Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 393002 times)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #2820 on: March 24, 2010, 06:22:52 pm »

It's a common question amongst humanity: Why is there suffering? No reason just because, or it has a reason and serves a bigger Purpose? I found solace in that last one.

Guys, I don't think you should argue with Siquo about this part, quite frankly. Arguing against a personal belief he found solace in just because you disagree doesn't reflect well on you, unless you have good reasons for doing it. Especially as long as it's a rather inoffensive belief, such as saying "there might be a bigger purpose to things".
The whole idea that things happen on purpose is very iffy though.  I mean, this god would have had to allow millions of people to die in the holocaust, those of which claimed alliance with such a god, for the purpose of proving a point?  That's just one example.  I'm not sure any point is that grave.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #2821 on: March 24, 2010, 06:30:24 pm »

I don't agree.
"because it makes me feel good" is not absolute proof but a personal feeling.
As a personal reason to agree to something illogical, that is fine.
Just don't try use it as an argument in a discussion where you claim to be logical.

Also, this thread is about belief and unbelief, why not attack belief because it is personal, especially when not-attacking is seen as agreeing.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 06:32:18 pm by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

masam

• Bay Watcher
  • How lovely...Burn it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2822 on: March 24, 2010, 07:39:00 pm »

Lack of proof does not = the lack of a thing.  that's a logical fallacy.  evidence simply does not exist in one way or another to disprove or prve that statement.

And it's also logically fallacious to consider something true despite a lack of evidence.
Did you hear me claim that it was so because of lack of evidence?  No, I did not.  In fact I said evidence does not exist to prove OR disprove a god.  I never said he exists because of the lack of evidence.  like you said, that's a fallacy and silly.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2823 on: March 24, 2010, 07:57:27 pm »

That's not what I said. I said it's fallacious to believe in something despite a lack of evidence, not because of a lack of evidence.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

masam

• Bay Watcher
  • How lovely...Burn it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2824 on: March 24, 2010, 08:07:57 pm »

Ah ok, sorry for misinterpreting that.

Do you mind telling me which logical fallacy that is?

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2825 on: March 24, 2010, 08:29:33 pm »

My name is Micro102 and I am actually the christian god, this thread muses me  8)

(prepares for whatever he just started)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2826 on: March 24, 2010, 08:42:56 pm »

My name is Micro102 and I am actually the christian god, this thread muses me  8)
Can you answer me a few questions?  Why do we only have two arms?
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2827 on: March 24, 2010, 08:44:40 pm »

'S a good point, actually. I'm riding a bike and I try to scratch my back and I just end up flipping into a heather bush. Your plan for creation seems a bit iffy too. I could proofread if you like.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2828 on: March 24, 2010, 08:46:39 pm »

'S a good point, actually. I'm riding a bike and I try to scratch my back and I just end up flipping into a heather bush. Your plan for creation seems a bit iffy too. I could proofread if you like.

Why couldn't we have had orgasms lasting as long as those of pigs? Seriously, dude. Half a goddamn hour.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2829 on: March 24, 2010, 08:49:10 pm »

Why couldn't we have had orgasms lasting as long as those of pigs? Seriously, dude. Half a goddamn hour.

How come it's lobsters what get the immortality tag?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #2830 on: March 24, 2010, 08:52:52 pm »

Because apparently creation was boring, we all use the bonyfish template.
Because I wouldnt get any work done.
Because lobstoids are tasty, thus that immortality is not worth much.

edit: Oh wait! I am no longer GOD.
so....why can't you use google? if you are omnipotent, why would you need to ask?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 08:54:23 pm by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2831 on: March 24, 2010, 08:53:04 pm »

And would it have killed ya to have given us prehensile tails? Also, possibly, heat vision?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2832 on: March 24, 2010, 08:53:12 pm »

You know extra eyes would have been useful, 4 pairs each facing at 90 degrees, no more walking into each things. Possibly a fifth pair facing straight up to avoid hitting my head as I stand up.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2833 on: March 24, 2010, 08:54:20 pm »

I flipped a 1 billion sided coin >_>

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2834 on: March 24, 2010, 09:00:02 pm »

I flipped a 1 billion sided coin >_>

[suspicion] Sounds like a die to me. I'd expect an omniscient being to know that sort of thing.
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 370