Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 393807 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #1920 on: October 26, 2009, 11:16:00 pm »

And i would really like someone to try and answer that question.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: October 27, 2009, 06:50:48 am »

The monotheist believes that they have found the truth and that any alternative is irrelevant?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: October 27, 2009, 09:58:27 am »

I knew this guy who said that Jesus was the answer to everything. So when he asked the time, I replied: Jesus.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: October 27, 2009, 10:06:52 am »

I knew this guy who said that Jesus was the answer to everything. So when he asked the time, I replied: Jesus.

Owned.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: October 27, 2009, 10:40:47 am »

Rofl genius

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: October 27, 2009, 08:32:33 pm »

The monotheist believes that they have found the truth and that any alternative is irrelevant?
Actually, it would apply to anything but a pantheist? omnitheist?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: October 28, 2009, 09:19:54 pm »

A new religion has risen!

Can this be a milestone step in Dawkins becoming atheist pope and enlightening the world?
With such a large gathering of atheists, will there be atheist churches some day?

It seems a little ironic. I just hope that the same people who complain about organized religion don't band together and create one.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: October 28, 2009, 09:24:48 pm »

You only just found out about the Athiest Convention?

My mother and little brother are going to it.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: October 29, 2009, 12:45:23 am »

Well I guess E3 and ComicCon are religions now.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: October 29, 2009, 02:03:57 am »

The claim that Atheism is a Relgion is only made by people who do not understand what Religions are, which is kind of scary, considering how often you hear it and how it's usually Religious people saying it. Seriously, you would have thought they'd at least know what it was they were dedicating their life too.

Apparantly not.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: October 29, 2009, 02:05:03 am »

I just found out about it after an atheist buddy of mine mentioned about how atheism has finally become recognized. "People are now quitting their religions and becoming atheists!"

E3 is a sign that computer games are now a powerful economic force.
ComicCon is a sign that comic books have a very strong fan base.

The Athiest Convention shows that Atheism is now a valid belief. It's a little creepy seeing it turn into an organized group. As much as everyone avoids calling it a religion, when you start trying to convert people, it becomes a religion. Now that there's actually a significant number of atheists, I'd like to see if everything atheists have criticized about religion would happen. Frankly, it's difficult to start killing people in the name of something nobody believes in.

But now that it's become as acceptable, even embraced, we shall see if Atheism has the same negative effects as any other major religion in due time.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: October 29, 2009, 02:09:20 am »

*Facepalm*

A religion is a system of human thought which usually includes a set of narratives, symbols, beliefs and practices that give meaning to the practitioner's experiences of life through reference to a higher power, deity or deities, or ultimate truth.

Explain to me how Atheism can possibly be a Religion. Go on, try.

What i think you mean to say is that Atheism is an organisation, but your bigotry is blinding you.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: October 29, 2009, 02:52:10 am »

Taken from the same source of your description:
Quote from:  Wikipedia quotes Talal Asad
Religious scholars generally agree that writing a single definition that applies to all religions is difficult or even impossible, because all people examine religion with some kind of critical eye, and the term is therefore fraught with ideological consequences for anyone who might want to construct a universal definition. Talal Asad writes that "there cannot be a universal definition of religion ... because that definition is itself the historical product of discursive processes"

So, no, you can't really define religion. USA courts legally ruled that it was a religion, though, and I'm sure they debated for days about it.

"Up is down, and atheism, the antithesis of religion, is religion," said Fahling.

The Supreme Court has said a religion need not be based on a belief in the existence of a supreme being. In the 1961 case of Torcaso v. Watkins, the court described "secular humanism" as a religion.

Not the point though. I meant to say that it's become an increasingly organized set of beliefs. There's a point in every religion where it moves from an oppressed group of people who believe the same thing into a large, accepted organization, and that's what's happening.

It will be a religion when:
1. They create a proper symbol for atheism.
2. They create a ritualistic set of actions, like monthly meetings/debates.
3. Someone tells atheists what to do and what to believe, and nobody questions him/her.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: October 29, 2009, 03:29:54 am »

Not the point though. I meant to say that it's become an increasingly organized set of beliefs.

No, it hasn't.

Certain atheistic tendencies or groups, maybe. Atheism ITSELF is not. The only reason you're calling those "increasingly organized set(s) of belief" "atheism" is because they don't generally have names of their own. Except sometimes they actually do. "Secular Humanism" is mentioned in the article and is in fact a specific and cohesive philosophy/group. "Atheism" itself never will be, as it simply does not describe one.

So to say that Atheistic religion is possible, sure. But Atheism is not and will not ever be, itself, a religion. It's simply a concept, and I find it extremely bizarre that you would say that just because some atheistic tendencies, philosophies, or groups are getting more organized or specific about their beliefs means that the very concept of Atheism is doing the same. It's preposterous and illogical. Just because, say, Secular Humanism, or some popular atheistic phiilosophy gains momentum as an organized set of beliefs, that does not mean that Atheism itself has ever changed, as "atheism" itself is not the group in question.

Edit: Bracket usage caused accidental strikeout. Oops.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 04:21:34 pm by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: October 29, 2009, 03:48:58 am »

How can Atheism be an organised set of beliefs? It is one, single belief; there is no God.
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 370