems to be having difficulty understanding what "seperation of church and state" means.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3111 on: April 14, 2010, 10:20:24 pm »

Perhaps you could say that they wanted the country itself, as a unique entity, be devoid of religion, but the occupants of that country not to be compelled or excluded from any spiritual beliefs. Also, they were a bunch of people, I very much doubt that they were in complete agreement, and sometimes countries change...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3112 on: April 14, 2010, 11:34:53 pm »

The US is still mostly secular. It waxes and wanes. The last major bout of religiosity is still hanging about. The 1950s cold war shit.

The major issue its sneaky as fuck, religiousness. The last major crisis the texas text book rewriting of history! He didn't hide his platform exactly. Its looks like its being corrected, though its slow going like government should mostly be.

The last creationism issues in Dover was the sneakiest yet, and it ended well.

Currently in my local town Lancaster,Ca sectarian prayer is openly being supported with heavy (but lip service to not only) christian clergy members. It stirs my ire, but I'm confident when the ACLU sues the city it'll correct itself. 8/
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3113 on: April 15, 2010, 02:34:02 am »

Aren't people supposed to swear on the bible when testifying in court? I know court != state, but shouldn't separation of religion and state also include the police and the justice system?

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3114 on: April 15, 2010, 04:41:21 am »

Aren't people supposed to swear on the bible when testifying in court? I know court != state, but shouldn't separation of religion and state also include the police and the justice system?
Its completely optional. And they offer all sorts of things for all sorts of other religions. I think Jews smash a plate?? Or was that Muslum. Secularists simply just go under perjury charges that the religious guys get anyway.

And any State oaths (Thats city, county, state and federal levels) all have secular versions, if they are not the de facto all ready. I know for the US Census their oath had a religious overtone. I don't know which is default though. That may have been the one that my bosses decided to do first. Afterward I became bound to several spiffy federal laws. One at least I am still bounded to, that comes with a 250k fine and/or 25? years federal prison sentence if I were to violate it.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3115 on: April 15, 2010, 06:42:16 am »

http://dudeism.com/

I am no longer an atheist.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3116 on: April 15, 2010, 07:11:31 am »

White russians!

Although the rest of their site revolts me. Sarah Silverman on par with the Dude?! They are delusional!

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #3117 on: April 15, 2010, 09:41:53 am »

"a seperation between state and church." They didnt want religion to do with anything related with the goverment.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3118 on: April 15, 2010, 03:48:48 pm »

Anybody else find it narcissistic when you quote yourself? It makes me giggle at it, as I don't think its intentional.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #3119 on: April 15, 2010, 04:06:54 pm »

I was fixing the quote, as my original post was vague.
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 370