Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 394901 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #1080 on: August 31, 2009, 06:04:52 pm »

Only if "condoms cause AIDS" is a logical argument

That is a misunderstanding of what the Pope said.

Though the whole "Lets give Condoms to Africa" thing was pretty much a mask so people could pretend like they were helping Africa.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: August 31, 2009, 06:07:03 pm »

Oh, please.

http://www.cdc.gov/condomeffectiveness/latex.htm

Latex condoms, when used consistently and correctly, are highly effective in preventing the sexual transmission of HIV, the virus that causes AIDS. In addition, consistent and correct use of latex condoms reduces the risk of other sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), including diseases transmitted by genital secretions, and to a lesser degree, genital ulcer diseases. Condom use may reduce the risk for genital human papillomavirus (HPV) infection and HPV-associated diseases, e.g., genital warts and cervical cancer.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 06:08:34 pm by Ampersand »
!!&!!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: August 31, 2009, 06:18:54 pm »

when used consistently and correctly

That is where it starts to get concerning. Guess what the percent change it will prevent HIV under those conditions? :D

Not to mention what are the numbers even even under labratory conditions?

It isn't a real solution to a systematic problem, it is just something that makes people feel better.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 06:20:45 pm by Neonivek »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: August 31, 2009, 06:20:50 pm »

when used consistently and correctly

That is where it starts to get concerning. Guess what the percent change it will prevent HIV under those conditions? :D
The chance of preventing the spread of HIV approches 99% when condoms are used correctly.  For the Pope's argument to be correct, condoms would have to increase promiscuity by some 9900%.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: August 31, 2009, 06:23:21 pm »

No Leafsnail, what I mean is. Do you know what the percents become when they are even slightly incorrectly used? It drops sharply.

condoms would have to increase promiscuity by some 9900%

Ignoring what I said earlier... This would also be incorrect since your statistic would assume people would have sex only once ever.

I myself am not against condoms, but realise it isn't a realistic solution.

Ohh well, now Ill have to try harder not to check back in here.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 06:26:19 pm by Neonivek »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: August 31, 2009, 06:29:09 pm »

Hence why condoms are given out along with education on how to use one correctly.  It's not rocket science.

Ignoring what I said earlier... This would also be incorrect since your statistic would assume people would have sex only once ever.
Nope.  If a person has sex with another unprotected, the chance of spreading HIV is close to 100%.  The chance with a condom is roughly 1% if used correctly, so the Pope's argument that condoms cause harm only works if people have 100x more sex due to condoms, which, to be honest, just isn't going to happen.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: August 31, 2009, 06:33:34 pm »

Once again, my offer of coming over to hang out with the cool, non-committal kids who don't get into arguments like this (anymore) still stands. We do have cookies!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: August 31, 2009, 06:46:23 pm »

Some protection is better than no protection.

I'm pretty sure that 99% of all major 'corrupted by religion' events were actually political events using religion as a tool.
Exactly! Religion can be used as a tool, people are too loyal to religion and it can easily have people acting without thinking of the consequences.
Someone wasn't paying attention.  Muz was responding to a statement along the lines of "any damn thing can be corrupted."  You aren't proving anything by saying religion can be used as a manipulative tool.  There are so many things that can.  Just look at the health care debate in America.  Surprisingly, there's not much religion in most of the manipulative statements by the more raving and fanatical of the republicans.

I normally don't like doing this, but at this point the argument seems to be whether or not religion is "evil," which implies that any with religion would be evil.  That is what you seem to be suggesting, RAM.  Also, you previously spoke of good intentions being able to countering God's will.  God's will, according to Christianity, is to do good.  I see a lot of strawmen in your arguments.  And you nitpick at little details.  To sound reasonable, you need a strong, central argument, which I don't think even exists for your purpose.  What are you even trying to do?  Disprove God (something not even well-defined in the first place)?  Make Christians conform to your views?  Just complain?  Whatever it is, you're probably having the same effect on Christians as any unreasonable Christian that would go raving about how sinful atheism is would have on you.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: August 31, 2009, 06:50:39 pm »

The problem is that this whole debate has gone off on some weird non-reasoned tangent that equates Good and Bad with True and False.
!!&!!

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: August 31, 2009, 07:42:19 pm »

Once again, my offer of coming over to hang out with the cool, non-committal kids who don't get into arguments like this (anymore) still stands. We do have cookies!

Guh. I'm pulling out of this before it goes into politics and I explode.

Can I have cookies?
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: August 31, 2009, 08:16:39 pm »

People fuck no matter what. Teenage kids get bored. Give them condemns, move on.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: August 31, 2009, 08:50:04 pm »

I think giving them condemnation is what is hurting this problem in the first place (and yes, that's a joke, I understand you just made a typo).

Granted, that attitude is a bit fatalistic anyway. Just because teenagers are driven to have sex doesn't mean you can't teach them about it or how to go about it responsibly, even if half of them won't end up being responsible anyway half the time.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: August 31, 2009, 08:57:58 pm »

Why is everyone spending so much time on this arguement? I mean, really. Life's short, lets bone.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: August 31, 2009, 09:27:01 pm »

Why is everyone spending so much time on this arguement? I mean, really. Life's short, lets bone.

I think the ideal solution would be to argue about the pope while having sex. It's all about multitasking.

Edit : Wait, sex and religion? And this topic isn't locked yet? Madness!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 09:29:09 pm by kinseti »

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: August 31, 2009, 11:15:41 pm »

I think I called for locking it way back in page 2 or 3
!!&!!
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 370