Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 392172 times)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #3045 on: March 29, 2010, 08:51:47 pm »

@grek:
what to do? (ed: if the world is an illusion)
Look for the seams; playtest the world and get to know how it works, then use the bugs to escape or crash the world.
Science is the best way to study the world, as all other types of study are essentially internal to the person without a real connection to the word aside from how that person perceives the world..

@whomever: humans believe they are just animals:
Yes, we are animals, always have been always will be, we have behaved like sentient toolmaking animals because that is what we are. I do have an issue with your disregard for the grandour of life.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 09:04:04 pm by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3046 on: March 29, 2010, 11:15:10 pm »

I don't think I...... ge.  IMHO.

But I mean, can you put a picture of an infinite universe in your head? Like, imagine what it looks like?

Yes, I look outside.  I see it.  It just is.
Yeah, I quoted myself... I've been playing Just Cause 2 for the past few hours and was mulling this over.  Are you asking me to fit the entirety of infinity with every little detail in my head?  Nobody is properly equipped for that.  You retain a certain amount of information.  Information that lets you get along in life.  You leave your hometown and head to the big city.  You start to forget the road names, how many lights there are between Main St. and Broad St.  That's information you don't need anymore, so you forget it.. I should say, your brain packs it away or forgets it.  It rewires those needless bits of data and allocates it to something else that's similar, but not quite the same.  I hope you aren't asking me to imagine it all at one time...

Infinity is you looking a the horizon and knowing that that horizon also has a horizon... so on and so forth.  Our current horizon is the edge of the known universe.  What's beyond that is anyone's guess, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say, more stuff.  I'm personally under the hope that there's more out there than just black abyss... the Universe would be rather boring be it finite, but I'm sure the religious community would be all over it: placing humans as the sole benefactor of such a Universe.  Obviously, it must have been built for us.   ::)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

masam

• Bay Watcher
  • How lovely...Burn it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3047 on: March 29, 2010, 11:34:42 pm »

Great oliver appears to be well versed in forensics and philosophy.  While I do believe, and that choice is my own, i'm actually enjoying his rather...thorough debunking of arguments that haven't been quite thought through all the way. 

Unfortunately because they haven't been thought through all the way, the posters arguing against you are so busy defending their points that they aren't listening to your argument.

So I have a question for everyone involved in this conversation, when you read the response of your debating opponent, are you really reading it and absorbing the ideas they lay out?  Or are you skimming it while thinking of the fastest way to respond back?  Because it's the first that will allow you to understand the most and then form a better overall approach to the response, or in some cases, allow you to concede without looking like a damn fool.

(Oh, and i'm not calling anyone here a damn fool, I'm speaking purely from my own experience.  Faith without reason breeds zealots of every kind.)
And for the record, you are basically calling everyone a fool for not agreeing with you.  The points being brought up are being read and debated.  Because we don't agree with them doesn't make them any less valid or invalid.  Because you agree with them doesn't make them any more valid.  You seem to agree with those points because you claim we are being debunked, which in itself is debatable, so you concluded that we MUST be skimming and ignorant.
I'm calling no one a fool.  I'm saying that Oliver is better at portraying his opinion than some others in the forum andir.  If I wasn't clear, I meant that I believe in a higher power, not I believe in his arguments.  I may very well disagree with them but he is better at plugging holes than many parties I've come across.

Tl:DR Stop attacking and defending, and listen. 
I've listened, and the idea that I am a battery is pointless unless you can provide me proof of such claims.  There's no sense believing in that unless you are trying to do something with it.

I'm not attacking or defending.  What you've done though is attack.  You are telling everyone here that they are wrong and he is right.  Maybe you chose your words poorly, but you implied that we were the ones being "debunked" here and he's spouting philosophy about the brain/sense interaction with no other recourse.  And yes, I did read your post as saying you believe in a higher power.  That's why it's easier for you to take his side in this... friend of your enemy, etc.
The enemy of my enemy is my friend? No.  In that case I will blatantly tell you you're wrong.  I'm praising his argument with him not because I believe, but because his argument is tighter than yours.  Now i'm calling you out cause you've managed to irritate me by attempting to argue semantics.  I'm saying to tighten up or introduce more.  I never said his battery idea was feasible nor right, I'm saying he's displaying it better.  I'm quite the fan of science and I agree with a few of your arguments infact.  Which is why I'm staying the hell out of it.  I'm saying that gaps are everywhere throughout this thread, and lauding him only, and I mean ONLY because his is so far, the best phrased.  Thus why I'm saying that those arguing against him are being "debunked."  But you are right, debunked was a poor choice of words, I apologize.  His is merely the so far, tightest argument.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3048 on: March 30, 2010, 04:31:21 am »

You miss out on a bit and suddenly you have a text wall, and if I spoiler it nobody will read it.

Well, you have been warned...

@masam: Absorbing as much of it while skimming over semantics. I know I cannot disprove a god, but I still have a right to find it implausible enough to not believe in one.
I find myself unable to disprove all possible gods, but almost entirely because 'god' is not defined. It is possible for something to exist that will never have any interaction with our world, but it is impossible for people to worship it because by being aware of it it would be interacting with those people, so if it exists it is definitely not god, because people refer to god at all, even if they don't define it.

I can however prove that specific gods, or specific types of god cannot exist. using logic and reason if not science, yet...
 The arguments against beings that are all-knowing, all-powerful, and actually value human interests are well represented(and if you think 'life is a test' or 'we wouldn't appreciate it otherwise' are valid replies then you are completely missing the 'all-powerful creator' bit.) so I don't need to go into them, but if someone is willing to accept a more limited god then I am willing to entertain that notion...
 A god that refuses to provide proof of itself, and damns those who refuse to accept it purely out of faith is bad, very very bad, I will go into it at length if you want me to but it is safe to say that I will never accept it as anything but a mortal enemy and those that praise it as extremely suspect...(yes, I can be a fervent Atheist, maltheist, pantheist and polytheist all at once, I am funny that way((or not, society does seem to have a certain knack for contradiction)))
 A god that changes people to fit with heaven, rather than making a heaven that fits with everyone doesn't work for me, Until I can come up with a heaven that works for everyone I am not interested...(Oh, and that pretty much kills and variation on the 'if you bet against god and lose you are in trouble' arguments, I lose on any scenario in which god exists, no matter what I believe. Unless being damned is tolerable...)

But I mean, can you put a picture of an infinite universe in your head? Like, imagine what it looks like?
Look up, it is right there. As for the whole thing? Well, no, vision is directional, at least in humans, so you cannot look at it all at once, because there is no point along any visible plane that provides a view of the whole thing. As for an omnidirectional infinitely perceptive view? well, over there are some planets, over there is a star, our in that direction is mostly empty space. looking at the whole thing at once doesn't really tell you anything, there is no frame of reference. It would be like looking at a map of the world and a stack of encyclopaedias. You can talk about going on holidays to exotic locations, or discuss the political situation in various bureaucracies but just knowing the whole thing at once isn't really relevant to anything.

Well, you draw a line, well, actually you imagine that line, and then you cut the end off of it, and now it is a shorter line, or two shorter lines, well, you didn't cut it you caused the end to cease to exist, much as god ignores people who aren't kosher enough to go into the journal and they cease to exist, except they are still paying attention to themselves so maybe they can perpetuate themselves and truly escape god once and for all...

Erm, oh, right, but what if instead of causing the end of the line to cease to exist you actually cause the fact that it ends at all to cease to exist, kind of like redefining it so that it only has one end, although you were only paying attention to one end so the other one may have become infinite because you weren't looking at it, wow, very zen.

but, umm, anyway, you took your line and suddenly it didn't stop anymore, and you realise that it is so big that it doesn't matter how big it is, and then you realise that it isn't big at all, big just doesn't apply anymore. So, there is this line, and it just doesn't end, and so there you have infinity, infinity is how long the line is, and the line is too long to have a length, sort of, it is, umm, sort of not really a number, but it behaves like one in many ways...

Actually having stuff in that infinity is kind of painful, but it sort of works, you go some-place and there is stuff there, and then you realise that it doesn't matter where you are, it just matters what you are looking at(it does take a little work to stop thinking about everything in terms of radiating from a centre), but that is dealing with an infinite x and y axis and a finite z axis, going off into a dozen different infinite axes would... require effort...

First, your perception of the world is not necessarily true...
But it is practically true, and if you ignore it you will eventually encounter suffering, and that suffering will change you, so you need to accept it as a working assumption, even if you don't believe it, in order to maintain your self and to avoid perceived negatives. And even if you do abandon your perception of the world then what will you replace it with? something chosen at random? Something introduced to you via book or community that can clearly be explained by mundane processes and are themselves parts of that world that you are choosing to ignore?
 The only thing that you can trust is that your perception exists, because without that then the proof couldn't be perceived, so if you know about the proof then your perception exists, and if your perception doesn't exist then the proof doesn't exist relative to the non-existence you. so if the proof exists the perception exists and if, well, it is co-recursively evident at least...
 So your mistakes relative to perceived reality will be perceived, and that is worth considering...

Andir: The glitches are non-reproducible. The only proof of glitches that we can possibly have is through personal experience, or from stories of others. That makes them kinda useless to science, but does not mean they do not exist...

Then they're useless to everyone. Science isn't like some really big person who can't see things unless they happen a lot, whereas a person can. If you can't get any meaning out of them with science, you're just guessing.

Individual glitches would not be reproducible, but the existence of glitches would be ongoing and a large-scale experiment would be plausible, if expensive. But feel free to cover The Bermuda Triangle with passive sensors and have them monitored constantly for a couple of centuries...

Then they're useless to everyone. Science isn't like some really big person who can't see things unless they happen a lot, whereas a person can. If you can't get any meaning out of them with science, you're just guessing.
Wait, what? If I understand you correctly (because I don't), science can't see certain things that exist, but trying to give meaning to those things without science is guessing?

I'll give you a small recap from the last 200 pages:
1. Science gives no meaning. It doesn't tell you right from wrong, good from bad. Only people can do that.
2. Science only concerns itself with reproducible events. Even evolution is reproducible, theoretically. Matrix-glitches and Acts Of God are not, so science does not concern itself with them. They are statistical outliers.
3. Science is not a method. The scientific method is a method. Applying that method to things it can't be applied to, is called Scientism and is frowned upon by people who actually practice science.
Quote from: Wiktionary
   1. The belief  that the assumptions, methods of research, etc. of the physical and biological sciences are equally appropriate and essential in all other disciplines including the humanities  and the social sciences.
Science produces reliable results, religion is chaotic and arbitrary. If science can deduce a reason for living which reliably produces a perpetual and satisfied society then why shouldn't it be used? I am not saying that science is the only source of knowledge, I prefer wild logical abandon myself, I don't claim that it cannot be improved or that something better cannot be determined, but for now it would seem to be the most reliable source of information we have, and if we actually want something to work, we should try to apply science to it. Maybe we don't currently have the means to do so, and if we can't do it properly then obviously its results will be suspect, but to just discard it from entire fields of knowledge based upon the misgivings of those who stand to lose from its application is obvious folly.

Besides, this discussion is not about science, it is about religion, religion tries to prove itself, but fails because science proves that religion is misguided in its proofs, but that is all irrelevant, because religion's tend to demand faith, if you expect people to rely on faith(which is practically the definition of folly) then science is irrelevant. If not, then what has religion done for us that would make it more trustworthy than science?

I pose a thought experiment to the sophilists on this forum:

We have no way of discerning the nature of the "real" world (if indeed there is one more real than the one we now perceive), nor do we have any way to reach it without assistance. We know not how that assistance might be gotten nor the motivations of those who are watching us from "reality" (if, indeed, they even exist), so any action seems as good as the next for that purpose. Should we simply be apathic and wait for the illusion to end itself? Should we, instead, kill ourselves right here and now, in hopes that doing so is the act that need be done? Swear loudly at who-so-ever runs this simulation untill they (hopefully) let us out?
I vote for swearing loudly, so long as it doesn't pose a significant hindrance to your life...

But Greatoliver; what makes you so sure that that either the limits of our mental capacity are fixed, or that the Universe is greater than our ability to understand it?

Our understanding may not be fixed, I agree, but this does not change the fact that there may be things we cannot understand: if there are limits to our understanding, it raises the question about what is beyond the limits.  Whether there is something outside of the box, I could not say, and so we may be able to understand everything but we will never know for certain, as the very fact it is outside of the limits of our minds means we can never reach it.
But why should anything be beyond our understanding, and why would it be beyond all of our understandings? Certainly it is possible, but even if we could not understand it there would still be evidence of it, just because a child does not understand economics doesn't mean they don't trade money for icecream. And if they chose to enquire about it they could find where the money and icescream come from and discover a host of unanswered questions that they could study. There seems to be a distinct lack of loose threads to hint at god, and those that exist are being explored. Extradimensional physics may be a little alien, but it is far from impossible...

...it's 'cheating'...

I agree.  The Veil of Ignorance is hideous to argue against, just because it sweeps aside anything you are arguing about, but it is a valid move:

The problem with a non-transcendental God is that it cannot exist.  The theistic God, who is all-powerful, all-loving and all-knowing, is a mess of fallacies and self-contradictions, which you can probably guess at.  Anyone trying to defend this God ends up resorting to the Veil of Ignorance as it is the only way to for God to exist.

It is a fair move however.  By describing God, we have put Him into our own capacities, which is not valid, as by doing so, some meaning has been lost, which is a bit like integrating and forgetting the constant.  If He is transcendental, we cannot understand Him and so arguing is not possible, using God as a premise.

This does mean that we can only speculate and arguing is pointless, as each speculation has the same value as any other, unless they are absurd.
It really saddens me that people would give up so easily.
For starters, ignorance cuts both way, if you claim it is unknowable then nobody knows it. How old is this food? Are there any crocodiles in that river? Can anyone else fly the plane if I jump out for some impromptu skydiving? Will I be shot if I run naked through the white house as a political protest? Will everyone get the joke if I turn up to a war memorial and impersonate Hitler? If the answer is "I don't know" then you should probably assume the worst-case scenario and accept the possibility of the best...
 In short, it doesn't work.

But honestly, what is 'unknowable'? It doesn't reason? Well that is simple, it is random. Is it omnitemporal? Pfft, it is still subject to causality, just because you fix one dimension doesn't mean the others lose all cohesion, and if they do then we are back to random, and being a persistent entity under the control of a random entity is not a good thing... Maybe it sees time in reverse, and thinks people get happier with age and are becoming more religious... Perhaps it is looking at a host of different dimensions and is making sacrifices with ours for the betterment of others? Then it is neither powerful(in its own perspective) nor obsessed with us...
 But regardless, what we know is this world, and we know that there isn't a space for god in it...

Any meaning lost by defining god does not exist from a human perspective, and therefore has no bearing on humans, and therefore no meaning has been lost by defining god.

But if all speculations have the same value, why choose god, why choose a god, why choose belief? To reach a working religion religious belief you need to leave the assumption of ignorance far far behind you. Religion does, at its core, assume that people fundamentally know, if you assume that the universe cannot be known, then science is the only competitor that assumes ignorance and can survive in it...

If God does not follow reason, there's no point in paying any attention to him, because there's no way for you to ever know if you're doing the right thing or the wrong thing.

Basically we're back to 'irrelevant' again.

He may follow a reason of His own, but as long as it is higher than ours, it can be converted down into our own, providing some kind of reason that we can accept, even if we cannot understand.

Really, when it comes to following God, it is a bit odd anyway.  Why do people take it to be the correct way of living? I'm not a believer myself and so from looking in from the outside, I find the idea of a "leap of faith" something I could never see myself doing, even if they are irrational.

So concerning right or wrong, I don't really know why people think God is morally true, but if there was a God, it is certainly relevant.

Hmmm....
But some people will not accept without understanding, is this their fault? If we cannot understand god, then we cannot choose for ourselves how to worship it, and there is no absolute guide dictating how to worship it. If every single human on this planet instinctively knew which religion was true, or even if there was only one, then perhaps people could just follow the instructions and be holy. But in this world, true service to an undefined god is impossible.

If you can truly imagine infinite, you are exceptional. What I mean by understand is to actually realise what it is in a positive manner.  People can concieve of infinity, but this is by saying what it is not, i.e. without limits.  But to actually imagine a number that is infinitely large is something I cannot do, without refering to things it is not.
The positive word for it is perpetual, but negative and positive concepts are too often used interchangeably for it to have any significance. Without limits is exactly what it is, but without limits is misleading, it is not that it is missing its limits, it is that there is nowhere for limits to go.
 But honestly, what do you expect? Humans can't even conceive of the entirety of the visible surface of an apple without effort. Sure, you can look at it, but do you remember all the patterns? Are you aware of all the defects in its shape? Humans live their lives focusing on things, I spend alot of time looking at things through my peripheral vision, which may help, but perhaps the best way for you to think of it would be to just imagine being able to be, and observe, and part of an infinite space, and understand that there are no sides to worry about...

I don't think there is anything outside of our understanding.  The universe is a very real place. ... ...It just happens to fill in your blank spots with benevolent gods, invisible unicorns and happy trees because you don't seem to be able to cope in a world that's honest and truthful.

The problem here is that you are thinking merely inside your own capacities... How can you deny the possibility that there may be things you cannot imagine? Are there things you cannot think? There is no way to answer this as you cannot imagine an unimaginable thing...

Now, when it comes to a "honest and truthful" world, once again, this is speculation on your behalf.  First, your perception of the world is not necessarily true, for example, look at the Matrix.  This was roughly based upon what Descartes was going on about, which is a world where only deductive reasoning is true, i.e. our senses are deceiving.  You can claim the Universe is real, but this is based upon a flawed perception.  Only when you break free of your senses, can you see what the Universe is actually like.
The Matrix was about a world in which only belief was real, it was like that so that they could have fight scenes where people were capable of superhuman feats because they believed in them. But they still believed in pain, and injury, and death, and these things happened to them. If one looks at the story then you see that they had a myth about someone who could believe, and therefore achieve, anything, and that the world mattered to everyone who didn't know it was a lie, people who died there were gone from the 'real' world too...
 But trying to twist The Matrix into a useful example for a moment, If you cannot escape the matrix, what does it matter if it is a lie, and what use is there in knowing about a world beyond if you cannot do anything about it. And if you don't know anything about the world beyond, why believe it to be machineworld? Why not interstellar passenger ship, or vacation time from ultra-confusing future world, or maybe you are on life-support, or maybe you are in the real world already, and there is nothing else... To choose any specific god, and believe that you have chosen correctly... Priceless.
Also, believin... ......rd and that "preacher" should be tried and convicted if they are lying to you.

I agree... But, people believe in God, so there must be a reason, even if it is irrational in the end...
[/quote]
There are reasons, they can be easily hypothesised and are mundane. Basically people don't like to think that they are ignorant, so they make stuff up to be certain of it...
That's fine and all, but it's based on imagination and storytelling and it holds no more truth or evidence than Star Wars Light Sabers and The Force.  It's simply for entertainment purposes and should be used for nothing more.  Unless of course you can prove it.

In defense of religious followers, most of the time, it does no harm and often, it does lead people along lives that are pleasant.  I mean, the idea of having a Theistic God above you must be amazing reassurance to believe, as if you are a Christian, everything is great as you can just go to Heaven.  In the end, it's every person to their own, as it is a personal choice... I cannot see it myself and I am content with that.
Ignorance is bliss, at the moment religion is the, immediate, better of two Evils, but if we don't get over religion(amongst other things) we will never have anything good. Religion is particularly bad because it strongly encourages fanaticism(not all fanatics are militant) and portrays itself as moral. There is nothing with as much potential for Evil than something used as a source of morality.
My question to you, do you only believe things you can prove? If so, what do you actually believe?  The only thing that is able to be proved are deductive truths, such as 2+2=4.  Gravity is not provable, nor is anything based upon perception, so it would lead you on a rather unbelieving life  ;)
Truly provable beyond all possible doubt? That would be pretty much nothing. But I like to keep my assumptions to a single consistent scenario. God is completely unnecessary and basically a random guess with no support from the rest of existence, it goes in the fiction pile.

Reason is not the end-all-catch-all of the human mind. Thank God for that, or the world would be a boring place.

If you take "days" to the amount of time that the universe took to form according to science, he's still resting now :)
Days are pretty clearly defined, not having light(and the sun is pretty important too) isn't very convincing, I find it hard to believe that the original text would have looked much like this. I guess even back then people were saying that god can have days without days because god is just that good...

And reason is the only human trait that is willing to give you a decent conversation. Instinct isn't good for much beyond physical activity and fantasy, while it offers some useful inspiration, is basically there for entertainment. Reason really is the best friend in your head, it is the only voice that will tell you the truths that you don't want to hear.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3049 on: March 30, 2010, 05:00:29 am »

Holy jesus fuck, it doesn't stop.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3050 on: March 30, 2010, 05:13:41 am »

Oh, hey, RAMs back.

Also, don't tell me you're only figuring this out now, Neruz.

Greatoliver

• Bay Watcher
  • Blobby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3051 on: March 30, 2010, 06:26:00 am »

First: The whole Matrix thing I was going on about was basically what Grek was saying about perception.

Now, there problem with this is that it is not very useful. I mean, take the idea that anything you are not sensing at this moment no longer exists, and it pops back into existance before you sense it (a bit wooly, I know).  This entails that no object has continuity and so, for instance, you father isn't actually the same as when you saw him.  This generally leads to some kind of breakdown as it means humans can't function properly.

So, as chaoticag said, we just have to assume what we see is there and it is true.  If we get off our pensive clouds, out of the studies and back to normal lives, this assumption means we can actually live. I mean, there is a chance that what we see is actually real, or at least not far from the truth.

So your mistakes relative to perceived reality will be perceived, and that is worth considering...

This is very true.  Science may be the study of the world, but we cannot get out of it.  Everything we sense will be in some way hindered by our senses: the real world is out there, but the "Matrix" is in our heads, caused by the limitations of our senses.  This means we cannot escape the deceptions caused by them, and so science is not an answer.

Of course, if we just make the small step of assuming our senses are roughly right, human life can continue to carry on as normal.

@RAM: Wow, you weren't lying  ;D

Infinity:  You have managed to prove my point, which I was unable to; it can't be imagined.  Really, it was just an illustration to show the limitations of the human mind.  Thus, if God was twohundred-fold more complex that the idea of infinity, it would not be possible to think about it, unless it was converted into our own terms, which is the main idea behind a Transcendental God.

Perception:  Well, if we take perception to be untrue, we don't necessarily need to replace it.  It is certainly functional as me writing this sort of proves that life can be lived by using it, but what I propose is that we cannot learn anything true about the world.  Science can teach us "functional truths", which are only true as a paradigm, but not logically true;we just need a healthy dose of skepticism.

This does raise the question of where the distinction between "functional truths" and "true truths" lie, and whether there is any pragmatic difference between the two.  I would say the question of the existance of God lies within the region of the latter, which entails that we cannot prove it through our senses.  This correlates with the idea of transcendancy, but leaves us in the dust as the only method of proving it is through deductive reasoning, which doesn't seem to work.  Thus, it ends up as a "leap of faith".

Religion vs science:  I agree that science trumps religion, but they are not mutually exclusive.  Furthermore, I would claim that they are two different things.  If we take the two different kinds of truth as above, science tends to the former, and religion the other.  Religion fails badly at explaining the world and so on, but actually does tell us something about human nature and does give us some kind of moral code to live by.  On the other hand, science is great for living, ending diseases and making life better, but tells us nothing about how we should live our lives.

This addresses one of the large problems with science, which is that it isn't very human.  It doesn't really take into account suffering, nor the little irregularities of human nature.  Take a look at political philosophy: scientific-based ideas such as utilitarianism leads to a society where humans are severly limited and there is the suffering of one for the good of many... I personally find it a cold system, if we assume it maanges a way to measure "suffering".  Conversely, systems like the Liberty Principle allow humans to flourish and suffer, but at least it is human.

Understanding:  The problem with trying to assess whether there are things we cannot understand is that we are looking from inside a box of our own limiting mental capacities.  Now, you may be correct, but I don't think we can say either way as to if there is something outside of our understanding, as we can never get there.  The entails a potential for there to be something, and in this potential is the only reasonable argument for God's existence.

Any meaning lost by defining god does not exist from a human perspective, Therefore has no bearing on humans,
Therefore no meaning has been lost by defining god.

I don't think this argument works... We cannot discuss a transcendental God, as it is above us and outside of our mental capacities, by definition.  This doesn't mean that the qualities of God have no effect on us....

The problem with the argument is that your conclusion is in direct contradiction with your first premise, so it doesn't make logical sense, i.e. you say there is a lost meaning, and end up saying there isn't, making the argument void. 
I do see what you mean, however, but I feel it is irrelevant. Either God is able to be put in our terms and does not exist (concerning a Theistic God), or He is Transcendental and we cannot discuss it.

You have brought up the main problem with transcendency, which is that if it is trascendental, it is something that is not really worth believing in.  God is portrayed as a loving, almost human Being, but if it is so far above us, why does it care?  It becomes something that is not human, which we cannot relate to... Most of religion then breaks down, as worshipping it is pointless, prayers become meaningless etc.  But then if it is not transcendental, it cannot exist logically.

My only response to this is to say "God moves into mysterious ways" and leave believers to their own irrational ways.

But if all speculations ha.... science is the only competitor that assumes ignorance and can survive in it...

I dunno... I've talked to some preachers of Christianity and quizzed them about their belief, and they all end up saying that they have a feeling that there is something greater out there (and I end up envying them ;)).  It is not something rational; they cannot break down that feeling into anything smaller, or explain it.  Christians certainly accept that they cannot know God, yet still think they can have a personal relationship with Him.  That's what I mean by a "leap of faith"; you could fall away into nothing, but people risk that they could be wrong to lead a life with God.  They do truly believe, but it is not really based upon anything except their feeling, which is belief..... So it is very circular.

My Lord! RAM, how much did you write...?  :'(

I guess the people who won't believe without understanding are the non-believers in the world... I personally find organised religion to be somewhat bad, as I don't have a specific way of treating my friends, and so if God is a friend, I don't think there should be a set way of following Him...

Really though, I can't say whether there should be a set way or not... Is there even a "should"?  It really depends on your definition of God and so this is a tricky to answer.

To choose any specific god, and believe that you have chosen correctly... Priceless.

Any belief about the unknown is just as valid as any other... Even the accusation that their belief is wrong is as valid as their choice ;) But to start imposing it on other people is certainly not justifiable,  I agree, hence why I think the Liberty Principle is a good system of politics.

Time to tackle some pessimism:
Ignorance is bliss, at the moment religion is the, immediate, better of two Evils, but if we don't get over religion(amongst other things) we will never have anything good. Religion is particularly bad because it strongly encourages fanaticism(not all fanatics are militant) and portrays itself as moral. There is nothing with as much potential for Evil than something used as a source of morality.

First, what is your basis for Good and Evil?  Where do you draw your morality from?  Because everyone has a source of morality, unless they are amoral...

Second, I really don't think you can address all religions in one sweeping statement.  I strongly believe that there are some religions that if the whole world was to believe it, the world would be a better place, be it Jainism, Buddhism or some elements of Christianity.  They emphasise most of all that harm is a bad thing and generally try to create a peaceful and tolerant society.  The fact they say they are moral codes is irrelevant; what their moral codes are is important.  Humans do need some source of morality from somewhere.

Concerning your comment on fanaticism, that is just not true.  Tolerance is a virtue in many religions.

Some religions are "bad", but calling them all "bad" is certainly too far.

God is completely unnecessary and basically a random guess with no support from the rest of existence, it goes in the fiction pile.

To assess why people believe in God, one has to talk to them.  To them, it is not a random guess, as I have mentioned.  There are no arguments either way, really, when it comes to God so it is essentially a guess, but most of the time, it is based upon some kind of personal insight.

I assume that you are someone who needs proof to believe, in which case, religion is not for you, unless you have some kind of religious experience, in which case you may change.

You are right; God is not essential, but then science isn't essential, nor are a lot of things.  We don't live life with the bare necessities however.  Bottom line is this: Your belief in God is irreducable and personal and so for anyone else to truly understand why is impossible, because of qualia.  I don't understand myself why people do, but I could concieve of why.

You may think them foolish, but you can never understand their reasons fully and so you cannot really judge them on their beliefs.

(Fair enough if they start imposing it on others, or generally being stupid with religion... e.g. the Pope and condoms; at this point, religious belief should not be tolerated.)

8)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3052 on: March 30, 2010, 06:46:30 am »

+1.

Edit: Except that I took/am taking/will take the leap.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3053 on: March 30, 2010, 08:20:43 am »

« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 08:26:09 am by Areyar »

Greatoliver

• Bay Watcher
  • Blobby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3054 on: March 30, 2010, 08:37:48 am »

This study suggests morality is a biological function of the brain and not a function of an immortal soul.

This doesn't change much however...  God created humans, and so essentially implanted the morality into their brains; it is still God's morality.

Does anyone even claim that it is part of the soul, rather than the brain?

There is an interesting crossover between the mind and the brain... One being physical and the other being, well, "mental", and so it would makes sense that every mental action has a corresponding physical one in the brain (look at psychiatry).  The question remains however: most people have a set of moral codes and these must come from somewhere. Thus, my question is still valid.

Interesting study...

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3055 on: March 30, 2010, 08:41:45 am »

I saw that study. Nice to know morality isn't something dreamed up by humans to make the world make sense.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3056 on: March 30, 2010, 09:15:00 am »

Here's hoping I'm not too much Ninjaed.  Although I'd lay odds that something I have ended up glossing over has become part of the crux of an argument, despite trying to be all-encompassing, or at least reasonably so...

Do we know Evolution happens?  As far as I know, Evolution is still a theory, albeit a very persuasive one.
"Evolution being still [just] a theory" is a rather thin argument usually rolled out by the Creatonists set, and really does not cut the mustard.

Part of it is, of course, that a layperson's "theory" is your basic idea, untested, perhaps equivalent to the scientist's hypothesis (which has some evidence behind it, but hasn't yet been tested) or perhaps even down to the level of a 'hunch' (not even backed up by any real evidence, at least consciously noted).  Whereas to a scientist, a theory must have consistent observations to back it up and is concomitant with the term "Law" (i.e. "Theory Of Gravity" == "Law Of Gravity"), with the terminology of scientific Laws being deprecated (or understood as being of a historical consideration) because until the Theory Of Everything gets resolved Science always understands that various laws are topical in nature (e.g. Newton's Laws are sufficient to describe something only so long as relativistic and/or quantum effects don't impinge upon them for a given model).

So "Theory Of Evolution" being "still [just] a theory" is probably the worst way to make an argument.

As to its persuasiveness, there are a number of subtleties that can be argued about (regarding how much artificiality there is to the 'natural' selection, by either man or God, and whether it's a steady or punctuated process), but ultimately the only real alternatives to evolution are:
  • Completely static.  Wolves beget wolves, apes beget apes, lizards beget lizards.
  • Completely dynamic.  Three-toed sloths beget woolly mammoths, goldfish beget flying squirrels, jesuit priests beget leprechauns.
Both of the above have evidence to the contrary.  The latter by the fact that offspring do generally have some sort of resemblance to their parents (gross sexual dimorphism and juvenile metamorphosis into adult forms aside, although there are some interesting ideas about these concepts from some people that push the envelope a bit large for the likes of others).
The former's disproof is reliant upon examination either of fossil records (which people are free to dispute and re-examine, but the anti-evolution set do tend only to do so from a close-minded perspective, as opposed to a more scientific viewpoint which allows for existing ideas about inter-species lineage to be invalidated but is more than able to produce alternate branching patterns in Life's family tree in their stead) or of rapid-succession systems such as in bacterial cultures, or mice, that can be observed well within a human's inquisitive life-time (arguments can be made about whether selection is natural or artificial in this instance, but doesn't invalidate the dynamism of evolution itself).

Some may even want to ignore intra-species variation (e.g. creation of dog breeds), although I would argue that there is no difference between speciation and the (natural or managed) breeding of traits into a sub-set of a given species, except time and/or distance.  (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_species as an primitive example of both time and distance creating genetic differences that allow for 'minor' variations that still allow interbreeding and 'major' ones that do not.

So, indeed, it is a theory.  Don't denigrate it for that.  And it is most definitely persuasive.  An alternate postulation is that (especially from a YEC viewpoint) the earth and rock beneath our feet (or at least within the cliffs and other eroding areas) have been populated with 'fossil evidence' by a trickster God who also waves His hand over lab experiments and dog-breeding kennels alike, and doubtless might also apply Himself to ensuring that planets keep encircling their stars and that light is always measured as traveling at the same speed regardless of relative frames of reference between source and observer.  But there's a guy called Occam, known to wield a cutting implement, who might take issue with one pursuing that idea too far...

Which is not to say that there might not be something else behind it all (e.g. aliens nipping in and snipping and rearranging and replacing DNA of all reproducing creatures in-between the universal 'ticks' of time, according to some plan), but for now all the alternatives are very much extraordinary concepts that will need extraordinary evidence to support them.  If you'll forgive a degree of hyperbole.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3057 on: March 30, 2010, 09:21:21 am »

Yes we do know Evolution happens. The most 'powerful' example is the Common Cold, which happily evolves so fast and so frequently that it's basically impossible to vaccinate against; any vaccination you develop will be ineffective before it even hits the streets.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3058 on: March 30, 2010, 09:28:35 am »

actually, many biological mechanisms have influence on the mind and perception.
For instance, reward mechanisms create addictive behaviours, which are inherently selfish and thus usually perceived as immoral.
imbalances in brain chemistry cause mental disorders such as depression and such.
Hormones affect the mind, extra estrogen makes for an emotional wreck, while testosteron for short tempers and competitiveness. 
etc etc. enough evidence that the mind is a emergent property of biological processes, which are also present in animals.

no body = no mind, mind = soul, no soul = no afterlife, no afterlife = no religion.

also if the theoretical soul is not linked to morality, then there is no reason to live morally with regard to the putative afterlife.

edit:
ah new post interjected. :) EVOLUTION disbelief.
One other problem with layman interpreteation of evolution is actually that of the 'acquired trait' hypothesis that predates evolution as Darwin described it.
e.g. creatures gain traits that help them survive during their life and pass these on to their offspring. Just like superheroes marvell style. (though these dont seem stable mutations ;) )

As a result, the imagined timeframe is far too short, also laymen expect to be able to see creatures evolving all the time. When they don't see a penguin in a zoo evolving flight to escape the enclosement, this proves to them evolution is unlikely.
Spoiler: pedantic rant (click to show/hide)
edit: It seems Jhreengus preceded me with Lamarck 's hypothesis vs evolution. Good one bud. :)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 09:56:11 am by Areyar »

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3059 on: March 30, 2010, 09:34:33 am »

The mind and perception are biological mechanisms. That's why when you poke the brain wierd things happen.
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 370