Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 393149 times)

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #2700 on: March 23, 2010, 08:20:32 am »

This tread is interesting.
But because you don't understand each other you're questioning each other integrity.
While this is of course a possibility, I don't think that anyone is being dishonest about their toughs and belief. 
The problem here is that the atheists are doing a conceptual mistake : you cannot have faith in something scientific.
Actually, science is the way of understanding the universe without faith. No dogma.

In a religion, first you assume some dogma are true, then you understand the world according to them.
If you change the dogma, then you have a schism.

In science, you should not have any dogma : if tomorrow someone present a self heating box, he'll disprove energy conservation. And thus disproved, without hopes of remission most physical theory.
There will be new ones, old ones will still work, but just as newton law they will only be utilitarian.
No one should believe in a theory, or in a science fact. They are guess. Good guess. The best we can make, but guess none the less.

Thus trying to convince a religious man with science fact, is like trying to move a rock with a lullaby : you prove that there is no angels in the sky? "God is trying my faith" "they are there but cannot be seen" or they just ignore that the catholics took this very seriously and try to rely on the tough that it was all a metaphor.
Which is the logical thing to do is you're trying to please a lunatic deity who will make literally a hell of your alter-life if you don't believe in it.

I am afraid that the reason we don't believe is god is that we don't see the world as you do.

Now if you want reason not to believe, I can give some.

Edit : Neruz, you're confused : you are the one saying anything is possible while theist rely on one interpretation of the world. Note that theism is vague enough o mean anything but is only one point of view none the less.

edit : Is this better?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 09:13:31 am by Phmcw »
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2701 on: March 23, 2010, 08:25:04 am »

I might suggest that you get a better grasp of the English language before attempting to engage in philosophical discource.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2702 on: March 23, 2010, 08:43:12 am »

Atheists are among my least favorite militant fundamentalists.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2703 on: March 23, 2010, 08:45:29 am »

At least try and pretend that you're not blatantly trolling RedKing.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: March 23, 2010, 09:07:23 am »

@Phmcw

What is faith worth anyway?
I understand that science may be wrong as well, but since I don't believe, it is the most right we can get. Even for people of faith, science can easily be the second best answer.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: March 23, 2010, 09:18:18 am »

I try to avoid faith in every aspect of my life, so I am not the right person to defend it.
I think belief is wrong. That it is a way of thinking that lead you nowhere.
Everything is wrong if you seek absolute truth.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2706 on: March 23, 2010, 09:40:29 am »

At least try and pretend that you're not blatantly trolling RedKing.

Not really trolling. While I have some respect for atheism as a system of thought, I've found many atheists (particularly those who wear it on their sleeve) to be as opinionated, arrogant and condescending as any Pentecostal Bible-beater. IMHO, atheism is just another religion and as such, is subject to many of the flaws and excesses that its adherents decry in religion in general.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #2707 on: March 23, 2010, 09:45:08 am »

Then please amend that statement. Not all athiests preach their beliefs, only some.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2708 on: March 23, 2010, 09:56:03 am »

I think he is relating atheism to commmunists, or nazi's.....very idiotic and stereotypical mistake that a lot of people make.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #2709 on: March 23, 2010, 09:58:50 am »

No he isn't. He realises that some athiests tend to preach a bit and get converts and make a ruckus and so on. He just has to understand that not all athiests are like that.

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2710 on: March 23, 2010, 10:01:00 am »

IMHO, atheism is just another religion [...]

uh-oh ...

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: March 23, 2010, 10:08:06 am »

(particularly those who wear it on their sleeve)
This implied to me that  :P

According to the definitions given on this thread, atheism is a religion. I thinkt he onlything keeping it from becoming offical is that if it is a religion groups would be able to do things like collect donations and get tax cuts and stuff other religions can do. A lot of laws against athiests would be removed too.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: March 23, 2010, 10:08:58 am »

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2713 on: March 23, 2010, 10:13:11 am »

IMHO, atheism is just another religion [...]
Yes but let's be honest here, monotheism and polytheism are both just as bad religions.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: March 23, 2010, 10:15:34 am »

According to the definitions given on this thread, atheism is a religion.

According to Neruz' and Grakelin's private definition, atheism is a religion according to Grakelin and not a religion according to Neruz.
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 370