Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 394726 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #1230 on: September 06, 2009, 07:42:29 pm »

Can't believe he got warned for that, once we get more moderators, this will turn into ESF.

Earth Special Forces?

Honestly, what does esf mean in this context?

Getting warned for calling someone "an extremist pessimist dedicated to remove all fun from life" because they're atheistic doesn't really seem too shocking or out of line to me.

Possible. It would depend on it would be taken if it was said about other religions, or philo, or lack of religion.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #1231 on: September 06, 2009, 08:45:15 pm »

Elder Scrolls Forum, a forum with particularly strict moderation, a good number of threads are deleted if they criticize a bit too much, moderators avoid telling you what your offense was.
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: September 06, 2009, 08:53:33 pm »

That's a false dichotomy. The only alternative to total chaos and anarchy and dog-eat-dog world isn't a fascist totalitarian regime with thought control and torture.

Not to mention the slippery slope: if we start warning people who insult others for no reason, we will end up crucifying people for littering.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: September 06, 2009, 09:09:05 pm »

Elder Scrolls Forum, a forum with particularly strict moderation, a good number of threads are deleted if they criticize a bit too much, moderators avoid telling you what your offense was.

Well, look at it this way. The person here directly insulted a person, claiming that the fact he was an Atheist meant that he felt he had to disagree with everything the atheist said, and also that he was "an extremist pessimist dedicated to remove all fun from life", which was an unnecessary (not to mention untrue, he's actually a funny guy) personal attack.

Now stop this and continue to discuss Atheism! Because we should!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: September 06, 2009, 11:17:25 pm »

Well, it's a generally accepted fact that God doesn't break the rules.

That one stems from the whole all-good and omnipotence thing. If God had to break the rules to do something, then the rules God created were poorly made, and someone who is omnipotent shouldn't be able to make something poorly.
This doesn't really have much to do with atheism, but if the rules are so good, why are there people who don't want to go to heaven?
If god is the source of everything, and perfectly moulds everything to to exact specifications, including its performance perpetually into the future, then free will CANNOT exist, as god created everything with full knowledge of what it would result in and deliberately chose to proceed with that state. If free will does not exist then religion, which exists solely within the realm of choice, is meaningless...
Here god seems to have a consciousness...

Can God do evil? By nature, no - since God is defined as the fullest being possible and evil is a negation of being, definitely not.
Thankyou very much for the definitions!

You define your god as being, and Evil as unbeing, this seems consistent with my definition of Evil...
This has nothing to do with the definition of a god, Evil is defined as opposing the one who defines Evil, in this case Evil is defined as opposing a god. So yes, a god CAN perform Evil actions, but only when its actions result in opposition to one of its purposes... This would seem to be the case when humans, which be, and therefore much be a part of all being, which would be your god, oppose one another's expression of that being, hence limiting the fullness of being.
 Personally I would define a god as a patron, and as such there could be gods that have nothing to do with creation, I suspect that some stories of angels would be sufficient to define them as gods...
Your definition of Evil seems much better suited to destruction, which is, of course, an ever-present part of our world. Much more so than creation, as all things are created temporary with its permanent loss in its future. And such losses are eternal...

(Evil being defined here as a privation: A baby without wings has not had "evil" done to it, since it never had wings to begin with. A bird without wings definitely has had "evil" done to it.)
but what of a baby without life? Was it not created so that it would be given life and lose it with certainty? If your god is incapable of propagating Evil then why do birds have fragile wings, that can be lost without intent, as a simple result of existing in a place of your gods perfect designing?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: September 06, 2009, 11:19:07 pm »

Whats to discuss? They don't believe in any Gods, so what?
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: September 06, 2009, 11:19:35 pm »

Whats to discuss they don't believe in any Gods, who cares?

83 pages prove you wrong.

Broose

• Bay Watcher
  • Pilfering Gatorhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: September 06, 2009, 11:26:11 pm »

83 pages of stupid arguments, and people saying they will stop posting, only to continue posting.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: September 06, 2009, 11:29:08 pm »

It passes for discussion in a poor light.

Broose

• Bay Watcher
  • Pilfering Gatorhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: September 06, 2009, 11:33:24 pm »

This thread dissapoints me. Normally religion threads are places you go when you look for dramatic flamewars, but it has been 83 pages, and it has not been locked. Nice one guys, you somehow ruined one of the internet's greatest pasttimes.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: September 06, 2009, 11:35:23 pm »

Ah, so you'd rather there was a huge flamewar, creating dissonance between forumsgoers, possible bannings and pissing Toady off? That's all flamewars here do.

Broose

• Bay Watcher
  • Pilfering Gatorhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: September 06, 2009, 11:36:34 pm »

Exactly.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: September 06, 2009, 11:37:15 pm »

Well then kindly jump thread. Flamewars degrade the forum as a whole and we don't need them here.

Broose

• Bay Watcher
  • Pilfering Gatorhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: September 06, 2009, 11:40:33 pm »

I thought you've said, before, that sometimes you go looking for locked threads, just to see the drama? I am pretty sure you said that.  Either way, I don't plan on starting anything. I am only here to watch. Watch and wait.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: September 06, 2009, 11:41:47 pm »

Oh, if a thread's been locked due to drama, it's a bit late for anyone to have stopped it, so I'm fine with watching it. But starting a flamewar is bad. I'm glad you don't want to.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 370