Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 392632 times)

Naresomez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #2895 on: March 25, 2010, 06:31:56 pm »

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

— Epicurus, philosopher (c. 341-270 BCE)
Recaptcha Pictionary!
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51755.0

"And on the 5th frame, He bowleth a strike, and there was much rejoicing to be had."

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2896 on: March 25, 2010, 06:33:33 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEeBPSvcNZQ

A panel discussion with Dawkins, Tyson and two other, less visible and eloquent personas. Mostly about science and religion.
Quite relevant to the discussion Sordid and Siquo have had a while ago.
Not at all irrelevant to the thread in general.
If you have an hour to spare, that is.
Even if you don't have an hour to spare... it was a pretty good video.  Just try to ignore the tendencies of Ann and listen to the message.  (She tended to be a bit... drawn out... in her cases.)  Neil did great, as did Richard Dawkins.  The other gentleman (Victor) sounded almost like the grouchy old man in the room though. :p
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2897 on: March 25, 2010, 07:06:21 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEeBPSvcNZQ

A panel discussion with Dawkins, Tyson and two other, less visible and eloquent personas. Mostly about science and religion.
Quite relevant to the discussion Sordid and Siquo have had a while ago.
Not at all irrelevant to the thread in general.
If you have an hour to spare, that is.
Even if you don't have an hour to spare... it was a pretty good video.  Just try to ignore the tendencies of Ann and listen to the message.  (She tended to be a bit... drawn out... in her cases.)  Neil did great, as did Richard Dawkins.  The other gentleman (Victor) sounded almost like the grouchy old man in the room though. :p

Although, I do have to disagree with the ending for technical reasons. Science has nothing to say about supernatural phenomena because if science has something to say about it, it has become a natural phenomenon. Science and religion operate in non-overlapping spheres, not because science shouldn't investigate things stated by religion, but because any scientific investigation into a matter of faith eliminates the faith in that matter. Essentially, religion gets whatever science CAN'T answer (practically speaking, anyway; I don't think it's worth trying to persuasively argue against a believer in order to convince them of something that hasn't been demonstrated), and whenever science comes to a new answer, religion doesn't get to explain that anymore. Or at least, that's how I see the dichotomy.

Short version: it's not that science has no place dealing in the supernatural, it's that science by definition does not deal in the supernatural.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2898 on: March 25, 2010, 07:40:58 pm »

Ah, I didn't know that you're just playing games with Siquo. Please let me know next time so I don't bother actually having a discussion with you... ::)
QFT.

I'm just in the habit of taking everyone seriously, however strange they may be. That makes me an easy joke-target, but I can live with that. The benefits outweigh that tremendously.

What the hell is wrong with this forum? Can't you people recognize sarcasm when you see it?
But why would you, Siquo, of all people, take offense at that and cut the conversation, even if you mistook it for being serious? I thought you didn't believe in reasoning.

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2899 on: March 25, 2010, 08:37:47 pm »

Siquo, I'd recommend you just ignore those people who only seem to come in here to have an angry argument with you specifically.

Anyway, moving on...

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2900 on: March 25, 2010, 08:40:04 pm »

Siquo, I'd recommend you just ignore those people who only seem to come in here to have an angry argument with you specifically.

Anyway, moving on...

I'd have to agree.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2901 on: March 25, 2010, 08:54:22 pm »

any scientific investigation into a matter of faith eliminates the faith in that matter.
Describe to me the difference between faith and ignorance then.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2902 on: March 25, 2010, 08:57:41 pm »

Anyway, moving on...

I'd have to agree.

I also agree. People getting angry at each other on the internet, that's just a waste of time.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2903 on: March 25, 2010, 08:58:27 pm »

Well done. Now moving on.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2904 on: March 25, 2010, 09:15:09 pm »

It is pretty easy to reason that an all-powerful god is not supporting human agendas. It may be helping humans out according to its own agenda, but given the differences of opinion between humans and such a god, it isn't actually helping humans at all.

So I suggest that the real question is, how weak/blind/uncaring can it get and still be a god?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #2905 on: March 25, 2010, 09:35:33 pm »

That video sure pegged Siquo. ;)

supernatural deals in fantasy and is opposed to reality, so yeah, science can only prove it false.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 09:38:58 pm by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2906 on: March 25, 2010, 09:37:08 pm »

any scientific investigation into a matter of faith eliminates the faith in that matter.
Describe to me the difference between faith and ignorance then.

The investigation can fail to turn up evidence, allowing ignorance to remain, while still eliminating faith in the matter, if the actual investigation was sound and only got fouled up due to technical errors. The difference is that faith implies belief in something regardless of evidence or the lack thereof (not NECESSARILY in spite of), while ignorance simply implies a lack of knowledge one way or the other.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2907 on: March 25, 2010, 10:00:27 pm »

I always wanted to be a magician, so I choose to be a scientist.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2908 on: March 26, 2010, 04:38:45 am »

Haven't seen the video yet.

Bauglir: I whole-heartedly agree.

Sordid: I also take sarcasm seriously (IMNSHO: sarcasm is a form of weakness), but in that last quotewall-"rebuttal" you were really grasping at straws. If you want to be responded to again, please do so seriously, and I'll resume taking you seriously as well :)

Areyar: Re-read Bauglir: Science cannot prove it false if it's outside of the realm of science. Science pretends/believes/assumes that the supernatural does not exist. It's quite autistic like that. It's an entymologist that ignores the Gorilla because "that's not his field". That filtered view is what's gotten science where it is: disregard as much information as possible.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2909 on: March 26, 2010, 04:51:06 am »

That video sure pegged Siquo. ;)

supernatural deals in fantasy and is opposed to reality, so yeah, science can only prove it false.
I disagree. As Tyson said(around 54th minute in), science can disprove fallacies like Earth being created 4000 B.C., but it's got nothing to say about whenever believing in Jesus will get you to heaven. It just doesn't concern itself with that kind of questions.
From what I gathered, Siquo's religiousness is centered around this personal affirmation of something good coming from his belief in God, and not around blind acceptance of every word in the scripture.
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 370