Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 393691 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #2040 on: March 08, 2010, 07:25:51 pm »

Cannot be a policeman if your an atheist? Wtf :racism: ?????

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: March 08, 2010, 07:27:00 pm »

Cannot be a policeman if your an atheist? Wtf :racism: ?????

Discrimination, not racism.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: March 08, 2010, 07:34:10 pm »

Then what about that law that prevents people from refusing to hire someone based on their beliefs?

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: March 08, 2010, 07:37:21 pm »

Then what about that law that prevents people from refusing to hire someone based on their beliefs?

It's Discrimination, not racism. Racism is Discrimination based on race (You cannot to X because you are Chinese). You can't label Discrimination based on Religion as Discrimination based on Race, because that is silly and meaningless.

Additionally, Discrimination requires unreasonable Discrimination. It is not unreasonable to say that you may not be a Bishop of the Catholic Church if you are not Catholic. It is unreasonable to say you can't work at a McDonalds if you are not Catholic.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: March 08, 2010, 09:17:54 pm »

No racism extends to beliefs as well. There is even a law that keeps people from being discriminated against religion but atheism is being debated as not a religion. Maybe if it was 90% of those laws would be removed... :-\

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: March 08, 2010, 09:56:09 pm »

No racism extends to beliefs as well. There is even a law that keeps people from being discriminated against religion but atheism is being debated as not a religion. Maybe if it was 90% of those laws would be removed... :-\

No you're getting it confused.

Racism is a subset of discrimination.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: March 08, 2010, 09:57:52 pm »

Not according to the big notice sign in my old job that stated the laws of why you can and cannot be hired.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: March 08, 2010, 09:58:42 pm »

RACEism.

If it's not a race, it cannot possibly be subject to Racism. Jews are a race, and thus can be subject to racism, Catholics are not a race, and thus cannot.

Atheism is not a religion, a religion is a series or set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature and purpose of the universe. Atheism is not a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature and purpose of the universe, it is the denial of theism (theism being the belief in the existence of God or Gods).

That is all. Atheism does not say why the Universe is here, it does not seek to explain anything, all Atheism is is the denial of Theism, the denial of God or Gods.

A Religion says "This is why the Universe is the way it is.", Theism says "God\Gods exist." a Theist Religion says "The reason why the Universe is the way it is is because God\Gods made it that way.", Atheism says "God\Gods do not exist."

Don't get the three mixed up or you'll never be able to properly participate in any meaningful discussion, since you'll spend your entire time missing the point.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 10:01:16 pm by Neruz »

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: March 08, 2010, 10:00:18 pm »

Also, AskOxford Definition of Racism:

noun
1 the belief that there are characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to each race.
2 discrimination against or antagonism towards other races.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: March 08, 2010, 10:08:28 pm »

Ok that's what i used to think but it changed when i read that notice board. Must of read it wrong or something. Anyway do you think that if atheism was a religion that a bunch of these laws would go away? Not saying it is, at least not according to the definition of religion and my own beliefs but some people say it is.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: March 08, 2010, 10:11:38 pm »

Ok that's what i used to think but it changed when i read that notice board. Must of read it wrong or something. Anyway do you think that if atheism was a religion that a bunch of these laws would go away? Not saying it is, at least not according to the definition of religion and my own beliefs but some people say it is.

Your question is asinine. If Atheistism wasnt what it is, then yes items dealing with it would be different.

Those who say that Atheistism is a religion, they either have a poor understanding or attempting a poor argument.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: March 08, 2010, 10:12:52 pm »

The main problem with that is the whole revolving around one being thing....but some people argue that you can use newton or Darwin.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: March 08, 2010, 10:14:49 pm »

The main problem with that is the whole revolving around one being thing....but some people argue that you can use newton or Darwin.

What? Clarification please.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: March 08, 2010, 10:23:05 pm »

Micro, you're not making a lick of sense.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: March 08, 2010, 11:55:20 pm »

He's trying to say an "Athiest Church" could worship Darwin or Issac Newton.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 370